er9x development

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
andrewju

Re: er9x development

Post by andrewju »

Thanks a lot, Mike!

I just saw the screen jumped to model settings while being on one of the main screens with horizontal bars showing 8 channels... So it did not display any telemetry at that time... Hmmm... Thinking, maybe it's a kind of internal interference that does not really depend on the OxS or any other telemetry sensor?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a test version for the '2561 (test versions thread). This now includes SPort GPS processing. I haven't had time to test this yet, just loaded it up and made sure it basically works.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I just came from the field.. did two 14 minute flights, always in the custom telemetry screens and nothing happened.. will do a bench test a bit later using a oXs as the plane I flew today only has a voltage sensor..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike, it seem to work for me, too. At least, it shows Altitude, Latitude and Longitude.
Not sure if it displays UTC anywhere and I also couldn't test the speed (it's dark and cold around here now)... :)
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Why do I have 'Fuel' displayed in telemetry when GPS is connected?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is displayed when you are receiving any telemetry. The hub sends a value for it whether a sensor is connected or not.

Mike.

Edit. UTC time is not displayed anywhere!
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

MikeB wrote:It is displayed when you are receiving any telemetry. The hub sends a value for it whether a sensor is connected or not.
The hub? So it is applicable even to S.Port sensors?
MikeB wrote:Edit. UTC time is not displayed anywhere!
Understood.

Thank you!!!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You can connect the hub to the SPort variometer, then you would get a fuel value sent over SPort.
Also, the openXsensor can use the fuel ID to send data.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

MikeB wrote:You can connect the hub to the SPort variometer, then you would get a fuel value sent over SPort.
Also, the openXsensor can use the fuel ID to send data.
Yeah, but when I only have the S.Port GPS sensor connected, the 'Fuel' appears on the radio screen. There are no hubs and no other sensors connected. So maybe GPS sends some data with an ID that is currently being interpreted by er9x as a Fuel sensor?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The Fuel display appears if you are receiving ANY telemetry (user) data, this includes GPS. System data is Rx RSSI, Tx RSSI or SWR) A1, A2 and receiver battery voltage. These are sent by the receiver directly. User data is anything from the hub, or input on the SPort.

I'll copy some code across from ersky9x. This uses any current source, then uses the consumed MaH of the flight battery along with the capacity setting to create a fuel value for display.

Please let me know if this version still jumps away from the telemetry display. I haven't done anything specific to fix this, but it is a new compile.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ok, understood about the Fuel display. Thanks!!!

Regarding jumping away from telemetry display, I've been testing it yesterday and today. Yes, jumping seem to be the same with the latest version, too.
Here's the summary:

- Jumping never happened when there was no model powered on.
- Jumping never happened with just the GPS sensor connected to a model.

- It jumps when OpenXSensor is connected to the X6R (either OxS alone or together with the FrSky GPS).
- Jumping mostly happened when I was on GPS telemetry screen (even when there's no GPS data coming). But it may well be a coincidence, as I saw the jumps when I was in other telemetry screens, too. Could be IMPORTANT: It even jumped from a non-telemetry info screen with horizontal bars displaying channels state.
- Sometimes it jumps a few seconds after the model is powered on. Sometimes it jumps 1-2 times per minute. But sometimes I have to wait 10-20 minutes before it actually jumps...
- Most often it jumps as if 'long left' is pressed (to the radio settings menu). Sometimes it jumps as if it is 'long right' (to the model selection menu). And sometimes this jump is followed by a short left/right/up/down action.
- I think there is a way to reproduce the issue: power on the radio, power on the model without any telemetry sensors connected, then connect the OxS to the S.Port. In most cases (about 6-7 out of 10 attempts) the radio will jump to 'radio settings' screen within 20 seconds after OxS is connected.

