Er9x NEW User's Manual

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
AlexLmm

Re: Er9x NEW User's Manual

Post by AlexLmm »

That's wonderful!
Thank you!

Wrongway

Post by Wrongway »

Thank You so much everyone!! :mrgreen:
Mazeppa

Post by Mazeppa »

Many thanks to the writers of the updated Er9x manual.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You're welcome :)

Enjoy ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
roscored1000

Post by roscored1000 »

Mike I am curious about flight voltage showing as well, I have r220 a X4Rsb and using a XJT module,sbus is active, I have RSSI showing but not sure what to do about voltage, is it possible as the above post says there are better ways to generate alarms. I am using a SPRacing F3 Flight controller and inav software with the vbat connected. I tried going to page 2 on telemetry and put in a value of 13.3v to start with and the next column showed 4.8v ??? not sure if I am trying to do the right thing here or not? thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Setting the A1 ratio gets you the receiver voltage.

I don't know that flight controller, or inav software. Can this provide FrSky SPort telemetry data?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
artg

Post by artg »

Greetings,

I'm trying to use a Turnigy 9xr with a Multimodule and er9x, however I'm stuck at being able to bind it to a FrskyX LBT receiver.

I've pulled the latest firmware on http://www.er9x.com/ for a 9XR 128bit version but I struggle to see any other subproticol options than Ch_8 and Ch_16.

The er9x version I've gotten says 821 on the site at the moment, however the TX states it is V1.748-Mike, er9x-r820.

Any help would be appreciated.

Art
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Go here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598, download "er9xProv822a.zip", extract "er9x-128.hex" and try that.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
artg

Post by artg »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I gave that a go, sadly no luck. I'm using the eePe from the website not one of the test ones (let me know if that makes a difference).

I can see that v822 is installed (even tried v822, 128, German version), but only the subprotocols of Ch_16 and Ch_8 under FrskyX.

To add to that I have updated my multi module (iRangeX 4..+) with the latest firmware if that makes a difference (apologies, I'm new to this).

Could there be a bug in v822 for 128 or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Also if it helps to keep things organised we can move this feedback/test to the test forum if this is more appropriate.

Thanks,
Art
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've just built a new test version that should fix this.
I've put it on http://www.er9x.com/. At the bottom right you should find "r822c" available for dowmload.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
artg

Post by artg »

Hi Mike,

You are a legend, thank you for making a release for me. It worked! You've made my week!
GhostMasterPT

Post by GhostMasterPT »

Hi, it's possible to flash frsky receivers like the OPenTX does?

I mean using the module bay and the microSD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jJE25-GC4
GhostMasterPT

Post by GhostMasterPT »

GhostMasterPT wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:37 pm Hi, it's possible to flash frsky receivers like the OPenTX does?

I mean using the module bay and the microSD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jJE25-GC4
Found it: viewtopic.php?p=142877#p142877
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Hi everyone, I recently bought a R9M from a Chinese and found it does not work with the ACCESS firmware from the 9XR. The latest soft, as I uploaded to my Turnigy 9XR, is er9xProv822j and the newer one has nothing to support the R9M module. The problem is that this firmware only supports R9M modules with ACCST firmware, not ACCESS. The question is whether there is a hex to 9XR with ACCESS support, or maybe someone will have a description for ACCESS communication (what does it use, what does the frame look like, etc.).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Flash ACCST firmware to your R9M.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:29 pm Flash ACCST firmware to your R9M.
I did it, but I have two receivers only on ACCESS (R9MX and R9SX - they didn't give the software on ACCST). Besides, the band scan won't work because ACCST is old. On the Polish forum I found out that the PXX2 protocol is talking between the module and 9XR and I am looking for a description for it. I do not know if this is true, but I am not very tempted to believe that it cannot be changed.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Unfortunately the PXX2 protocol, for an external module, runs at 420000 baud, which is 2.38uS per bit.
The 9XR signal pin to the module has no UART or timer associated with it, so it is "bit-banged" as an output. It is not possible to meet this timing, while allowing the required interrupts to continue running. Even if there was a UART available, it is not possible to generate this baudrate. There is a UART on the SPort input (assuming the telemetry mod has been done), but the ACCESS modules use a different module bay pin for telemetry, and send alos at 420000 baud. It is not possible to receive this on the AVR processor.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

