ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
jhsa

ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

Post by jhsa »

As you probably have read on the forum Mike is implementing a serial communication between the voice module and the radio instead of using the LCD lines and the CLK signal.
For that to happen the throttle trims must be connected to the voice module. That is an easy operation. Just removing two wires from a connector and connecting them to the voice module..
Some of the pins that connected to the radio LCD lines before, can now be used for something else like switches for example.
The reason I'm starting this topic is that due to the fact that the Megasound board was discontinued a while ago, the only option for people to have voice on their 9x radio was to build their own voice module. Most of the existing projects use SMD components and require very fine soldering. So, I had the idea of using an arduino pro mini to build a voice module. The goal is to make something easier than those boards with tiny components, that most of us could build.. The arduino is a platform that already has a microcontroller on it together with all the comnponents to make it work, The microcontroller happens to be the same as used on the Megasound board, but it runs at 16Mhz instead of 12Mhz. So, I asked Mike if he could please compile a 16Mhz version for this project, and we have been testing it since then. A big thank you to Mike. Without his help and knowledge, I would never have a working prototype.
Anyway, I already built 2 ArduVoice-9x modules and they are both working. One of them is an attempt to create something easier to build that could fit in a 9XR radio. It has 2 smaller separate boards plus the SD Card module.. This SD Card module, as well as the arduino can be bought very cheap on ebay. The same applies to the serial adapters. Both single and double boards voice modules are built on a piece of stripboard and use through hole components only.
I am also designing a PCB version using only through hole components.
Here is the schematic:
Arduvoice_schem.jpg
I am still testing all this, and I am also trying to put some documentation together, so watch this space.
It looks like the Megasound board will go into production again, but I will post all the information here anyway, in case you guys want to build your own. We never know when the production will stop again.. Also, the stripboard versions have all the unused pins available, so if later Mike decides to implement more goodies ;) it will be easier to just solder a couple wires to the board :) Here is a little drawing that I prepared for now until I finish the documentation, and probably build another board ;)
ArduVoice.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnrJr0JabQ

Stay tuned

João

ArduVoice Using two smaller boards

This is my attempt at making it fit in a 9XR radio. Of course, this will also fit the 9x. Someone will have to try it as I don't have a 9XR radio.. A friend made some dummy boards out of card board and placed them inside his 9XR radio. He said there is a possibility it could be made to fit. Here are some pictures he sent me. Thank you so much Nigel.
IMG_4074.JPG
IMG_4076.JPG
You will need to make it as thin as possible. Probably will have to bend the transistor and ceramic capacitors to the side, Do not use a IC socket for the LM386 and solder it directly to the board. Also find the smallest electrolytic capacitors possible.. I just got some 220uF/16V caps (C9 on the schematic) and they are quite thin at about 6,5mm diameter. The one I used on the board shown here are 8mm diameter. But this cap can be removed from the board and soldered directly to the speaker. The best speaker for the 9XR would probably be some rectangular (or oval) speaker due to the format of it's case. Something like this could fit well. I know it does in the 9XR-PRO radio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-2w-8ohm-8R ... 3ce48f0ccb

Also make sure you use thin flexible wires so you can easily move things around. The ones I used in the prototype are quite hard :D

The connections between both boards are marked with colors for better understanding. I didn't include the diode D3 on this one but it is connected in the same way as the drawing above. Only not included on this board as it can be placed on the adapter wire.
The connections between both boards are marked with colors for better understanding. I didn't include the diode D3 on this one but it is connected in the same way as the drawing above. Only not included on this board as it can be placed on the adapter wire.
I didn't have Through hole capacitors so I  made my own out of SMD components and bits of stripboard :-)
I didn't have Through hole capacitors so I made my own out of SMD components and bits of stripboard :-)
Voice mudule 2 and SD Card.jpg
Please download the Zip file and compare the boards with the schematics to make sure there are no mistakes.
ArduVoice - Two board Version.zip
(995.06 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times
ArduVoice 2 Boards_Build Photos.zip
I took some photos when I built it..
(7.89 MiB) Downloaded 1000 times
How to connect the ArduVoice to the 9x MainBoard By Mike

