FlySky Protocol and ER9X in 9XR transmitter

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Daedalus66

FlySky Protocol and ER9X in 9XR transmitter

Post by Daedalus66 »

I'm trying to help someone who is having range trouble using a FlySky module in a 9XR (presumably with the original HK version of ER9X). He says he's getting only 200-300 m in the air before losing control. This seems to occur with two different modules and two different receivers, so points to something in the 9XR.

I have a 9XR and a FlySky module but have never tried them together -- I used the module in a 9X until I replaced it with an FrSky DJT. Of course, a big disincentive to trying out the FlySky module is the lack of a low power range test mode that allows you to do a ground test without a very long walk.

Anyway, all this leads to two questions:

1. Is there anything about the way the HK version of ER9X for the 9XR manages the FlySky protocol that could reduce the power of the module? (I know DSM modules can be put into various power modes by the firmware.) Would upgrading to the current version of ER9X be likely to help in the current case?

2. Would it be possible to introduce a low power range test mode for the FlySky module into the ER9X firmware? Doing so would give a new lease on life to what must be tens of thousands of 9x transmitters and FlySky modules in other transmitters.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: FlySky Protocol and ER9X in 9XR transmitter

Post by MikeB »

The original FLYSKY module uses (C)PPM so there is no way of adjusting the power from the main firmware.
I can only suggest there is something in the way he has the receiver/antenna mounted, or he has the Tx antenna such that it is pointing directly at the receiver instead of at right angles.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks for that clarification. I thought that might be the case.

I agree that installation issues and antenna orientation are the most likely causes.
fburden

Post by fburden »

I have the same equipment, ER9X, on aT9X, Flysky RX: I can fly my Radian glider high enough to almost strain my eyes, never a problem with range.

However, just to be safe, I always mount the Rx antenna outside the body of the fuse. Looks like a little red muffler, kinda cool.

I once did a side by side range test and the Flysky had better/longer range than my Futaba.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks for the reassurance. It confirms my limited experience that the FlySky/Turnigy module and receiver gives very good range. I set up a Polaris XL seaplane with 9x for a friend's 12 year old son and it has flown reliably for three years.

Return to “er9x”