Switch error after firmware update

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Fint

Switch error after firmware update

Post by Fint »

Hi Guys, I can almost hear you think "one of these again"
The thing is, I've been browsing the web for 3 days now, tried alot of stuff and just can't get it to work.

So I've decided to update my er9x firmware from a version working perfectly fine (big regret, but no turning back)

My hardware:
FlySky 9x
Smartieboard solderless programming board
TelemetrEZ board inside
FrSky DJT transmitter module

I first updated to the stable er9x firmware -FRSKY -NOHT and noticed it flashed fine, but I got some switch errors.
I didnt pay much attention to it but noticed my THR and AIL switch were always "on"
I read up on the forum seeing this issue has been arround for quite some time, thinking I accedentaly used old firmware.
So I went to: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598#p64969
Downloaded the latest zip file, opened it up and flashed the er9x-frsky hex to my transmitter.

I get the same switch errors, and again I cannot get the switches to function.

Then I took the Smartyboard and telemetrEZ manual to check all the wire connections, I can only conclude all wires and plugs are where they should be.
I tried again and used the TelemetrEZ r89 option in the hardware menu, no change.
Then I went and put the standard er9x firmware on the transmitter to see if this would atleast eleminate the switch problem, but the same issue remains.

I'm puzzled on what to do, everything was working perfectly fine before and now it isn't anymore.
I've not changed the firmware on the TelemetrEZ board, I wouldn seriously not even know how to do this.

Why is my transmitter no longer "seeing" the TelemetrEZ board? Could this have to do with the firmware or should I check the hardware?
From what I understood the telemetrEZ board should be sending the switch info back to where it belongs, the fact the switches don't work make me thing there is a fault somewehere.

If anyone could shed some light that would be great.

Thanks,
Fint
Using Tapatalk

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Switch error after firmware update

Post by MikeB »

Are you receiving any telemetry data? Checking this will help check for the TelemetrE board being connected OK.
What revision of er9x did you have flashed before? All older revisions are still available on the googlecode site, so you can go back!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Fint

Post by Fint »

Im net receiving any rx or tx rssi feedback for as far as I can tell, doesnt show this info on the screen as it did before.
Ill see if I can figure out what version I had before, downside is I didnt note this down so I'll have to go back and try to figure it out by data.

Will get back when I tried an older version.
Using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Turn the TelemetrEZ>r89 option OFF if you haven't updated the TelemetrEZ firmware. The update is only needed if you are using a XJT module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Fint

Post by Fint »

Checked a few things today, i bought the smartieboard in december. Taking the deliverytime into account there are two firmware versions i could have used, r808 from 12 nov 2013 and perhaps r809 from 22 jan 2014.

I tried both, er9x-frsky.hex , but both give me the switch error.

Turning off the TelemetrEZ r89 for the newer version didnt give me any change.
Using Tapatalk

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Go to this post and try the special version I've put there: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598&p=64969#p64969. I can delete this later when no longer needed.
This version puts a 4-digit (hexadecimal) number in the top left corner of the main screen. This counts data arriving from the TEZ board.
Try this with the DJT unplugged, and let me know if it is stuck at 0000 or if it is changing (probably quickly).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Fint

Post by Fint »

Used your customer FW.

Without DJT module it's stuck at 0000
With DJT modue it's also stuck at 0000
Using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That means there is NO data arriving from the TEZboard. Even without the DJT there should be the switch data arriving.
Other than checking the connections between the TEZ board and the Smartieparts board, my best suggestion would be to re-flash the TEZ board.
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=994&start=600#p32652. for instructions on how to do this.

Just also check you still have PPM selected for the protocol in the model setup, if you set it to PXX, without updating the TEZ board to r90, then things won't work. You only need PXX with a XJT module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Fint

Post by Fint »

Hi Mike,

Reading the post you just mentioned I feel I figured out what might have gone wrong.

Do I understand it correctly:
If I connect my smartieboard via USB and flash firmware on it, if I do not power the Tx it will flash the TEZ board, if I do power it it will flash the Tx board?

