Help. My splash screen has disappeared.

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Hippo

Help. My splash screen has disappeared.

Post by Hippo »

I upgraded to r776 a while back, and noticed that I wasn't seeing my splash anymore. I checked the settings. It was turned on. I figured it was a bug and today installed r777.

Here's where it gets weird. I flashed, and the splash was there. Sigh of relief. Then,I restored my eeprom and it was gone again. Okay, more digging was in order.

I updated my eepe, no change. I thought maybe there's something corrupt in my settings. Okay. Flash again, splash returns. Backup my settings, add my models in eepe, reflash, splash is gone again.

So,I thought maybe splashes aren't working in recent versions. Alright, in the name of being thorough,I flash back to r762. Same problem. Hmmm.

Flash forward, and it seems like the problem is appearing once I calibrate my sticks?

I know that wiggling a stick during startup can cancel the splash. Maybe my pots are going bad and the 9x thinks I'm moving the sticks? I'm looking at the main screen and the numerical values for the sticks are fluctuating ever so slightly. Does anybody know how large a movement is required to bypass the splash?

Sorry for the long rambling post. I'm trying to be thorough in my testing. I just want my splash back.....please help.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

jhsa

Re: Help. My splash screen has disappeared.

Post by jhsa »

if you had a bad pot it would also do after you flash the firmware.. You might have a corrupt eeprom.. try to create a new eeprom and copy your models into it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Okay. I've narrowed it down. I can reproduce the problem reliably now, but I can't quite explain it.

It's the backlight. Whenever the backlight is on during startup, the splash is skipped. It's actually the light, and not the setting. I went all the way back to r753 and it doesn't have the problem (because the backlight is off at bootup regardless of the setting) in that version.

I have a smartieparts board with the EL backlight. Could something be failing in the backlight? It didn't do this until recently. The EL driver has to be causing the issue...

New Ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Can you have a look at the ANAS screen with backlight ON and OFF?
EL backlight causes noise, which could be exceeding the stick movement threshold to skip the splash screen.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hippo wrote:
Here's where it gets weird. I flashed, and the splash was there. Sigh of relief. Then,I restored my eeprom and it was gone again. Okay, more digging was in order.

I updated my eepe, no change. I thought maybe there's something corrupt in my settings. Okay. Flash again, splash returns. Backup my settings, add my models in eepe, reflash, splash is gone again.

This points to an eeprom problem, I think.. ;) I don't really understand the last part of the post though.. Did you create a fresh eeprom?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Thanks Kilrah, I'll have a look at that tomorrow. I'm expecting to see some wiggle. I'm just wondering why it's more now than when it was new.

Do you know what the actual movement threshold is to skip the splash at startup?

Jhsa, I made a new eeprom, and the splash screen returned until I set the backlight to on, and then it was gone again.

Thanks,
Dan

PS. I do have a HobbyKing backlight lying around, so I could just disable the EL and install that I suppose. Of course if ersky9x was ready for primetime, I could skip the whole thing as I have another radio just waiting for me.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Ersky9x and open9x on the sky9x board work perfectly. Infact... They are getting better than the stock board!

Not sure what you mean about them being ready for prime time?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Rob Thomson wrote:Ersky9x and open9x on the sky9x board work perfectly. Infact... They are getting better than the stock board!
It's about time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think he means he's waiting for V3 boards to be available...?
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

I guess I'll take this one at a time. First,I had a look at the ANA screen.

The numbers are fluctuating about 2 values when the backlight is on (ie. 03F4-03F2, etc) for the most part, this isn't enough to change the corresponding whole number values.

When the backlight is off, the numbers are of course rock steady.

Now, as for the ersky board, it has gotten much better. There are really only two things preventing me from making it my daily radio.

1) a minor annoyance: there is no way to replicate the throttle triggered timer 2 count up timer from the stock board. I've become very comfortable with a th% countdown for battery usage, and a count up for flight logging.

Open 9x has a throttle triggered timer, but no way to stop it. Ersky9x leaves me with a manually started timer, or one that stops counting at throttle 0.

As I said, this is an annoyance only.

2) the lack of eepe of equivalent: one of the best features of er9x has always been its integration with eepe. I love creating/editing models on the computer. Also, I have over 50 flyable models right now (how did that happen?) So, backing up models and loading the models I plan to fly that day is a routine now.

Yes, I can copy them across and save them to the sd card. I guess I should get started on that. It would be really great if .eepm files copied to the sd card could be loaded in ersky9x.

So, that's it. I guess it boils down to my one petty reason. I saw Mikeb mention that he was considering an eepe style tool for ersky9x. I could hold out for that I suppose.

Thanks for listening. I've been considering starting a thread to see who's using the new board yet, and why or why not.

-Dan
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hippo wrote: 1) a minor annoyance: there is no way to replicate the throttle triggered timer 2 count up timer from the stock board. I've become very comfortable with a th% countdown for battery usage, and a count up for flight logging.

Open 9x has a throttle triggered timer, but no way to stop it.
?
Open9x has the THt mode (starts when throttle is advanced, never stops), and THs (starts when throttle is advanced and stops again when it's back to 0). This is available for both timers, and on all boards.
Hippo wrote:2) the lack of eepe of equivalent
Open9x on sky9x board fully works with companion9x too.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Kilrah wrote: ?
Open9x has the THt mode (starts when throttle is advanced, never stops), and THs (starts when throttle is advanced and stops again when it's back to 0). This is available for both timers, and on all boards.
Exactly. It starts on first throttle advance, but never stops. Or, it only runs when the throttle is above 0. It's the only feature of the original er9x that isn't replicated on the new board.

I'll give open9x another go. It was missing potscroll when I tried it last, and the rotary encoder isn't very useful yet due to its limited speed.

Dan
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hippo wrote: Exactly. It starts on first throttle advance, but never stops. Or, it only runs when the throttle is above 0. It's the only feature of the original er9x that isn't replicated on the new board.
Hmm what's the functionality you're missing then? Sorry, never used er9x much...
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Oh. To have a count up timer start at first throttle advance, and that can be manually stopped when the flight is over.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Pretty sure that is there?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

He is right, there is a TODO in the code for that (I didn't give it any priority), why don't you use a switch to stop the timer when the flight is done (it means that you would a custom switch linked to the Thr stick + this switch).
Bertrand.

Return to “er9x”