Newbie-Please help with new FrSky Hardware

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
escrawford

Newbie-Please help with new FrSky Hardware

Post by escrawford »

Full disclosure: 1st post! I am new to this forum but very excited about getting smarter. I need some help with my FrSky addition.

I have a 9x that I added the smartieparts programmer board and Telemetrez board to. I have flashed it to v1.438-Mike. I also installed the FrSky XJT module and use the X8R receiver. I am getting one-way control without any problem. Flight control is fine and range is good. My issue is with Telemetry. I purchased the Frsky variometer sensor and Frsky LiPo voltage sensor, both of which are plugged into the sPort connector on the X8R. The problem is that I don't get any feedback on my tx. Both telemetry sensors show online via the blinking lights on them (slow blink of red light).

I am guessing part of the issue is that I don't have anything plugged into the sPort connector on the XJT module. I am not sure what to do here because when I upgraded my 9x I have a 2-wire pigtail from my telemetrez board (labeled rx/tx on the PCB) and I am not sure what to do with it. Picture attached.

All I want to do is get telemetry data on my 9x and I could really use some expert help here on what to do. Thank you in advance!
Attachments
capture.jpg

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Newbie-Please help with new FrSky Hardware

Post by MikeB »

The TelemetrEZ board was designed before the XJT became available, so getting telemetry working with it consists of two parts, one hardware and the other software.
For the hardware, you need to plug the white wire from your 5-way connector into the SPort data signal, the top pin of the 3-way connector on the XJT. One way is to use a servo plug housing and transfer the white wire from the existing 5-way housing to the servo housing.

For the software, you will need to upgrade the firmware on the TelemetrEZ board to r90. You may need to update er9x as well. What revision are you running? (On the Version screen, what is on the line starting SVN: ?).

There is a whole thread on the TelemetrEZ board here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=994.

The first post includes a link to how to update the firmware on the TelemetrEZ board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

It's really simple. To Mike's point. Just match up the tx/rx wires from inside to xjt module Sig and Tx. Not the GND & +5v. Then. Update TeZ board to r90 via Stevens update program. And enable it all in er9x. I will post software links when I get home. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

https://ltmno.box.com/s/98awyw7r7kimtlz ... vxbcf02n2c
URL to TEz Programmer....

Rx
Tx Sig (This is where you put your two wires from inside radio, across here...)
+5v +
GND -

You want the Tx and the Sig to be connected to your Module (XJT)

This is the way I have it working to receive Telemetry from X8R, X4R, etc...
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't get an email saying anyone had replied to my post and just by coincidence checked and saw your guys' posts. Thanks!

I am on tx version v1.438.Mike, er9x-r818, mod: FRSKY NT

Is this what I should be running? I'll try and update the TEZ in the next day or two. I presume it gets updated similar to how I updated the TX?
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

Alright, so I just ran the update to r90 (is there a way to verify?) and the t1634programmer said 'success'. I disconnected the USB, powered up my TX and RX and still nothing. I checked under 'telemetry' and it is set to FrHub. I know I am missing something simple so sorry for being stupid...
BTW, I still have full servo control from my tx but both the tx and rx bars at the bottom of the display show no signal.

also, on my Rx side I have the X8R connected via sport to my variometer and then my lipo voltage sensor connected to that. Both have a slow red blink when powered on.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is a setting to indicate to the firmware that you have updated the TEZ. This is in the "Hardware" menu in the "Radio Setup".
The hardware menu has recently been "hidden" to prevent accidental changes. To enable it, if it is not present, power on while holding the two horizontal trims outwards (i.e. away from the centre).
The "TEZ >=r90" setting may also be set using eepe, read the EEPROM, change the setting, then write the EEPROM back.

Don't be concerned about asking questions here, things are not always obvious.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

I'll check that tonight when I get home. So I just leave the black wire disconnected from the back? Only the white wire needs to be connected to the 's' pin on the XJT module? Anything else that could be causing me to not get feedback on the tx?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Nothing nelse I can think of immediately. If you have updated the TEZ, and then set the option in the firmware it should work.
Note: the THR and AIL switches are routed via the TEZ. They don't work unless you have the TEZ communicating to the main board, so are a good test you have the TEZ updated and the firmware optin set correctly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

So I checked under Hardware and you are correct, EZ>=r90 was off so I turned it on. There is also a setting for BandGap, does that matter? And unfortunately still nothing. Could I have set up/paired my x8r rx incorrectly?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are your THR and AIL switches working correctly? (This confirms the TEZ and mainboard are communicating).
Do you have the protocol to the module set to PXX rather than PPM?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

So I was looking over the documentation that came with my Frsky stuff and wondering if I bound it incorrectly. I noticed a note at the top that says the binding must be done in D16 mode for s-port to work, so I tried to rebind the tx/rx by holding in the ID button on the TX upon power up, then doing the same on the RX. No joy, all I got was a green and blinking red light on the rx.

