er9x and multirotors

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Stuartambient

er9x and multirotors

Post by Stuartambient »

Still learning rc and just modded to er9x I started with a quad, haven't tried a plane yet, so all I've with the 9x to date is a basic setup, but no complicated mixes or dr/expo messing. Guess I'm confused, some of the functionality seems to be present in both radios and flight controllers. I think I can set rates on my fc, but also on the radio. So wondering how to utilize er9x with multirotors, if that makes any sense? I understand and have used switches to turn on lights change a mode in the fc. I also understand how it might be helpful with cameras, fpv, etc.

bob195558

Re: er9x and multirotors

Post by bob195558 »

Stuartambient wrote: So wondering how to utilize er9x with multirotors, if that makes any sense?
Hi Stuartambient,
Multirotor (Quads) are much the same as planes and are setup and programmed much the same way.
The differences depend on what hardware is being used and to what you wish to do with that hardware.
Being you are new to RC Hobby, there can be a large leaning curve depending on if you are looking to mostly fly
or learning and implementing new capability as you grow in your new hobby.
Not knowing what you have for hardware other than 9x radio with er9x firmware installed,
it is difficult to suggest what to do to utilize er9x with your quad.
My experience, if you are planning to use the 8 channel stock receiver and transmitter, I suggest you consider purchasing the
FrSky XJT module with its D-Series or X-Series receivers as these will increase your reliability and capability to utilize er9x.
Also be thinking about upgrading your 9x radio with the 9Xtreme upgrade board as it will make it easy to greatly increase many capability,
like telemetry data from your quad while flying (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182). :)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Stuartambient

Post by Stuartambient »

Bob, thanks for the reply. Things are starting to become clearer. I just programmed two simple models and becoming more familiar with the screens. My biggest areas of confusion is PID's and rates on the fc versus rates/expo on the transmitter. The manual is very helpful ;) and from there I can just play around a bit and see what I get.

I am actually planning the further upgrades, FrSky first and then maybe the 9xtreme. The firmware mod was new to me and took a few practice sessions to feel comfortable with small pads, the telemetry and voice mod may not be for me yet, which is why I would consider the board.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You need to do both upgrades at the same time. Installing 9Xtreme makes XJT a plug and play proposition.
Stuartambient

Post by Stuartambient »

Daedalus66 wrote:You need to do both upgrades at the same time. Installing 9Xtreme makes XJT a plug and play proposition.
Ahh, I did not know that , great , thanks! Then I can have the telemetry on screen as well.

Return to “er9x”