MikeB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 pm Unfortunately the PXX2 protocol, for an external module, runs at 420000 baud, which is 2.38uS per bit.
The 9XR signal pin to the module has no UART or timer associated with it, so it is "bit-banged" as an output. It is not possible to meet this timing, while allowing the required interrupts to continue running. Even if there was a UART available, it is not possible to generate this baudrate. There is a UART on the SPort input (assuming the telemetry mod has been done), but the ACCESS modules use a different module bay pin for telemetry, and send alos at 420000 baud. It is not possible to receive this on the AVR processor.

Mike
Many thanks for the info word, but an extra buffering chip comes to mind. The question is whether we need everything with 420 000 baud, because this speed for ordinary telemetry is probably a bit exaggerated. In my opinion, it doesn't have to be the full usability of the PXX2, just one for ACCESS to work as the new receivers are cool but not bindable to the 9XR. Also, according to what you write, it's about 52500 bytes per second, so it's not that much (just over 52KHz). The fact that the old amega is not fast, but you could use a separate uart and allocate it in the atmega ram address space, or a faster stm32xxx cpu for frame buffering and send this data over the atmega128 SPI interface, which can be clocked up to 6MHz. The description of the frames would be useful to the PXX2 protocol and it will be necessary to change the pins from spi. The question is whether atmega's UART can handle these 52KHz interrupts, because UART pins 2 and 3 as well as 27 and 28 support the keys that PCF8574 on I2C can handle.
This is the first idea in the topic to think about.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The ATMEAGA (64 and 128) also doesn't have enough spare RAM for all the additions. The Access protocol needs quite a bit of RAM, and as it also supports 24 channels, even more RAM will be needed to support the extra 8 channels.
The ACCESS protocol is also full duplex and more than just telemetry is sent back.
Unfortunately, the official description I have of the protocol is under a NDA, so I cannot provide it. The best you can do is look at the source code for either erskyTx or openTx to see what it is.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

MikeB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 pm The ATMEAGA (64 and 128) also doesn't have enough spare RAM for all the additions. The Access protocol needs quite a bit of RAM, and as it also supports 24 channels, even more RAM will be needed to support the extra 8 channels.
The ACCESS protocol is also full duplex and more than just telemetry is sent back.
Unfortunately, the official description I have of the protocol is under a NDA, so I cannot provide it. The best you can do is look at the source code for either erskyTx or openTx to see what it is.

Mike
Many thanks for the info. With each post I am getting closer to solving the problem. :-) It's a pity that you can't get the PXX2 documentation as that would simplify the topic considerably. As for the RAM, I agree completely, and after thinking, I think that the STM32Fxxx intermediary with the added framework can solve the matter. It can simulate the rest of the channels, buffer frames, and pretend to be an ACCST module to the 9XR and the Taranis to the R9M. I guess it will be the best solution if they haven't blocked this possibility. I am writing here about a technology, e.g. a key that plugs into a USB port, how the software producer wants to protect them against illegal copying and use. The question is whether this is the case with the ACCESS protocol, or rather PXX2? I know what you say, it's art for art, but the net is full of solutions such as the Amiga project on FPGA. As I mentioned, the best solution will be a STM32Fxxx mod connected on one side to the Atmega SPI, and on the other side with a duplex to R9M. After all, Frsky doesn't need to know how his new marketing policy is getting bypassed. :-)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ACCESS requires a whole bunch of UI additions too.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

While an external module could be used to handle the data signalling, the radio itself needs to hold data in RAM, that is read from the EEPROM, which is the configuration of ACCESS for the current model. This cannot be put in the external module. Due to the way ACCESS works, making something that looks like ACCST to the radio wont work, you wouldn't be able to register a receiver.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Hi, could you please write me a few sentences about who developed and owns the PXX2. Or is it the Frsky company? If you can help, write something about PXX2, it will be easier for me to get to the sources.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:02 pm While an external module could be used to handle the data signalling, the radio itself needs to hold data in RAM, that is read from the EEPROM, which is the configuration of ACCESS for the current model. This cannot be put in the external module. Due to the way ACCESS works, making something that looks like ACCST to the radio wont work, you wouldn't be able to register a receiver.