One thing I noticed was the 'protocol' settings in the rx. Are these the correct settings?
Capture.JPG
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

I just flipped it over to PXX, rx address of 1, starting ch of 1. However I still can't get the rx to bind. I tried a bunch of different methods with holding the ID buttons and no luck. In regard to the switches, when I power it up I get an 'ele switch' warning. However when I go into the switch diagnostics screen it shows all values of 0 and when I flip each switch they each change to 1.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With PXX, you need to use the menu BIND option to bind. Set the protocol to PXX, D16, then select the BIND option. The Tx should show "BINDING".
Now turn the Rx on while holding the button pressed, binding should happen almost immediately, which is shown by a fairly fast flashing RED led on the Rx.
Press the EXIT button on the Tx to cancel binding, and power the Rx off and on. You should now have servo control.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

I tried that too. The tx showed binding, then I powered up the rx while holding the f/s button. The green light was solid and the red light was blinking, but nothing changed and the tx kept beeping. I rebooted both and no change. Ugh.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try turning the Rx on first, while holding the f/s button. You should get a solid red LED. I have had some receivers that I think I have the button pressed, but the receiver didn't detect it correctly.
When you have the solid red LED, then put the Tx into bind mode and the red LED on the Rx should then start flashing indicating bind has been successful.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

I think that did it! It took some patience because I noticed it now takes about 15 seconds until my tx/rx link up, but I am getting voltage and elevation now. THanks so much, so excited to take it out in the next couple days and try it out! Thanks so much for the help!

BTW I am running a LiFe battery in my tx, what is a safe minimum voltage? And what about the LiPo in the plane?
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

Also, I just read through the manual and can't find anything about the bars at the bottom of the telemetry UI. Right now the left one says rx and the right one says Swr. Where can I find more info about these bars?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

How many cells are the LiFe and LiPo batteries?
I really recommend you do a search on internet about how to handle lithium batteries. They are very powerful and have the ability of destroying your life if mishandled...
They need a bit more care when charging and discharging than the old Nicad and NiMh batteries..

What do you mean the receiver takes 15 seconds to link with the tx? You mean every time you turn them ON, or just when you bind them?
I'm sure you know that you don't have to bind them all the time you turn them ON, right? That operation is only done once..

The bars show the signal strength. You want to be looking at RX. It should never go under around 45 and definitely never be lower 42. You can also see this as numbers if you want. Control is lost at around 38.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

escrawford wrote: I am running a LiFe battery in my tx, what is a safe minimum voltage? And what about the LiPo in the plane?
Assuming you have a 3s LiFe, such as the HK 1500, 9.3 is a good minimum, leaving enough time to get the model on the ground. The transmitter will work much at lower voltages, but the battery is essentially exhausted at 9.0v and going lower is bad for the health of both battery and model!

Straight off the charger, the battery will read a bit above 10.0v. This will drop to 9.9v fairly quickly, then decline much more slowly. By the time it gets to 9.6v, it's time to think about charging, as the decline from here on is increasingly rapid.

If you charge sensibly you should never hear the low voltage alarm.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I use the HK 1500 LiFe 3s in my transmitters and I can say by experience that 9.3V is way too low..
I now set the alarm to 9.5V.. The LiFe batteries behave a little different from the Lipos. They hold the voltage longer but also drop quicker at the end of their charge. At 9.3V in a tx this battery is already empty.. My charger was already putting 1500mA back in, not good ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I'm all in favor of conservative warnings, so will accept your suggestion. I did test 9.3 and had enough time to land (but not a lot left), agree 9.5 is better.

As for how much is put back in the battery, the capacity is only nominal and may vary either way. As well, the charge process is not 100% efficient. So it doesn't necessarily reflect amount left very accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is correct.. the charger put always more back in. As you said at 9.3V there is not much charge left. The problem with these batteries is that when the voltage starts dropping will do it really fast and might not give you enough time before the battery is already damaged..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
escrawford

Post by escrawford »

No worries on the battery side, I have been using Lipos for years. My concern was as I start getting serious about FPV flying beyond visual reference I want to make sure I plan accordingly regarding battery time. Now I just need to get alarms configured for both the tx battery and the rx battery. One thing I didn't think I would need was an rpm sensor, but I've noticed that as I get beyond audible reference it would be nice to know.

-GPS/FrSky Question- I currently use the Turnigy GPS auto pilot and would like a failsafe that if it loses communication with the tx that it will activate the GPS and return to home. I currently use the 3-position switch and position zero activates RTH. How do I program the system so that if the radio dies that position '0' is automatically activated for RTH?

Return to “er9x”