Originally the Megasound board needed to connect using the processor pin PB7 and several of the LCD data lines.
A useful addition to the Megasound functionality is the ability to backup and restore models to the SD card on the Megasound board. To do this it is necessary to add two connections to the serial port on both the Megasound and the main board.
With this serial connection, it has then become possible to use it for all the functions (voice,
backlight, backup and restore), without needing the original LCD or PB7 connections.
In order to free the second serial port of the processor, it is also necessary to route two of the trim switches from the main board to the Megasound board.
Here are the required modifications to the main board:
Untitled.png
I used single strand "kynar" wire to connect to the resistors beside the processor, taking these connections a small piece of stripboard glued to the main board. This allows you to add and remove the (stranded) wire connections without needing to repeat the fine soldering again.
Also shown are the two empty places in the connector (top right) where I removed the trim wires. One wire is white and one purple in my case, the purple wire having been in the end position of the connector.
Mike

Flash the bootloader and firmware.

To flash the bootloader we need the normal programmer we use to flash the 9x/9XR radio. I guess most people has an USBasp programmer. I have another one but the connections are the same.
Remove the SD card module and connect programmer to the same connector using an adapter you have previously made. If you didn't make one it is a good time to do it :mrgreen:
Or just do like I did and use breadboard jumper wires ;) Somewhere above I wrote that the RST pin from the arduino should also be available on the SD Card module connector even if the module doesn't use it.. Well, this is the reason. To flash the bootloader.

So you should have on the connector VCC, GND, MOSI, MISO, SCK and RESET.

Here is a Picture showing the pinout of a 6 pin ISP programmer cable.. If you have a 10 pin, use google for the connections :mrgreen:
6-pin-isp-cable.jpg
And here is a picture of eepe configuration menu for the programmer.. Your USBasp programmer might use a different COM port. So, change it to the right one.
You should need to flash the bootloader only once, using this programmer, unless of course Mike releases a new version.
eePe configuration flash Bootloader.jpg
To Flash the Firmware (after you have flashed the bootloader) use the USB to Serial adapter, for example, a FTDI adapter** (like the one normally used to flash arduino boards), connected to your ArduVoice module. Configure eepe as in the pictures below.. Again you will probably have to use a different COM port.
Before you flash the firmware, you need to put the Voice Module and radio in bootloader mode.. To do it turn the radio ON while holding both horizontal trims towards the center, and the throttle trim to one of the sides (up or down).
Don't complain, it is possible. Mike says he can do it using only one hand.. I had to use both hands and my tongue :mrgreen:
To flash, do it in the same way as to flash your radio. Hit the "Flash Firmware To TX" button in eepe, select the right firmware file and flash it..

EDIT: I just found out that we apparently don't really need to put the module in bootloader mode by holding the left vertical trim. We just have to start the radio in bootloader mode. So, just hold both horizontal trims inwards and turn the radio on. Then flash the voice module normally using eepe and the serial adapter.. If you really insist in using your tongue you can still do it without problems.. It will still flash the module the same way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

**The original FTDI adapter from Sparkfun (FTDI basic) didn't work for me.. Only the Chinese ones and the serial adapter with the CH340G chip. This one requires one more diode on it's RX pin.

eePe configuration flash serial_1.jpg
eePe configuration flash serial_2.jpg
And here is a Zip file with the latest bootloader and firmware for the voice module running at 5V 16Mhz.
ArduVoice Bootloader and Firmware.zip
(27.27 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

jhsa

Re: ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

Post by jhsa »

Reserved...

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Hi João,
good idea :)

As I just verified, I already have available some spare Arduinos with USB connector, will it be possible to also use them ? (some with FTDI chip, some with CH340G)

Can the pads for the storage card be arranged in the same sequence as the signals are required on the card, so a 1:1 cable could be used to connect board and card?

