er9x development

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
shaith

Re: er9x development

Post by shaith »

An interesting glitch noticed a while ago. I was bound to model 1, but was able to control model 1 AND model 2 at the same time. Thankfully, model 2 had its motor disconnected so nobody took a rotor blade to the knee, but still strange that 1 activated model would be able to control multiple bound receivers at the same time.

Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

That's because it isn't a two-way link. er9x spits out a PPM stream and assumes something is there to listen to it. In the case of R/C, it's a transmitter module. The module is never told which receiver/model it's trying to control - it broadcasts the PPM data along with a transmitter identifier. The receiver listens for valid PPM data with an identifier that matches what it's been bound to. If you have two receivers powered up at the same time, they'll both listen to the PPM data from the TX module, and you'll get the same servo signals on both receivers. The PXX protocol addresses this, but you would need a transmitter module and receivers that support it (the newest FrSky systems for instance).
kaos

Post by kaos »

I believe that function is called 'model matching' like in the DSM2/X and other transmission protocol. It is good and bad. It is good as a safety if you powered up two rx/model at the same time by accident as you did, only one will respond. But it is bad, if you try to move the model set up to another spot in the Tx, you have to rebind the rx after you change the model number in the Tx.
To me, it is more convenient without model matching if you moves models around in Tx. As long as you know you should not power up two bound rx at the the same time ( and I don't know why any one would work on two 'hot' model at the same time using one Tx). I have multiple rxs, hate to rebind them every time I swap them. Also, if you are short on rx, you can use one rx from one model to another without rebinding them. You can't do that with model matching without rebinding the rx and after you put that rx back to the other model, you have to rebind them again.
I started with just 2 or 3 models then end up with >20 models. I regroup these models so similar modeld will be together. If I use 'model match' system I have to dig out every rx in each model and rebind them when rearranging these models. some are hard to get the rx out. pain in the Butt. ;)
For system without model matching, just make sure you don't power up two models at the same time.

but openTx does it a little differently: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... ing#p29176
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

kaos wrote:'model matching'
Indeed, though ModelMatch is a Spektrum/Horizon Hobby trademark. While the term seems a bit dubious as a trademark, it's probably wise to avoid potential legal headaches by using something else. For irony's sake, the term should be equally obvious and plain-english-descriptive. ReceiverMatch maybe?
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep. Actually these common names I don't think should be trade marked to begin with. ;) That is something every one can understand. Shuiiiiiiii, don't tell any one, some one may trade mark receiverMatch too. :P

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll see if I can easily get a RxNumber in for the DSM. I hadn't realised it was using the model slot number!
PXX does indeed have a RxNumber assigned to the model that moves with it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kaos

Post by kaos »

thx Mike. I am sure people using DSM protocol will love to have that. As long as you don't loose too much sleep on it. ;)
Good to know PXX has a Rxnumber that moves with it. That just gave it a '+' on my initiative to adopt XJT in the future. So many these little info are not clear in the beginning to me. That was a '-' to me when I learned PXX has 'model matching', not knowing it is a 'moving' number. ;)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The PXX code has had a RxNumber all along, just the original DJT version didn't use it as there was no receiver to handle it!

I still need to improve the PXX support, currently I'm only sending the 8 channels to get it working. I also need to handle the failsafe setting from the Tx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

Looking forward to that, Mike. Obviously you still can't have more sleep yet. :P
shaith

Post by shaith »

Actually, having both powered was on purpose as one was being flown while the other was being worked on. Not a huge deal, but still a bit of a shock since I hadn't realized that the transmitter would impact every bound model at the same time. Good tidbit to know for the future.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

r805 released:
Quite a few bugs due to the stick mode change now fixed.

List of changes:
Correct sink tones sense
Increase RPM blade count to 127
Fix cyclic pitch bug on different stick modes
Fix trainer bug on stick modes
Force store of general setup on auto EEPROM upgrade
Fix beep centre bug
Fix HP vario SPort scaling
Add channel uS display to limits menu
Scale output bars if extended limits enabled
Fix expo/dr bug due to stick modes change
Fix throttle trim bug due to stick modes change
Fix encoder button not changing on/off values

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In responding to a PM for some help I've had cause to look at the operation of T-TRIM (throttle trim) and trim adjustment in general.

Currently a trim moves twice when you pres a trim switch, once when it turns on and again when it turns off. I shall change this to not changing on the turn off. You will get half the amount of trim change for a single press, but can always change the TRIM-INC value if you want more. I've noticed this myself, but never remembered when I've got back from flying to look at it.

T-TRIM sets the trim increment to MEDIUM regardless of your TRIM-INC setting (why?) I shall change this to FINE. With the above change you will have FOUR times the resolution for setting the idle position for the throttle.

Those of you with IC engines do use T-TRIM don't you?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes of course.. Thank you..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
shaith

Post by shaith »

Loaded the new release on my 9xr this morning. Wrote saved config data - still get bad eeprom data prompt. read config data from tx, copied models to new doc, wrote new doc to radio. models/configs wrote successfully. Turned radio off, threw in TX module, powered it up. TX module blinks indicating it's transmitting, but none of the models responds. Tried rebinding, bound successfully, but no response to any stick inputs or switch throws.

Went back to the 805 beta I saved and everything works normally.

Suggestions?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is this with a M128 processor?