When this is actually the case I beleieve I could everywell have accidentally flashed the TEZ board with Tx firmware before, which would mean it makes sense that it's not working.

{Update]
I've flollowed your guid in the supplied link.
Downloaded the programmer, grabbed r90 version of the TEX firmware.
Put it in the folder, ran the programmer.
Connected USB
It said "Succes" and I disconnected the USB and pressed Esc.

I started the Tx and the numbers are still all on 0 (With the hardware option >r89 on and off)
Same when I power on without the DJT module.

Could it be that I've messed up the TEZ board by forcing Tx firmware on it?
If that's a logical conclusion i'll be ordering a new one ASAP.
Using Tapatalk
Fint

Post by Fint »

New TelemetrEZ board and problem solved. ;) Thanks for the support!
Using Tapatalk
Fint

Post by Fint »

To early to celebrate.
I figured seeing the numbers at the top left for the custom firmware would mean it is solved. However, still got switch error and switches do not work...
Using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Need to double check. A new TEZ board probably has r86 firmware on it. Do you have the TelemetrEZ>r89 option OFF?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Fint

Post by Fint »

Ive checked the setting and turned it off. Still got the switch error however after a few seconds it is gone.
After this all switches work as intended.

Only downside is i want to use one of these switches as "arm" switch. However due to this error and delay in function i get a problem, as it will arm the quad right away. Without being able to do anything about it.

(Edit)
Just some additional info.
Telemetry is working, it is displaying Lipo voltage on the display (and it seems correct at first glance, moving up and down as i play with throttle)

(Edit 2)
I notice this is an known issue usually solved by flahing telemetrEZ board with new firmware. Ill give that a shot and report back. Any harm in taking the latest firmware when using DJT module?
Using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you use the 'latest' TEZ firmware (r90), don't forget to also set the TelemetrEZ>r89 option to ON.

Background information.
Originally the TEZ received the data from the DJT at 9600 baud, and sent it on to the main processor also at 9600 baud.
In order to handle the XJT (with SPort data at 57600 baud), the baudrate to the main processor was changed to 57600 baud. The main processor 'tells' the TEZ board whether to use 9600 or 57600 to the module depending on the protocol selected (PXX or not).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Fint

Post by Fint »

Hi Mike, just wanted to give you a big thanks for your knowledge and help. Updated the firmware and everything is working now.

Just shows that the problem was 100% me, not the firmware nor the hardware. ;) a well.
Lesson: dont use the -f when flashing and dont update if everything is working just fine perhaps.
Using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Indeed, NEVER use the -F option!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MrCuss

Post by MrCuss »

If i can just jump on the end of this and ask some questions...

I have done pretty much the same as in ive updated my Turnigy 9X with both Smarty parts programmer board and telemetrEZ and installed FrSky DJT transmitter module. TX has been Flash with openTX.

I too get a switch error but it goes away within 15 seconds as per the trouble shooting guide on 'Hobby Gear' website suggests...
My Tx works fine as with all controls and i recieve telemetry but only TX and RX values. NO voltage...
I contacted hobby gear to ask about the switch error if only to understand what is going on.
It is suggested that i Flash the firmware on TelemetrEZ to a newer version but i dont know how... I am familiar with Flashing the firmware for Tx so any help hear would be greatly appreciated.

Also i read a lot about r89 / r90 firmware for the TelemetrEZ and assume mine is r89... Above in this post 'Flint' talks about a setting in the 9x hardware that can be changed from r89 to r90.
Can anybody tell me where to find this setting and what it is doing (in layman's terms)...?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Marcus...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I know that er9x has that setting. But does openTX also have it?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MrCuss

Post by MrCuss »

What is it exactly? i dont know what it does so i am finding it difficult to find answers.

Thank you.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The reason for the setting is described a few post back where I give some "Background Information" (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6307#p90333).

For flashing the TeZ board, look here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=994&start=600#p32652.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MrCuss

Post by MrCuss »

Excellent. Thanks for your help.
Ill read up a little more and try to update the firmware for my TelemetrEZ via my Tx as described in your post.

Thank you.

Marcus...

Return to “er9x”