There are small, cheap (stereo) amplifier boards available on ebay that have all required components on board.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/171339476353?ssP ... 1436.l2648
maybe they could also be used.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi Reinhard, I tried to use a nano with the CH340G. It didn't work because it doesn't have the diodes and if you need to mod them is the same as soldering a smd board :) The same as the original FTDI also didn't work. This one I don't understand why.. it just doesn't. Those bigger red ones from ebay as in the picture do.
Of course the connector could be made to fit the same order of the module.. but that will make the board wider. Or then forget about it being tidy and just cut most of the traces and cross all the wires on the top.. :)
I tried to use one of those amps from ebay that use the LM386.
I asked Mike where could we split the signal and he said that better to split it right after the 3 resistors on the arduino. That means all the other resistors and caps should stay on the amp board. So, better to build our own then as it is easier. Also the amp I bought from ebay has pin 2 connected to ground. We need it for the beeper signal. It's a smd chip so it is a no go for some people.
The stereo amp would need 2 speakers?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

so you flash the arduino using avrdude or arduino ide.?
if you use arduino ide , do you have a sketch? or if you use avrdude do you use serial or parallel programming.
one more question, what bootloader do you use the stock that came with the arduino or optiboot?
thanks for your contributions...
Miguel

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I flash the same files Mike posted but for 16Mhz. Amod_ser16. First I flash a bootloader for 16Mhz, Not sure if Mike also posted it, gotta check. For this I use my normal programmer and eepe. Then I change the configuration in eepe to flash the voice firmware.
As I said depending on the serial adapter you have you might need some diodes on the tx and rx lines..
I will post a picture from my configs in a while. Not at the pc now..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, here are the eepe configurations for flashing the bootloader with the USBasp programmer, and the firmware with a serial adapter.. This info might be moved to the first post in the near future..

João
Attachments
eePe configuration flash Bootloader.jpg
eePe configuration flash serial_1.jpg
eePe configuration flash serial_2.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

thanks. that helps a lot. I was doing it using command prompt but should be the same. do you have the files?? I know that you are using Amod_ser16.hex as the main code. do you have the bootloader for 16Mhz.
Miguel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think Mike didn't post it on the other thread, and I think this one is the latest, but not sure.. I normally flash the sound module with the other computer and I'm not near it at the moment.. Also if you have problems, try connecting diodes like in the schematics on this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=948&start=3780#p94306

Maybe your adapter is like mine and needs also the diode "D3" on the adapter's RX line.

João
Attachments
optiboot_atmega328_16.zip
(840 Bytes) Downloaded 569 times

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

this schematic is fairly easy to understand but I have a few questions.

the lm386 audio amp seems to be used as differential amplifier using R10/R4 as voltage divider for the invert input (pin2) and R8/R9 as voltage divider for the non-inverted input (pin3). beeper sound is amplified by the inverted and voice by the non-inverted. please let me know if I am correct.

now my questions....
- what is the functions of A4 & A5?
- R6+R7 are in parallel and can be substituted by a single 255k ohm resistor, why to use those values instead of a single resistor?
- what is the function of D5 & D6?
Attachments
Schematics_1_1_schem.jpg
Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A4 and A4 provide a volume control for the beeper.
560K and 470K are common values (E12 series), a 255K is much less common and usually 0.1% tolerance so more expensive.
The actual required value is 256K!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

magnetus wrote:this schematic is fairly easy to understand but I have a few questions.

the lm386 audio amp seems to be used as differential amplifier using R10/R4 as voltage divider for the invert input (pin2) and R8/R9 as voltage divider for the non-inverted input (pin3). beeper sound is amplified by the inverted and voice by the non-inverted. please let me know if I am correct.
Yes, it limits the signal and together with the capacitors to ground act as a filter..
now my questions....
- what is the functions of A4 & A5?
They control the beeper volume. The firmware will ground each of them, both together (Paralleling them) or none to give different volume steps ;)
- R6+R7 are in parallel and can be substituted by a single 255k ohm resistor, why to use those values instead of a single resistor?
255K is not a common resistor value to find, therefore Mike opted to parallel 2 resistors instead. Don't forget that initially the voice module was born (and still is) a DIY project. Only after HC1969 started producing them fortunately. Big Kudos to him as it allowed many people to have voice on their radios..
- what is the function of D5 & D6?
I'm afraid I don't know which parts you're talking about.. There are no D5 and D6..
Oh, wait a second.. you mean the ARDUINO PINS D5 and D6?
They produce the voice output. It's like a Digital to Analog Converter.. It uses PWM.

