Soft startup via er9x

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Daryoon

Soft startup via er9x

Post by Daryoon »

I have been playing with the mCPX clone, the WLtoys v922. And it's a good helicopter. Well build and it flights good. However, one thing I miss is the soft spoolup feature of the mCPX has built into it's 3in1 firmware. The feature detects when a throttle value occur...like when taking Throttle Hold off while in idle up mode. So the firmware will softly spool up the head.

Of course, presented with the challenge...pmckenzie came to the rescue with a working set of mix.
Here is what i came up with for soft start from throttle hold.
A bit complicated, but it works.:)

I started with the basic heli template, throttle on ch5

-move all the throttle mixes to ch12, except for the replace mix for thottle hold.
Leave it there so you can still adjust your throttle hold position. If you don;t need anything but -100 you can actually delete it.
- the mix on ch13 is our slow spool up, done with the HALF function. With throttle hold pulled it goes to 0, but when throttle hold is released it goes slowly to 100. Spool up speed is set in this mix.
- the mix on 14 is the tricky bit. First line changes the range of the (virtual) throttle channel from +/-100 to 0 to 100. we need it like this for the math to work.
Second line multiplies it by our spool up channel. So when we pull THR it goes to zero, when released it slowly goes up to the desired position.

- This takes us to the mixes on ch5. The first two lines are both the same.
Each one changes the range from the 0/100 required for the maths to work to +/-50
Add two of them together and they return the range of the output to +/-100, but now with slow spool up.
Original thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=23

The spool up works but it's too linear. I was wondering if there's a way to put a curve to it or make it so the spool up is more of a gentle parabolic ramp-up. Not sure if it's even possible. Thus this thread.
Attachments
slow spool up.eepe
pmackenzie Slow Startup Template
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

Redbrickman

Re: Soft startup via er9x

Post by Redbrickman »

I can't help you with your problem but you may be able to help me :)

I was not flying my MCPX in collective pitch normally as I have it dumbed down on positive pitch only as per setting found on RC groups. Last night I somehow got into the mode you describe with the MCPX and can't get out of it in my Spektrum Tx.

Would like to know how to enable/disable this setting in the DX6i?

I am however happy as I have found the heli easier to control in collective than it was dumbed down!
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
Daryoon

Re: Soft startup via er9x

Post by Daryoon »

@Redbrickman:
It's hard to say without knowing how your DX6i is programmed.

I am with you though. Some of these "dumbed" down settings makes it more difficult to fly. Too much of chasing the heli instead of training the fingers to properly control it.

Return to “er9x”