If so, do you have M128 set as preferences in BOTH preferences AND burn|configure and did you load er9x-128.hex?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
shaith

Post by shaith »

Mike -

Yes, this is on an M128, and it's set as an M128 in all the appropriate places. I'll try re-downloading the 128 hex file and re-burn it later today and get back to you.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Also check in preferences you have set the correct version (er9x-128) to download.
Flashing a M64 version to the 128 hardware will cause the bad EEPROM message.
I checked updating my '128 and all worked without error.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
FredL

Post by FredL »

Guys,
I really appreciate the effort going into the ongoing devlopment of this software. I think it is exciting.
I have gone to the link
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/source/detail?r=806
to try and download the latest r806 version version for my 128 equipped Turnigy 9XR.
How do you actaully download and save the .hex file?
Clicking on /trunk/er9x-128.hex sends me to yet another page and the hex file content gets listed, but I have no options to save the actual .hex file. I am unable to 'select all' and save it in my own copy of the file and clicking and dragging is slow and I think would take 10s of minutes to select the entire listing.
Saving the target file only saves the html for the page listed above - but not the actual .hex file.
What am I missing here?

PS: I do miss the small beep when the trim gets centred that was in the original software that came with the radio - which I understand to be a snapshot of er9X taken way back.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With the hex file displayed, find the link "view raw file". Right click on this and select "save link target as".

Have you installed eepe? This will locate updates and download them for you (help|check for updates). You can also edit your models using eepe. This is often easier then editing on the Tx.

You should find you can have beeps for each trim step, and the trim adjusting stops at the centre anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
FredL

Post by FredL »

Mike, thanks for the reply.
I do have eepe loaded and running. It is great.
When I start it up it does the check and tells me that a new version of er9x (er9x.hex) is available. The issue for me is that this a little ambiguous since it isn't clear if this is the er9x-128.hex that I need, so I don't download it from there.
I found the link to the raw file from the hex display and downloaded r806 from there so I am OK now.
Thanks for the assistance.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When I do a release, all the hex files are updated. Also, the download you get is the one requested by the setting in preferences.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
shaith

Post by shaith »

Mike -

Grabbed EEPE 388, installed. Configured for M128 in the relevant locations, made sure it was set for the usbasp programmer. Read the old firmware from the radio, no issues. Read the model data, no issues. Downloaded the M128 firmware from the repository. Wrote it to the radio, no issues. Verified the firmware was correct (did not contain telemetry data as I haven't done that mod on the 9xr).

Wrote the model data, started checking. Discovered that throttle and elevator was reversed on all models. Reconnected programmer, read model data, verified that channels were assigned correctly (they were), then re-wrote the model data to the radio. Checked, and this time, the THR and ELE stayed in their assigned channels.

Went to perform a test with my MQX, noticed it was extremely touchy in calm conditions. Started digging through and discovered that apparently the expo/dr was ALSO reversed on channel assignments, so the rates that should have been applied to elevator control are now being applied to the throttle and vice-versa. Reconnected programmer, re-read data from radio, reconfigured expo/dr correctly, wrote back to radio. Checked on radio, DR now set up correctly. Reconnected programmer again, read from radio, verified that values are still correct on channel assignments and on DR/EXPO, everything appears to be in order.
shaith

Post by shaith »

That'll end testing for today - apparently Mother Nature has decided we need a bath.

Did discover that adjusting the weight of the throttle mix down beyond 60 while the model was active but idle on the ground caused the rotors to suddenly start spinning up, as did changing the expo/dr settings on the throttle channel through that same range. (hey, someone's gotta try stupid things to see what happens, right?)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

to try stupid things as you say, better to remove props/blades ;) :) they bite badly :D

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

shaith wrote:Did discover that adjusting the weight of the throttle mix down beyond 60 while the model was active but idle on the ground caused the rotors to suddenly start spinning up
Yeah, I think that's what it's supposed to do. -100 on the throttle stick -> scaled to 60% by the mix -> -60 applied to the throttle channel (20% of the ESC's 0-100% throttle range)
shaith

Post by shaith »

heh, the blades on the nano qx won't bite...it's more of an "assertive nibble"

the MQX bites a little harder but still nothing I'd be overly worried about.

my 450 on the other hand... I think that thing is safest when left without a battery and the motor unplugged ;)
kaos

Post by kaos »

I never work on a 450 (not even 250) without unplug at least two of the motor wires. either the blades are off (check rotation direction) or the plugs are off (set up pitch, swash, servo direction). can't afford one single instance on a 450. Even that, I had one incidence of the tail rotor hitting something on the table by accident.
A friend of mine who is experienced heli flyer and er9x user/code writer. but out of temporary dementia ;), he turned the Tx power off and end up with a 10cm gush on the arm + multiple bruises on the hands by a 450.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New revision released:

Add ppm in monitoring in mixer - A mix line with PPMx as source AND a switch configured is ignored if the PPM input is not present.
Improve model version update

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote:There is at least one feature I would like to see on the stock board (m128/2561?) though:
Allow telemetry as inputs, with the scalling of course.
João
What sort of things would you use this for?
A general question really, so we can all decide how useful it might be.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hey Joao, Long time… ;-)
I am interested in knowing what you mean. I am not sure I understand….
The Telemetry as inputs…? I am all over the telemetry stuff for my Hexa/Quad with APM
Could you explain?

Thanks.

Pino

Edit: I read the thread where you posted this… never mind ;-)
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “er9x”