GoogleCode Closing

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
MikeB
9x Developer

GoogleCode Closing

Post by MikeB »

As if I don't have enough to do, I now see that GoogleCode is going to be closing down, so all the existing projects are going to have to be migrated to (probably) GitHub.
This will also then mean getting eepe/eepskye to check for updates and download from there as well.

To save me some effort, if anyone out there already has something that does this, please let me know. It will save me time looking it all up.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Kilrah

Re: GoogleCode Closing

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm I see that googlecode projects now have a big "Export to Github" button on top of the page...

When we moved Bertrand used some script he found, but that will probably do the same more simply. All history was kept, commits/issues etc.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Mike do you want to move issues as well?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm looking for some help regarding the move from googlecode to Github.
I'm OK with getting the source files all moved, and I think I can get the binary release files sorted as well.
The problem I have is Github uses https (secure) connections. By default, QtCreator (used for eepe/eepskye) doesn't have support for this, and open Ssl, which is required to make this work, has import/export restrictions over its use.
This makes it difficult to automatically check for updates by accessing files on Github.
I don't currently have much time to investigate this.

One solution is to just have users check manually for updates.
Another is to find somewhere else to put the release files and revision values, so they are accessible using http (not https), the question for that is where?

Any other (easy!) solutions or suggestions?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

This is not the greatest solution, but the files could probably be uploaded to this site. There could be a dedicated folder with all the files eePe needs to have direct access to in order to check for updates.

If doing it on this site is problematic for any reason, but you still like the idea - I can offer my own hosting account for this purpose. There's plenty of space and unlimited traffic (or so the hosting provider says), so it should be easy. You could simply upload necessary files via FTP (other upload methods are also available, if needed).

Still, you'll have to maintain files both on GitHub and at some other location, which is another thing to keep in mind... Perhaps, someone could suggest an easier method by sorting out https access to GitHub directly?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's best to host the files on a separate web hosting indeed. Having binary files in source control is kind of "bad practice" as that makes huge files that are stored in history forever and grow the repo size quickly. Especially on git, as when someone clones the repo it downloads the entire history.
I've read that github now allows storing large files externally with only a reference to them being stored in the repo, but haven't read up on it.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Mike... shout if you need some Web space.

I sort this out for opentx so can do the same for you if you want.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You're the Man Rob ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Rob, that would be very helpful.
All the install files for eepe/eepskye need around 28 megabytes, and the er9x/ersky9x release files need around 4 megabytes.
I would think I only need the latest release stored, so a total of around 50 megabytes should be sufficient.

Thank you.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Kilrah wrote:. Having binary files in source control is kind of "bad practice"
+1
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

If you need a mirror in US - I'd be happy to help as well.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

MikeB wrote:Rob, that would be very helpful.
All the install files for eepe/eepskye need around 28 megabytes, and the er9x/ersky9x release files need around 4 megabytes.
I would think I only need the latest release stored, so a total of around 50 megabytes should be sufficient.

Thank you.

Mike.
I will sort out tonight.

Out all day :)

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Return to “er9x”