Unexplained link loss, any brand system?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
ShowMaster

Unexplained link loss, any brand system?

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm starting this to discuss possible crashes that happen that are more than random?
I was asked if I had any idea why suddenly high end planes with accomplished pilots and various brand name systems are suffering loss of control. High end Futaba and Spektrum for the most part are affected but are also the dominate systems in use.
The condition happens in normal flight, no 3D or aerobatics going on.
It's at a large very busy RC field.
I as most, would assume "stuff happens", pilots make mistakes. Not what these flyers think.
Maybe 30+ systems on at one time spread over 500 feet of various, nitro, gas, electric, and the latest concern, "fpv flyers in mass!
Not the dji type, but the quad, hex, and larger format systems with radio carts, big screen displays, and so many antennas and boxes held on with velcro.
The concern is that these setups are maybe running 2.4g wifi high power boosters or other electronics.
Of course it could be a witch hunt but the fpv group clusters at one end of the field and has very little interaction with the fixed wing flyers.
The current plan is to document the time an unexplained control happens and take a video of the FPV area to see if it coincides with a particular group or person flying FPV.
Having high end Futaba systems lose control isn't as common so it's peaked interest in what's going on.
It could also be an unhappy person that's discovered a jamming device that can be bought? Let's not go there but instead concentrate on maybe someone just wants to boot his 2.4g signal.
Our biggest worry is the number of large turbine now flying at the field so we have to be concerned.

Ideas welcome. I'll update this only to add updates or dismiss it if it goes away.

seancull

Re: Unexplained link loss, any brand system?

Post by seancull »

One obvious thought with the taranis would be to make sure the signal strength was being logged to the SD card during flight.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Get a spectrum analyzer.

www.rf-explorer.com
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

To cover the Rc 2.4 range what's the price? They say starting at $99?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

seancull wrote:One obvious thought with the taranis would be to make sure the signal strength was being logged to the SD card during flight.
Yes, but sadly we're still not the "chosen ones". I have read where 1.2-3g can take out Frsky, but from what I've read it has to be real close.
I'm sure 2.4g as robust as it is, has some threats.
I think running close proximity high power (not legal levels for our slice of the band) will happen.

Carbo

Post by Carbo »

ShowMaster wrote:To cover the Rc 2.4 range what's the price? They say starting at $99?
Very interesting - i found it in Europe for € 349,-- from 15 - 2700 MHz

Monacor
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Bill

Post by Bill »

Look for someone using 2.4GHz for video it uses a large part of the bandwidth that's why you can't feasibly use 2.4 GHz for video with 2.4 radio. Someone might be using 2.4 for video with an old 72 MHz set or a long range UHF, so look for that.
If someone has massively boosted their 1.2GHz video this could be a problem 1.2 GHz equipment does have a harmonic on 2.4 GHz.
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”