er9x development

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: er9x development

Post by MikeB »

Please read the flash memory from your voice module, zip up the file and post it so I may see what version you have.
I use a command like:
avrdude -p m328p -b 38400 -P COM4 -c arduino -U flash:r:t.hex:i -u
to give a file "t.hex". Change the COM4 to the COM port you are using.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Moska

Post by Moska »

Hi Mike,
Sorry for my noob question.

Please, could you indicate where can I insert the line commands informed in your last post?

Best regards,

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm using Windows and I just use a "Command Prompt" (found in Accessories).
You may need to specify the full path to AvrDude (which is in the eepe folder).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Moska

Post by Moska »

Thanks Mike!
I will try this during this night! And post here as you request the the file t.hex on s zip file!

Best regards

Moska

Post by Moska »

Hi Mike,

Follow annex my file generated with avrdude as per your request
t.rar
(22.48 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It looks like you don't have the "latest" firmware in your voice module.
I've attached the last build from the sources as they are on Github.
Keep the t.hex file you read in case you need to replace it, but please flash the voice module with the attached firmware.

Over the serial I use the command:
avrdude -p m328P -b 38400 -P COM4 -c arduino -U flash:w:amod_last.hex:i -u
(replace the COM4 with the serial port you are using).

Mike.
amod_last.zip
(26.41 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
Moska

Post by Moska »

Hi Mike!

You are the best! :) You fixed the problem in one shot!!! Many thanks!!! my precious came back with full activities!!! heheh
Moska

Post by Moska »

Dear all,

I would like to contribuite with this nice project as I can! Could you inform if I can use this link below?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... 43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

At the bottom of my post there is a link you can follow for donating to ersky9x/er9x..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrenoites

Post by andrenoites »

Hello Mike

I am testing you latest er9xProv821e firmware in my 9xr with a XJT module and it's working really good:

er9xProv821e.zip
12-Apr-2016 14:27
Correct MULTI FrSky CH_16 and CH_8
(386.9 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

The only thing I can't configure is the number of channels in the PXX D16 protocol, this is a really important feature because in a Taranis we can change from 16CH to 8CH and the frame size is reduced from 18ms to only 9ms go get a better latency,

In the disclaimer of your latest test version it shows "Correct MULTI FrSky CH_16 and CH_8"
Is this the same feature I am talking about? if not could it be possible to add this feature?

Thank you for your awesome work, I really enjoy flying with your firmware :)
johanjonker

Post by johanjonker »

Just wanted to know if anyone experience the radio return to the error screen of a model and you loose total control when flying and you press the "menu" key 3 times.. its 3 long presses

I was flying FPV so I cant really see the screen, and the timer was set a little short, and on the OSD voltage I still have some time left.. So I mistakenly pressed the Menu key and not the ESC key, in an attempt to reset the timer. I pressed long key once since you cant fly long with you hand off the sticks, I tried a second and then 3rd time to reset the timer.. by pressing the menu instead of the ESC key..

I lost all control and the display was showing "ALERT" RUD ID0
I just find it a little alarmingly easy to disable the radio pressing the menu key..

I'm always in a rush to go and fly, and dont always setup all the settings and modes and switches..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What revision of er9x are you using?
Could you have pressed any other keys as well? Pressing MENU LONG twice will get you to the "Model Select" screen. If you then pressed either the up or down buttons and then pressed MENU again, probably twice, you would end up selecting another model. This would stop the output pulses and run the throttle and switch checks for the new model.

You may find, if you look at the timer setup, you can set a switch to reset a timer and not need to use the EXIT button.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

andrenoites wrote:The only thing I can't configure is the number of channels in the PXX D16 protocol, this is a really important feature because in a Taranis we can change from 16CH to 8CH and the frame size is reduced from 18ms to only 9ms go get a better latency,
In the disclaimer of your latest test version it shows "Correct MULTI FrSky CH_16 and CH_8"
Is this the same feature I am talking about? if not could it be possible to add this feature?
In PXX mode 16 channels are always sent at present. The MULTI fix is related to using MULTI protocol, not PXX, and is the selection between D16 mode and D8 mode.

I may well be able to add the option for only 8 channels, ersky9x (for ARM processors) does have that. My usual problem is fitting everything in to the M64 processor. I can definitely add it for '128 processors.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:
You may find, if you look at the timer setup, you can set a switch to reset a timer and not need to use the EXIT button.

Mike.
What about removing the reset timer with the exit key? The ideal would be to disable the menu key when flying, but how do we tell the radio we are flying? :o :o

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrenoites

Post by andrenoites »

MikeB wrote:
andrenoites wrote:The only thing I can't configure is the number of channels in the PXX D16 protocol, this is a really important feature because in a Taranis we can change from 16CH to 8CH and the frame size is reduced from 18ms to only 9ms go get a better latency,
In PXX mode 16 channels are always sent at present. The MULTI fix is related to using MULTI protocol, not PXX, and is the selection between D16 mode and D8 mode.

I may well be able to add the option for only 8 channels, ersky9x (for ARM processors) does have that. My usual problem is fitting everything in to the M64 processor. I can definitely add it for '128 processors.

Mike.
Please Mike add that feature for 128 processors, I'm lucky as my Turnigy 9rx is the one with that CPU :)
It will be a great feature to use in my race quad because I could reduce the aliased caused by the 18ms frame package to half, as you know 8ch only uses 9ms frames.