Mike
That's right, but what's stored in the 9XR can be cached on the STM32Fxx to get around the serial speed problem. You may need to change a bit in the er9x code, adding ACCESS support, but due to the serial, the role of STM will match both devices (R9M and 9XR). It is obvious that it will not be done in the form of a simple mod for one afternoon, and for now I am trying on and waiting for criticism of this solution, because it will only help me solve the problem. I am attaching a photo r9m. There is no madness, there is a regular STM32F103, so it does not require extra power from the 9xr side.
Also, I found some nice Silicon Labs slingshots based on a '51 (my favorite :-) where you have a 50 or 100MHz clock and therefore 50 or 100 MIPS. He will be lazy all the time at work.
Attachments
r9m_stm.jpg
Last edited by Zenon on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

PXX2 is made by FrSky, yes.

Look at the UI for ACCESS in the OpenTX simulator and the code and you'll probably understand all the things the radio has to store and know about to operate ACCESS stuff.
Your STM may be able to handle the communication but you still need everything in the radio to interact with it.

Unless you give your STM a display and buttons and implement all the configuration there and just take the channels from the radio, but ut's becoming ridiculous.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 am PXX2 is made by FrSky, yes.

Look at the UI for ACCESS in the OpenTX simulator and the code and you'll probably understand all the things the radio has to store and know about to operate ACCESS stuff.
Your STM may be able to handle the communication but you still need everything in the radio to interact with it.

Unless you give your STM a display and buttons and implement all the configuration there and just take the channels from the radio, but ut's becoming ridiculous.
Not entirely. I am going to leave all the user service on the radio and add what will be needed to set ACCESS, because someone has already done the work and why break the open door. As the atmega theoretically will not reach 420k, a buffer in the form of a fast cpu for a 20mA / 3.3V power supply will help. My problem is not to do it, but it is time, because now I have work under my cap. Although I am passionate about it and if I manage to find the description of the PXX2 efficiently, I will significantly shorten the construction work. By the way, probably someone has already done it, and is afraid to share it, so as not to piss off the Chinese. Nomen omen, they themselves are almost perfect copyists, so they should not regret it.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Zenon wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:55 am. . . I am going to leave all the user service on the radio and add what will be needed to set ACCESS, because someone has already done the work and why break the open door. . .
There is the main problem, the amount of RAM needed to support ACCESS is too large to fit on an ATMEGA64 or ATMEGA128. They only have a total of 4K of RAM. The '128 is actually the most critical as it supports more features that won't fit in the flash space of the '64.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

I only considered 128. Secondly, atmega can also work in the terminal option only for ACCESS settings, such as in Cisco TeraTerm. If there is an intermediary cpu, there may be many concepts. When I have a moment, I will make a block drawing as I see it, because I am already thinking something up in my head. It's important that I don't begrudge this unfortunate PXX2, so the description would be handy, so as not to waste six months learning about it. I don't quite believe that these 420k transmissions are full of data. I think they did it for two reasons. The first is marketing to buy new devices. The second one slightly reduces delays, but taking into account the human reaction time to min. about 500ms, what's the difference between 525ms and 510ms delay? :-) To sum up, this transmission speed is completely unnecessary and I suspect that 90% of the time is not used or redundant. Therefore, "compressing" what is sent between the R9M and the Taranis to 19200bps can be quite sufficient. Delays will increase to a few ms more, but if someone can accept it, a lot of nice hardware will not be thrown into the trash. It was similar with the 9XR, where the original soft was unsatisfactory.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Maybe upgrading to the ATMEGA2561-16AU CPU Chip ?: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... 120#p74105
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Zenon wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:44 pm I only considered 128.
What he said is that since the 128 has more flash it has moer features implemented, and thus even less available RAM.
Zenon wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:44 pm The second one slightly reduces delays, but taking into account the human reaction time to min. about 500ms, what's the difference between 525ms and 510ms delay? :-)
Quad flyers have been noticing improvements of 10ms.

Return to “er9x”