No joy with 9x transmitter and SmartieParts SP Basic firmware programmer for Er9x install

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
TT0002

Re: No joy with 9x transmitter and SmartieParts SP Basic firmware programmer for Er9x install

Post by TT0002 »

MikeB wrote:Still worth measuring though. It wouldn't be the first time a resistor was not the marked value.

Mike.
They all measure correct. I'm putting the SP board back in now.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: No joy with 9x transmitter and SmartieParts SP Basic firmware programmer for Er9x install

Post by MikeB »

OK, as jhsa said, try reading the processor with the THR and AIL switches forwards.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

MikeB wrote:Still worth measuring though. It wouldn't be the first time a resistor was not the marked value.

Mike.
There's a change but not in a very good way perhaps. I put the board back in, made sure the pins that I could see (all but RST and GND) were well aligned on their pads, and powered up. Transmitter booted normally. Tried my usual Read Firmware test, unit beeped (I got the usual target not responding error from avrdude) and instead of restarting normally now shows EEPROM Error on all attempts to boot. If I try another Read Firmware the transmitter beeps as it apparently resets, then goes right back to EEPROM error and beeps continuously. Looks like I wiped it, even though the target not responding errors continue. I'm tempted to try a write but will wait for advice. Thanks.
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

Mike.
If it wasn't for the target not responding errors (or maybe due to them) this thread may be relevant:

viewtopic.php?t=275
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

If the "go ahead and try flash" route is recommended (despite the target errors), I'd appreciate being pointed at the latest stable version of er9x (or opentx -- still not clear on the best choice between these) that would be safe to try flash at this point. Thanks.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think I would still try the read at this point.. Did you try with the THR and AIL switches ON as well?

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the -F option as AvrDude might suggest.. That option can brick your radio..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

jhsa wrote:I think I would still try the read at this point.. Did you try with the THR and AIL switches ON as well?

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the -F option as AvrDude might suggest.. That option can brick your radio..

João
No difference with the switches. The tx is just beeping continuously from power on with EEPROM error. When I try to read with the SP board there is a very short break in the beeping and then back to EEPROM error. As I mentioned in the OP, I did originally try a -F on a read, but there was no sign of any negative effect (the results I got when I did that are in the OP). The normal firmware was always booting properly until this afternoon. Thanks.
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

Tried holding EXIT while powering on (based on a RESET thread I found). The unit powers up with continuous beeping, says RESTORE for maybe 20 seconds or so (beeping continuous), then back to EEPROM ERROR.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

This has been one of the most problematic cases I've come across. And as he says in the first post... I'm stumped. We assumed it was a faulty programmer so I sent a replacement, but no change in behavior. I suppose it is *possible* to get two bad programmers in a row... but then that strange device ID when he tried -F got me wondering if the problem is with the 9X's fuses. Other than risking another -F and using something like AVR burner to read the fuses... I'm not really sure how to confirm.
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

s_mack wrote:This has been one of the most problematic cases I've come across. And as he says in the first post... I'm stumped. We assumed it was a faulty programmer so I sent a replacement, but no change in behavior. I suppose it is *possible* to get two bad programmers in a row... but then that strange device ID when he tried -F got me wondering if the problem is with the 9X's fuses. Other than risking another -F and using something like AVR burner to read the fuses... I'm not really sure how to confirm.
Your continuing assistance has been appreciated. Unfortunately, I've long been notorious for finding the problematic cases in all sorts of technology contexts! I'm tempted to go ahead and try a write if I have a recommended image in hand. Somehow that read attempt this afternoon changed the status from the stock firmware to EEPROM ERROR -- even though it was a read. There don't seem to be many routes to getting past EEPROM ERROR without flashing something else ... or not?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Bit of a long shot, but you could try reading with -v -v on the command line. This turns on "verbose output" that might give a hint of what problems are occuring. Post the resulting output.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

MikeB wrote:Bit of a long shot, but you could try reading with -v -v on the command line. This turns on "verbose output" that might give a hint of what problems are occuring. Post the resulting output.