Here is a picture of a blackbox log running 18ms frames, notice the pid controller reaction when I go harder on the sticks.
The huge steps in the radio signal causes rapid changes in yaw and roll PIDs, 9ms frames will be a huge improvement :)
Attachments
blackbox.JPG
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a test version of er9x for '128 and '2561 processors with an option for 8 or 16 channels in PXX protocol (here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598&p=64969#p64969).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrenoites

Post by andrenoites »

MikeB wrote:I've just posted a test version of er9x for '128 and '2561 processors with an option for 8 or 16 channels in PXX protocol (here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598&p=64969#p64969).

Mike.

Truly amazing work Mike!
I tested and it's working, 9ms frame rate acknowledged by the flight controller.
For now I only did a quick indoor test but tomorrow I will fly outside and will make a blackbox log to show you the diference :)

I will share you link with other Pilots what will appreciate your effort.
See you soon
andrenoites

Post by andrenoites »

I just shared your awesome work with my friends pilots from Boris Betaflight project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ount=33804

Thank you Mike for this release
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

MikeB wrote:I've just posted a test version of er9x for '128 and '2561 processors with an option for 8 or 16 channels in PXX protocol (here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598&p=64969#p64969).

Mike.
Great work Mike. Your willingness to help and your quick response is amazing.

Can you help me with some advice please on a related topic.
I am using my Sky9x board equipped home built tray radio for 'copters and have the same desire to reduce frame length to reduce latency. It's the B1 version with the Atmel SAM3S ARM Cortex M3 Microprocessor . You said earlier
"I may well be able to add the option for only 8 channels, ersky9x (for ARM processors) does have that. "

Looking at the options under the PROTOCOL menu in ErSky9x version r218 I have the option of reducing the frame length down to 12.5 ms for PPM transmission. I am using a FrSky DHT module on PPM2 pins of the Sky9x board. I use 8 channels CPPM for the copter flight controller.

At present I have the frame length set for 27.5 ms. Can I reduce the frame length and what would be the minimum you would recommend?

Steve
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Oops!
I've just realised that to use all eight channels the D4r-II FrSky has to have 27 ms frame length. So PPM has to have the long frame length.

If I were to use the the internals from an XJT module for my Sky9x board in PXX protocol and SBUS via an X series Rx could I then use D16 and 8 channels mode and reduce the frame length to 12.5 ms with ErSky9x r218 firmware?

Thanks
Steve
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The PPM frame length control in the firmware only determines how the radio sends data to the module, the receiver is not affected and always uses the same 27ms regardless.
PXX/SBUS with 8 channels gives you 9ms refresh.
andrenoites

Post by andrenoites »

Hey Mike this one is for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Tw1F ... e=youtu.be

Hope you enjoyed the video, the er9x 9ms firmware is working flawless :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

very good video..

Muito Bom ;) :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

hi guys.. quick question re the 8 instead of 16 channels to reduce latency.. says only for 128 not 64 models.. how do I check which version 9xr-pro I have?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This thread is for the 9X/9XR, running er9x, not the 'PRO. The 'PRO uses ersky9x and that has the 8/16 option in for all versions.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

oops my bad sorry mike. followed link from the betaflight thread and didn't notice topic title..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Some good new for those using the M64. Pascal (planger), while working on the DIT MULTI module has found a way to reduce the CRC table (for the XJT) from 256 words (512 bytes) to 16 words (32 bytes) while having very little effect in execution time. I've put this into er9x, and tested it with a XJT module and all works OK. There is a saving of 434 bytes in total size.

Mike.

Edit: A bit more optimisation of the code increases the saving to 454 bytes!
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Excellent :mrgreen:

Thank you.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Moska

Post by Moska »

MikeB wrote:Some good new for those using the M64. Pascal (planger), while working on the DIT MULTI module has found a way to reduce the CRC table (for the XJT) from 256 words (512 bytes) to 16 words (32 bytes) while having very little effect in execution time. I've put this into er9x, and tested it with a XJT module and all works OK. There is a saving of 434 bytes in total size.

Mike.

Edit: A bit more optimisation of the code increases the saving to 454 bytes!

Excellent news Mike! Congratulations and of course Many Thanks!!!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, this morning I woke up with a crazy idea for the stock 9x board.. :)

As the serial voice module saves some pins, and now there are some other pins available for other applications like extra switches etc, what about real support for a second RF module, instead of the PPM16 option?
My RF module power soft switch, that I'm successfully using with the Ar9x board (and soon the skyboard and the PRO), could be used to switch both modules ON or OFF in the firmware without the need for extra pins from the Atmega.
The problem in my opinion would be finding a free pin that could be used for outputting PPM/serial?
I have been looking at the m2561 pinout but obviously that is Chinese for me, and I don't speak Chinese :)
Could any of the extra pins be used for it?
If not, what about PD0 and PD1 (pins 25 and 25)?? I believe that currently they are assigned to one of the horizontal trims.

What about pin 34 (RF Power Check)? If you implement the new trainer profiles in Er9x, I think this is redundant as the radio being used as "Slave" could be set in the trainer menu for every model..

This is just an idea, and I believe it would be a great feature for Er9x and it would bring the 9x radio with stock(ish) board to a new level where you could have 2 modules (or at least 1) permanently installed in the radio, and switch the used module(s) ON or OFF depending on the loaded model.
I was going to convert my last 9x with m2561 to Ar9x, but if you think this idea has a chance, I will wait.

This radio has some stock gimbals that I converted to hall sensors, and replacing the board with Ar9x would mainly test how these gimbals would work with it.. but that could wait, or I could convert other stock gimbals i have here, as it is not too difficult to do it ;)

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x”