Trim settings go away

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Mazeppa

Trim settings go away

Post by Mazeppa »

Study of the new Er9x Manual 2015 (so glad to have this) nor searches have revealed an answer to my question, so here we go.

Version V1.2432-Mike in a Turnigy 9x using an OrangeRX DIY DSM2 module.
Trim settings entered while flying the model all reset to zero when the Transmitter is powered off/on.
All models are affected in this way.

Retention of trim settings entered in flight would be very handy for later reference when making mechanical adjustments to compensate for trim discrepancies.

Question is: Does the version referenced above have a setting that will allow retention of trim settings through power cycles?
If so, would someone please detail how trim setting retention is activated?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Trim settings go away

Post by MikeB »

That isn't normal. Trim changes while using the Tx should always be saved.
For the version of the firmware you are running, what is on the line labelled "SVN:" please?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Mazeppa

Post by Mazeppa »

er9x-r816
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

So, to confirm what you are seeing.
You power on the radio, and on the main screen the 4 trim indicators are centered.
You then move one of the trims and the indicator moves away from the centre.
You wait 2 or 3 seconds to give the firmware time to update the EEPROM. I added a small flashing line in the top left corner, at some point, to indicate there is an outstanding EEPROM write pending. I'm not sure if it is in r816.
You power off, then power on again. You find the trim indicator that you changed is now back at the centre.

You now create a new model and repeat the above and the trims still rturn to the centre.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Mazeppa

Post by Mazeppa »

Correct on all points with the following exceptions:
I have never seen a flashing light in the upper left of the display that you mentioned.
I realized that I had not tried throttle trim as I never use it, I set idle with an offset and kill the engine with a throttle cut.
At any rate, throttle trim is retained. Aileron, Elevator and Rudder trims are not retained in all 3 models I have on this radio.

You mentioned creating a new model which reminded me that these 3 models were all copies of the initial model I set up on this radio.
I went to Model 13, which I had never touched, entered nothing, performed the test and all trim settings were retained through the power on/off cycle.

Apparently, there is something in my model(s) set up causing this problem. I was looking for a common cause in the general radio setup.

Mazeppa

Post by Mazeppa »

I'll compare the setups for Model 13 and the others to see if I can determine a cause.

I seems my thinking fell short on this one.
Mazeppa

Post by Mazeppa »

Well, I wish I could report that as a result of some determined sleuthing I solved the case of the disappearing trim settings, but I cannot.

Wearied of making comparisons between the model setups and Model 13 to no avail, so I just deleted all 3 and built new ones with the same throttle cut/throttle offset for idle position mixes. The new model setups work the same as the old ones, but all 3 retain any trim settings entered through
power on/off cycles.

I'm going call it problem due to unknown operator error and go fly something.
Thanks for your response, Mike.

Return to “er9x”