Are you thinking of building one of these? I am organizing some documentation and will post it soon.. But as I can see you are able to read schematics and replace atmega chips :mrgreen: so you might be also able to produce your own stripboard design. If you do, don't forget to share it..

Oh, VERY IMPORTANT.. DO NOT connect an sd card directly to the arduino running at 5V.. If you do you, will kill it.. This is meant to use with those SD Card modules from ebay. The big advantage is that they can run at 5V, and also convert the logic levels to 3,3V

João

P.S. - oops Mike was quicker.. and accurate as always :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

thanks guys. im am thinking of build a "modular" arduvoice board. more than willing to share with you guys. I am thinking of using a cheap lm386 board from ebay. as jhsa mentioned earlier, pin 2 is attached to GND, so I was thinking that we might be able to use a resistive passive mixer configuration. (fancy words for 2 inputs driven by resistors)
here is a very primate sketch (im at work. lol) of my idea. to combine the inputs of pin 2 & pin 3 on the lm386 to some resistors to create a mixer as input.
Attachments
mixer1.jpg
mixer1.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 35717 times
$_12.jpg
Miguel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, I have bought 2 of those to check the possibility of using a separate amp.. I actually built one while I was waiting for them to arrive from China.. You could probably mix both signals. I think that was also thought before but there was a good reason to keep them in separate inputs. The volume of the voice itself is controlled digitally by the firmware using the PWM output. The volume for the beeper is controlled in an analog way using the resistors to ground. If you join them together, you will be reducing the voice volume twice. Also if you notice on the schematic, the filters for both inputs are different.
Another question I asked Mike when I was deciding what amp to use, was where is the best way to split the signal if using an external amp. Mike answered that the best place would be right after R5, R6, R7 and C4. So the rest of the filter should be on the amp board.. That makes a bit awkward to place all those components on the ebay amp.. Easier to just integrate the LM386 on the board.. I did however, as you can see on the video I linked on the first post, build a version using 2 smaller boards. Will post untreated information on the first post shortly. Just the board layout. Not pictures yet as I need to sort the biuild pictures first, and that needs some time. one board has the arduino, and the other has the regulator, amp and backlight circuits. Please keep checking the first post ;)
Mike, if I'm not being accurate here, please fell free to correct me..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Sorry for the delay.. First post updated with some files.. I will update the zip file with more photos as soon as I can.. Please check all connections against the schematics to make sure there are no mistakes.. I did check but I usually don't see them ;) :) Just found one before I uploaded the files :)
I hope the drawings are clear enough.
João

Edit: I am also working on something else.. But this won't be as easy as the stripboard. It will be 60mm x 40mm, all through hole components. It's just a little smaller than the single stripboard.
Will make a board tomorrow and try to solder it on Friday or Saturday.. Hopefully it will also work..
I could probably make it a bit smaller but for now it stays like this ;)
Attachments
Untitled Sketch 5_6_pcb.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

jhsa wrote:As you probably have read on the forum Mike is implementing a serial communication between the voice module and the radio instead of using the LCD lines and the CLK signal.
For that to happen the throttle trims must be connected to the voice module. That is an easy operation. Just removing two wires from a connector and connecting them to the voice module..
Some of the pins that connected to the radio LCD lines before, can now be used for something else like switches for example.
The reason I'm starting this topic is that due to the fact that the Megasound board was discontinued a while ago, the only option for people to have voice on their 9x radio was to build their own voice module. Most of the existing projects use SMD components and require very fine soldering. So, I had the idea of using an arduino pro mini to build a voice module. The goal is to make something easier than those boards with tiny components, that most of us could build.. The arduino is a platform that already has a microcontroller on it together with all the comnponents to make it work, The microcontroller happens to be the same as used on the Megasound board, but it runs at 16Mhz instead of 12Mhz. So, I asked Mike if he could please compile a 16Mhz version for this project, and we have been testing it since then. A big thank you to Mike. Without his help and knowledge, I would never have a working prototype.
Anyway, I already built 2 ArduVoice-9x modules and they are both working. One of them is an attempt to create something easier to build that could fit in a 9XR radio. It has 2 smaller separate boards plus the SD Card module.. This SD Card module, as well as the arduino can be bought very cheap on ebay. The same applies to the serial adapters. Both single and double boards voice modules are built on a piece of stripboard and use through hole components only.

