PXX work

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
pmackenzie

Re: PXX work

Post by pmackenzie »

I agree - perfect example of a solution in search of a problem

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure the bus idea for servos actually works well. I did something like a bus when originally wiring up the wings of my Mosquito. Each wing has throttle(opto esc), aileron, flap and retract servos. I used a computer 9-way D-type in each wing, with large power and ground wires and several signal wires. The flaps would glitch badly when other servos were operated, particularly on 35MHz FM. 2.4GHz is better, but I separated the flaps from the D-type, and ran separate power and ground to each servo and esc. I have some 15-way D-types I shall use, but will still keep all the servos separately wired.
It was also a problem when I tried running from a U-bec, I now use a separate 4-cell pack of AA NiMh, 2000mAh, and rated for 25A discharge, all glitching has now gone.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
android78

Post by android78 »

MikeB wrote:I'm not sure the bus idea for servos actually works well. I did something like a bus when originally wiring up the wings of my Mosquito. Each wing has throttle(opto esc), aileron, flap and retract servos. I used a computer 9-way D-type in each wing, with large power and ground wires and several signal wires. The flaps would glitch badly when other servos were operated, particularly on 35MHz FM. 2.4GHz is better, but I separated the flaps from the D-type, and ran separate power and ground to each servo and esc. I have some 15-way D-types I shall use, but will still keep all the servos separately wired.
It was also a problem when I tried running from a U-bec, I now use a separate 4-cell pack of AA NiMh, 2000mAh, and rated for 25A discharge, all glitching has now gone.

Mike.
So was the glitching from an unstable voltage on the power to the servos due to resistance in the wires, or problem with the channel identification?
I was thinking of a simple circuit using 4516 counter with PPM for clock and using the overflow ANDed with the PPM for the output. This would have a simple R/C and transistor for the reset to identify the start pulse, and hard wire the preset for the channel that you want to use. I would also hard wire it in count down, so that the preset is a +ve channel number. This would be a very simple circuit and negligible weight addition, but I guess the stability of the power could be an issue, but a capacitor on each servo could help with this. I wonder if digital servos would be much better for this? Maybe not a lot since it will still be using an analogue comparator against the pot for detecting the position.
Something to think about though.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

In my 4 servo glider wings I use 15 pin D-subs so that I don't have to share power and ground wires.
It is also easier to solder up, since the D-subs are not really designed to take more than one wire per pin.

DLGs on the other hand with 2 servos in the wing share the power leads, so only 4 pin connectors are used.

Pat MacKenzie
somebuddy

Post by somebuddy »

hey :)

What about PXX and the DHT module ?
Is there a possibility to flash the DHT Module with the pxx firmware ?
I've only read DJT etc. modules.

Thx !

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As far as I know, the tx modules use the same firmware so I would assume it would be fine. As long as you can flash the module, you can always put a non-PXX version back on anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think the DHT it's just the same as the DJT but without the case.. I'm waiting for a new tx and also ordered the DHT..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Indoor flying again, this time one model was using PXX, no glitches, just worked.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Noice!
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

No word fro FrSky yet...

They seem to be really interested in S-Bus. I personally think it's a poor move. S-Bus is propriatery. I haven't seen the protocol itself but I'm willing to bet that it's not as expandable and versetile as PXX.

I have some neat ideas to do with PXX that will be awesome. Waiting for answer from FrSky to continue.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There's some info there:
http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-16535.html

IMO they probably have interest in S-Bus as it's the only "digital" protocol for which there are servos out there today, would be a great selling point for them, "use your S-Bus system with a receiver that's 10 times cheaper"... ?
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Ugh... German. No offense but it's Chinese to me :)

Is there any description of the SBus protocol itself there?
Z

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, but code to translate it into PPM... which should be a language you understand :P
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

:)

Yeah, I saw that... Gave me a headache. I'm just lazy, looking for an easier way out :)
Z

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

More detailed S-Bus description (still in German though ;) ), very easy. 100kbps 8E2 UART comms, one start byte, 16 11-bit channels concatenated to form 22 bytes, one byte with flags, one stop-byte. There's also the info how to set the servo's channel number.

http://www.flightronic.com/index.php?pa ... -protokoll
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Awesome :)

I'll tinker around with it and see if I can emulate it.
Z

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Cool!
Although it's pretty much designed to be used only on receiver-side AFAIK, so I wonder if there's any real interest to do something with it on TX side... or were you implying FrSky would replace their PXX protocol altogether with S-Bus also between radio and TX module??
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

They seem to be really keen on it. I simply want them to provide us a "remote pin". That is, have one pin on the rx mimic what it seen on the tx module.

It's simple to do but they are balking and I don't know why. I swear... I'm on the verge of ditching it all and building my own supercheap system. It's really not too hard.
Z

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep, but if that protocol has no support beyond the receiver, what's the point? There I can understand the desire to go with S-Bus, as there are existing accessories for it, some multicopter boards etc start supporting S-Bus,...

And replicating just about anything that is done on the TX module isn't that easy if you take into account RF framing, hopping schemes,... there has to be at least a canvas to stick to.

What they could do (wouldn't that actually already be the case? haven't tested...) is to leave the main R/C feed alone and dedicated to control (and use the existing multi channel protocols like PPM and S-Bus for interoperability reasons) and make it so that one could send data into the RS-232 port of the TX module and have it appear on the TX pin of the receiver, allowing you to pass every kind of data you want into that secondary feed transparently, just like for telemetry, to feed into your own decoder.

Oh well, an FrSky module is just an STM32 and a CC2500 RF transceiver - nothing harder to write an alternate firmware for than the 9x :P
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

All of these are "not hard" to reprogram in a sense that there are tools available and the schematics are out there.
Actually reprogramming them work properly isn't easy IMHO.
Z

shaddi

Post by shaddi »

Hm, yes. PXX on the transmitter-side and S-Bus on the receiver on a spare Pin could also be very nice. 16 Channels for all those Multirotor-Controller out there :)
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Actually now we're talking about a SERIAL connection on the Rx side..... :)
Z

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Hobbyking's finest(!) "Clouds Fly Floater Jet AXN" works perfectly with PXX also!
Nice little aeroplane too! :D

MikeB wrote:Indoor flying again, this time one model was using PXX, no glitches, just worked.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

FrSky seem to be moving forward on PXX, adding:
Range check,
Bind,
Range check,
Rx type - non-telemetry, telemetry, 16 channel telemetry :D
Failsafe setting,
Model match.
All these selectable within the protocol, so no switch changing on the module needed!
Also seem to be suggesting they will be adding serial data transmission from tx to rx.

Just need some new code from them to load into the tx module, and possibly rx, to try some of this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nice, those are great news.. :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

PXX work

Post by Rob Thomson »

Swweeeeet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

What is the current best way to update the frsky modules and rx's? I just bought a DJT and 5 rx's and will start switching over my radio this weekend.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

PXX work

Post by Rob Thomson »

You only need at this point to update the tx module.

Use the firmware erazz provided in the first few posts of the thread.

What you want to do is download an update firmware from the frsky site. This has the program and instructions on how to update it.

Only difference to the procedure is to select erazz's firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Orphee

Post by Orphee »

Hi, dies it work for telemetry tx only ? I have a DIY V8HT non telemetry.
Frsky website is ko for me
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe it is only on the telemetry tx. I'm not sure if the V8 series firmware is upgradeable.

We are waiting for new firmware, to do the new stuff, from FrSky.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “er9x”