Turnigy er9x to control DJI Ronin

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
BobTBuilder

Turnigy er9x to control DJI Ronin

Post by BobTBuilder »

Hi There,

Firtly, just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in building this site. So much useful information!

Before I start, I just want to point out that I'm a total noob to all this. I've been reading a lot on here and some makes sense and other stuff really doesn't. So please bare with me :)

Right now I have the Turnigy 9x with the er9x and Smartie Parts board.

Here's what I'd like to do - Instead of using sticks to control the Ronin Pan and Tilt axis, I would like to use wheels. So for example, when I turn the wheel 90 degrees to the left, the Ronin pans 90 degrees to the left and stays there. Right now, if I use any of the pots on the 9x to control the pan axis, the more I turn the pot the faster it goes, which I know is normal. But is there a way to have the Ronin behave more like how a servo would? When the pot is turned, it mimics the movement like on a servo?

I'm wondering if it would be at all possible in the mixing or customising the software, whereby once the pot only sends out the signal whilst it's being turns but immediately after the pot is finished being turned, it sends out a stationary signal?

Again, sorry for the noob questions, I'm still trying to get my head round all this.

Cheers, Bob

Kilrah

Re: Turnigy er9x to control DJI Ronin

Post by Kilrah »

Unless the Ronin has a setting for that it would be hard to get anything decently precise and repeatable with just the radio.
BobTBuilder

Post by BobTBuilder »

So yeah, I should have said that the Ronin is closed in terms of software and as far as I can make out doesn't have any kind of feedback from the head itself. It allows an S-Bus signal is and that's it.

What about if it didn't need to be too precise? As in, the wheel doesn't have to be 100% the same angle as the Ronin, it just need to feel as if the wheel move similarly to the Ronin? What would be the route to take in your opinion?

Cheers
BobTBuilder

Post by BobTBuilder »

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Let me see if I understand what currently happens and what is required.
If you control the pan from a stick, the camera moves in the direction of the stick, and moves faster the further the stick is moved, but when the stick returns to the centre, the camera stays where it is.
If you use a POT, then you get the same effect, but the pot doesn't return to the centre so the camera keeps moving.

What you would like is for the camera to follow the pot position.

With no feedback of where the camera actually is, this is not really possible.

Here are a couple of ideas.
1. You move the pot back to the centre, but have a "deadband" around the centre so you don't need to be too accurate with the centering. If you turn "BEEP CENTRE" on for the pot, you get a beep when the pot passes the centre, so you would know when you were close to the centre. To get the deadband, use a 9-point curve on the mix set to -100, -66, -33, 0, 0, 0, 33, 66, 100. Now the middle quarter of the pot position will all output the centre value on the servo channel.

2. Try something like this (assuming you camera is on channel 7:
CH07: +100% P1
-100% P1 Delay(u1,d1) Slow(u1,d1)

When you move P1, channel 7 will initially followthe amount of movement, but after the set delay, it will then move slowly back to the centre. You may need to adjust the delay and slow values to get the sort of movement you require. If you need more resolution on them, there is an option in the models GENERAL setting of "Hi Res. Slow.Delay". If you turn this ON, then slow and delay are settable in steps of 0.2 seconds (up to 3.0) instead of whole seconds up to 15.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “er9x”