downloaded will check later, thanks already program my arduino pro mini. i need a sd card module or a sd to micro sd, i have an extra 3.3v regulator.
man you jus set me for another trip to RadioSack before they close for good
I am also designing a PCB version using only through hole components.
I am still testing all this, and I am also trying to put some documentation together, so watch this space.
It looks like the Megasound board will go into production again, but I will post all the information here anyway, in case you guys want to build your own. We never know when the production will stop again.. Also, the stripboard versions have all the unused pins available, so if later Mike decides to implement more goodies ;) it will be easier to just solder a couple wires to the board :) Here is a little drawing that I prepared for now until I finish the documentation, and probably build another board ;)
ArduVoice.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnrJr0JabQ

Stay tuned

João

Edit: Here is the Arduvoice using 2 boards.. Please download the Zip file and compare with the boards with the schematics to make sure there are no mistakes.
ArduVoice_Double Board.png
Voice mudule 2.jpg
Voice mudule 2 and SD Card.jpg
Double board.zip
Miguel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

First post updated with another zip file containing photos.. Start from picture number one as they are in sequence..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

First post updated. Zip file with all the information for the two board version (ArduVoice - Two board Version.zip) also updated. Components numbers did not match the schematics and a list of components was added.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

just a little mistake in the PDF.
D1 twice. should be D1, D2
Diodes
D1 Schotky-diode small, BAT85, 1N6263,.....
D1 Schotky-diode small, BAT85, 1N6263,.....
Miguel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good catch thanks.. It was a copy/paste mistake.

Fixed.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have been testing different FTDI/serial adapters with the ArduVoice module. All work but some need a zenner diode also in the circuit. Will make some kind of diagram and then post it on the first post.
This is valid if you want to leave the serial adapter always connected to the module inside the radio, and just connect the usb cable to it. If you plug it in just when connect to the computer, then most should work directly.
I also find out that after all the original FTDI basic from sparkfun does work and very well. I don't know why it didn't before. :o There are cheaper alternatives though..
I have a couple different adapters that use the CH340G chip instead of the FTDI chip.. One (my favorite) is just a serial adapter and not really a FTDI replacement for arduino. The other that I have just received today is a FTDI replacement and it works also very well. As it has a different chip it is immune to that erasing of the chips ID from non original chips. I also tested it with a normal arduino and it worked well..
I will try to post all the info later tonight. Probably with some pictures

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

got an sd card adapter from ebay and an arduino pro mini (this one has A5 & A6 relocated). loaded arduvoice files Boot & Firmware from first post. and its alive. still need to add filters, backlight and beeper.
I still dont know why my megasound board doesnt work.
Attachments
20150326_204600.3gp
(164.27 KiB) Downloaded 5354 times
r.jpg
prominibottom.jpg
prominitop.jpg
20150326_204539.jpg
Miguel
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

magnetus wrote:got an sd card adapter from ebay and an arduino pro mini (this one has A5 & A6 relocated). loaded arduvoice files Boot & Firmware from first post. and its alive.
I still dont know why my megasound board doesnt work.
still need to add filters, backlight and beeper.
Miguel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well done.. If you build the strip board you have to pay attention to the fact that the arduino has A4 and A5 on an different place.. Probably just solder the resistors from the arduino (A4, A5) directly to the strip where pin 2 of the LM386 is soldered. Will try to have a look tomorrow. I'm building a version of ArduVoice on a PCB at this moment ;) Don't know what I am going to do with so many voice modules ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
magnetus