Mike.
Here it is. This is all while the EEPROM ERROR continuous beeping was in progress (again, these were very briefly interrupted when I gave the read command):

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Oct 21 2013 at 15:55:32
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
/usr/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -v -U flash:r:/e/Drones/firmware/yrdy:a
=================================================================================
User configuration file is "XXXXXX"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : usbasp
AVR Part : ATmega64
Chip Erase delay : 9000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PA0
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack
----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
eeprom 4 20 64 0 no 2048 8 0 9000 9000 0xff 0xff
flash 33 6 128 0 yes 65536 256 256 4500 4500 0xff 0xff
lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
efuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
calibration 0 0 0 0 no 4 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
Description : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

I have done some more troubleshooting of one of my M128a boards. I removed the SP Basic board, connected the transmitter back up, turned on the power and got "eprom error" and loud tone from the speaker. I then turned on the power while holding exit button and got the "restore" message. It looks like I have the original firmware with a bad eeprom. I then hardwired an aspusb programmer to the mother board. I am now able to read firmware and fuses from the motherboard as well as writing the fuses. Reading the eprom gives a corrupted eprom message as expected. When I try to write firmware arvdude goes through the complete write sequence until the verification and then fails. I have included the firmware read file before trying to write a new firmware, after the failed write, and the screen shots in two parts of the avrdude output from the bad write.

Is it possible that Flysky is using M128a chips that are failing the quality control test but are able to take a 64Kb firmware? That might explain why they are using the M128 chips which should be more expensive than the M64.

Paul
Attachments
Test 2.bin.txt
firmware read after failed write
(123.69 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
Screen capture of Avrdude part 2
Screen capture of Avrdude part 2
Screen capture of Avrdude part 1
Screen capture of Avrdude part 1
Test.bin.txt
firmware read from M128a board
(128 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

Some significant progress. I found eepe was useless because it wanted to read before write to do backups. So I switched to using avrdude directly to try a write:

avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -B 1000 -U flash:w:er9x.hex

Still no response from target, until I put a bit of manual pressure on the SP board during the attempt:

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 1000 Hz
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.10s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x0e0000
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega64 is 1E 96 02
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Then back to EEPROM error and solid beeping. So far I'm not finding obvious references to what this signature error means, but at least there's communications going on of some sort. Any ideas? Thanks!
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

More progress. Apparently successful read -- though some file-related errors. This was still while putting pressure on the SP board manually -- otherwise no target response. Transmitter is still in EEPROM ERROR mode and beeping continuously (except during that read operation). Signature error I got on write does not seem to be happening on read (I pulled out the -B 1000 since it appeared unnecessary and was slowing things way down).

avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -U flash:r:backup.hex

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9602
avrdude: reading flash memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 16.59s

avrdude: writing output file "backup.hex"
avrdude: error opening backup.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: output file backup.hex auto detected as invalid format
avrdude: invalid output file format: -1
avrdude: write to file 'backup.hex' failed

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H:FF, E:89, L:0E)

avrdude done. Thank you.

----

No luck with writes yet, though. Still in EEPROM ERROR mode with solid beeping.
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

SUCCESS! It appears that I now have er9x installed (should be r819, not certain that's completely current though). Various "throttle not idle" warnings and such but I haven't done any setup yet.

I initially got it writing on Linux via eepe/avrdude but received a first byte mismatch error on verify and then the unit appeared bricked. However, I found considerable discussion suggesting that this problem in particular is a Linux-related issue with avrdude, so I tried again on Windows and it wrote, verified and booted.

All of this had to be done while I was exerting considerable finger pressure on the SP board in a particular zone throughout all reading/writing/verify ops.

Otherwise, right back to the "target doesn't respond" errors. So for one reason or another, a pin or pins (other than reset and ground, which clearly already worked -- even though the ground pin seemed to have the weakest spring) are not making adequate contact in the normal install without that added pressure.

Since I am not dealing with many models and my need to read/write eeprom data from the unit will be extremely limited, and given that I hopefully won't need to upgrade the firmware frequently after this, I am not overly concerned about this situation even if it means the SP card won't work without the unit being open and pressure applied -- and I may simply remove the usb connector from the SP cable and stow the cable inside.

I am frankly reluctant to physically move or change anything related to the SP board at this point. I could try tighten the screw with the washer, but that risks the board working loose, or causing the board to rotate despite efforts to hold it steady. So long as the board isn't too likely to come loose at the washer from any rough handling/vibration of the transmitter (the washer contact area with the board is quite limited) I think the status quo might be OK (I may put some electrical tape or something on there as backup protection against the board coming loose on the washer screw side).