I thought maybe the jumping is somehow related to my hardware setup? I have a rotary encoder - the one "commonly used" in 9x that replaces the stock directional buttons. I also have an AudioMega voice board. The S.Port signal inverter is physically located on the same board with AudioMega. It is built on a MAX232A which is powered from a 5V voltage regulator on the AudioMega board. May it be that there is some kind of interference because the m2561 and the MAX232A are powered from different voltage regulators?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just put together a test. I have my '2561 with XJT in it. Receiver is X8R and I have a FrSkt SPort vario plugged in. So far no problems but I haven't run it long enough. I now need to re-charge both the Tx and Rx batteries before I can test any more.

I'm currently suspecting it is something from the OXS that is not being handled correctly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

If you can make a debug release of er9x that shows some additional info it gets on telemetry, I can do a test (if that helps).
I can also borrow a logic-level analyzer, but I'm not sure if it will help in any way (I don't have much experience with that kind of equipment).

I can also send my OxS to you, if that could help...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a new test version. This does some extra checks on the values received for individual cell data.
As this is a 128/2561 version, you also get the new "voice alarms" available.

I have an OXS, I would just need to configure it like yours.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I think andrewju said he uses an older version of the oXs code? maybe he could send it to you to flash it on your oXs and maybe he could flash the newer version to see if the problem persists? Keeping the files for the old one of course..
We know there were a couple bugs in the older versions that were fixed recently..
Just a thought.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I just flashed the latest er9x-2561 from the test thread. The menu still jumps for me... I didn't see any change in this regard.

I think this is the software in my OxS. Although now I have some doubts because there is a little probability that I could have changed something after I flashed the OxS. Is there a way to make a backup of current Arduino config? So that I could share my exact OxS image...

I will put together another OxS and will try it with the latest software. I will also perform another test with an X8R instead of X6R (well, just in case). But I will be able to do it in a couple of days from now, since I'm currently away from home and have limited amount of hardware with me.

Andy
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I ran my '2561 for forty minutes with no problem. This is with a XJT/X8R and SPort vario.
I'm now testing again with a FASV and a LIPO sensor added in. This provides a lot more SPort data to be processed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hmmm...

Can you also test with the vario sw that I posted above?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I will do so when I can get the OXS programmed. The vario I'm using at the moment is a FrSky one.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ah, I see... I don't have FrSky vario, so I can't test with that one...
davx

Post by davx »

@andrewju,

Latest OXS version is now here: https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/
Go to "Downloads & Documentation".

Bye.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just added a hub to the vario so now I'm also getting a fuel value sent, no problems so far.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

davx wrote:@andrewju,

Latest OXS version is now here: https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/
Go to "Downloads & Documentation".

Bye.
Thanks for the link!

I'll put together a new vario and will try the new SW.

I don't want to "break" my current OxS that is causing troubles - not until the root cause is identified...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Got the OXS programmed, running a test, after around 11 minutes it jumped to the model select menu! By default, this is the 'last' menu selected. I also saw the telemetry data disappear for a short while as though the OXS stopped sending data.

Investigating!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Great!!! At least, I'm not crazy... :)

Thanks a lot, Mike!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: I also saw the telemetry data disappear for a short while as though the OXS stopped sending data.
Is that version the old one? the data disappearing for a while sound quite familiar ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've been running it for 39 minutes and it has only happened twice!
I'll keep trying.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Try to power off the receiver and then power it back on. Sometimes it forces the jump (but not always).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've been running some tests to see what happens generally. I've run a '128 and got a menu jump on that. It went to the TELEMETRY menu, which was the last menu I accessed. Then I tried a '64. This Tx has a TelemetrEZ board in. On that I don't get anything from the OXS at all, but I do get data from the FrSky vario. This may be caused by the TEZ board!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Slight progress! I'm storing and displaying the "last event" (button press). When I get a menu jump, this last event is the encoder button LONG.
I'm also now displaying the value read for the encoder inputs. Since then, the only time I've had a menu jump, it is reporting the button as always pressed. I don't have an encoder on this Tx!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “er9x”