Post by magnetus »

jhsa wrote:Well done.. If you build the strip board you have to pay attention to the fact that the arduino has A4 and A5 on an different place.. Probably just solder the resistors from the arduino (A4, A5) directly to the strip where pin 2 of the LM386 is soldered. Will try to have a look tomorrow. I'm building a version of ArduVoice on a PCB at this moment ;) Don't know what I am going to do with so many voice modules ;)

João
sharing is caring. lol.
just added backlight transistor and beeper resistors and it works great. ive been playing with the resistors and disconnected R6/R7 (pin D6 is now open) and the voice volume still works ok, dont have D6 connected and seems to be working fine. play with R10 value and have a 47k. R2 will control the lower part of the beeper and R3 will control the upper. the only capacitor that i have is C5 but change the value to .022uF and the circuit works. i need to order some caps even that i have no noise just in case. and will need to add C7 capacitor to block any DC from the beeper circuit.
I havent use fritzing but it looks easy enough will try to play with it tomorrow and will try to come with a stipboard version.
thanks everybody for all your help and support.
Miguel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The resistors on the voice output are needed, and must be those values.. the capacitors are filtering a frequency that you don't hear but it is there. I think it is around 40Khz. What happens is that the amplifier is also ampliying it, drawing much more current than it should. Therefore the caps and resistors values should not be changed. I will try to post a stripboard design tomorrow. It is untested and someone else will have to build that one.. I have too many voice modules now and not enough arduinos :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
nppc

Post by nppc »

Hi João!
Thank you for this port of MegaSound9X to the Arduino board.
I'm not familiar with voice mod on 9X. I have done common mods onmy TX (Backlight, haptic, beeper, frsky telemetry DHT module).

Did I understood right, that voice board (connected via serial or with LCD lines) will not conflict with my current telemetry mod?

Also I'm trying to make own board for the arduino pro mini. Here is what I have done so far...
Current board for Pro Mini
Current board for Pro Mini
As you can see, I have ommited the Backlight transistor, because I have it already on the Backlight module from HK (will connect Pro Mini Backlight pin to my transistor on Backlight module).
Also I do not have any diode on TX/RX lines. Are they are just for protecting M64 from FTDI programmer?

Sorry for that simple questions, but I just lost in all information that I found about Voice for 9x. :o

Thank you
Pavel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi, Yeah I have made a board but it uses through hole components so it is easier for everybody.. I still have to post my stripboard design using only one board. Need time but i will eventually find it ;)

As far as I understand, and Mike could certainly explain it better than me, is that the diodes prevent the serial lines from being loaded. So yes, they are necessary. If your FTDI adapter is not going to be permanently connected like mine, you might only need the 2 diodes on the Arduino RX line.. As I wanted the FTDI inside the radio I had to use more diodes including a zener diode. I thought I did post a diagram with the diodes and different adapters but I obviously didn't.. Will post it later on the first post. I will have to check again what I did as it was a little while ago and I tend to forget things.. To much to remember ;)
The voice mod won't interfere with the telemetry mod. But note that if you use the serial communication instead of the LCD lines, which it is the best in my opinion, you will need to move the left vertical trim connections to the voice module.

The advantages of using serial instead of the LCD lines are, less components, and you get a couple extra inputs on the voice module that can be used as switches.

Serial communication, models in the SD Card, etc, are only available in Er9x. Opentx doesn't support none of this.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
nppc

Post by nppc »

Thank you João for the quick reply!

Your design and explanation with photos is really very informative and well explained. I kike it!
But I prefer smd layout. :) From OshPark 3 boards cost only $4.2, and I have small smd resistors etc. :)
Unfortunatly I'm using opentx, and it is means, that serial communication will not work? Only LCD lines?

And one question more. If I will power lm op amp with bat voltage (LiFe 9v), should I change any values of resistors or capacitors near to opamp?

Pavel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Lm386 can be powered with 9v. No need to change anything. You will need to use LCD lines with opentx and all the transistors, resistors and capacitors needed for the busy and clock signals. My schematic doesn't have those as it is for the serial communication that does not need them..
Obviously you won't also be able to save your models to the SD card.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x”