I'll add that at least to my eyes the SP board seems to have a very, very slight outward bow when installed. I don't know if that's from the screw positions of the SP board, the washer screw situation, or some oddity with this particular batch of 9x units, but it might well explain the need to apply manual pressure for successful operations.

For now, all's well that ends well. If anyone needs more details on the procedures that eventually worked, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone for their advice on this, and special thanks to Steven at SmartieParts for his continuing assistance in getting this going, and his great customer support in general as well!

Best,

L
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Very odd. Since we knew the GND and RST pins were making contact, and they are on the "outsides", that means either the SP board is bowed up in the middle or your 9X is dipping down... either case seeming bizarre as to why. Or perhaps one of the springs in the pins failed. But... with 2 boards in a row? Then again, maybe it wasn't really two in a row. Your first, if I recall correctly, you eventually broke a pin off moving the board around trying to get the alignment right. So maybe you had the same symptom (target not found) but two completely different problems.

In any case, I recognize that the screw hold gaff on my board certainly doesn't help with troubleshooting a situation like this. I do want to note that most people have had no problems at all (out of hundreds sold - all with the screw hole problem since we're on the initial batch - perhaps a dozen have had troubles). Still, I do apologize for the troubles.
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

Let's face it, these 9x tx units are not exactly mil spec, and their build quality is ... well ... minimalist let's say. So the fact that you got your boards working at all in this environment is a testament to your skill. And again, all's well that ends well. Thanks.

L
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you try cleaning the pads with some alcohol? Sometimes they have some oxid that prevents electrical contact with the pins.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
KAL

Post by KAL »

For those cases there's a glass fibre eraser pen in my toolbox since long time ago.
It's suitable for many things like cleaning contact paths of the servo's linear pots
of Horizon's UM and UMX planes
or removing solder masks ...

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Klaus, where can I get that pen what is the name in German? Thanks ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
KAL

Post by KAL »

Hi João,

this pen is called "Glasfaser-Radierer".
You can get it e.g. at amazon or ebay.

Klaus
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi,
Could this be what Klaus is referring to: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Economy-Scratch ... SwQTVV7zW7) ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
KAL

Post by KAL »

:) Exactly! :)

Klaus
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks guys.. ;)
Quite expensive though.. ;)
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Success for me as well. After reading about TT0002's problem with linux I tried using Win10 to flash the transmitter. I had been using my macbook and achieved partial success like he did with linux. With the Win10 computer I had absolutely no problems. The flash went well with no verification errors. Disconnected the transmitter and turned it on again. The eePe eeprom error came up this time, so I pressed a button and the eprom was formatted. The transmitter now works correctly. I connected it to the Win10 computer again, read the eeprom, added a model file from another er9x transmitter, and wrote the eeprom to the new transmitter. All went well. This was all with a hard wired usbasp.

Steve, the other transmitter I tried to use the SP Basic on has not been flashed with the hardwired usbasp. Would you like to have a look at it with the SP Basic installed? I tried to flash it again with the Win10 computer and still no luck with it. I did try putting some pressure on the SP Basic while reading. I am down the valley from you, south of Penticton, so no problem getting it to you.

Paul
KAL

Post by KAL »

jhsa wrote:... Quite expensive though ...
Divided by the years I have this pen I think much more went down the toilet for this hobby :mrgreen: :lol:

Klaus
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, I guess so.. will order one ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Sure, Paul... i can take a look.
TT0002

Post by TT0002 »

jhsa wrote:Did you try cleaning the pads with some alcohol? Sometimes they have some oxid that prevents electrical contact with the pins.

João
Yeah, for the record, I tried cleaning the pads in multiple ways. But without that additional manual pressure, I apparently just couldn't get contact. Now that er9x is on there which was the key goal, I may take another look at that situation before I close the unit up again.

The issue that avrdude apparently routinely fails on verification of er9x on Linux (and Mac too?) -- but succeeds on Windows -- is troubling. That's one of those "should not happen" situations given the structure of the software, and appears to be confirmed from numerous sources. It's especially a problem for folks who don't run Windows, of course. This really needs to be understood and appropriately FAQ'd for now, to help prevent a lot of wasted time going forward.

L

Return to “er9x”