Winter is Nearly Here.

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Flaps 30

Winter is Nearly Here.

Post by Flaps 30 »

That is almost it for us in the temperate zones up North. Clocks due to change soon, which will reduce flying times even more with the coming of finger chilling temperatures of below 12°C that stops some of us (me) from even thinking of flying. Sunday just gone was brilliant. Low winds and a lot of powerful thermals coming through, yet our local field had just four of us flying. Bit sad that.

So the time is coming for all those things to do that you have put off during the Summer, which was in general a good one for us. So now the planning starts regarding the decorating and preparations for Christmas. The decorating and other jobs that were put off have to be completed at least a week before Christmas.

Modelling as such goes onto the back burner and decisions are made as to what models to junk or sell onto someone else, that also applies to old radio gear like the now (almost) defunct vintage 9X that has been abused over the last few years. It is time to add a nice new Taranis or/and a 9XPro to your secret Christmas present list.

For my part we have a radio club junk sale coming up. I have a car load of stuff to take to it. That includes a stack of unwanted cables and a couple of professional (JVC) VHS rack mounting recorders. I just might add a few boxes of components that came from a clear out of an audio studio that went to the wall a while back. It's amazing how much junk you collect over time, much of it may be something that you have had for ten years or more, and you are keeping it, as it may be of use on something. Then it hits you that it was twenty years ago that you got that, and the chances of you doing something with it before you end up too old or dead are virtually zero, then it is time to move it on, rather than leave the job to someone else when you are no longer around or unable to do anything..

Right. That's enough from me. My back is hurting like hell due to spending too much time polishing the car before Winter sets in. So chaps. What have you planned to keep yourselves amused over the winter period (which I reckon will be a nasty cold one) or are you going to hibernate after the new year festivities?

jhsa

Re: Winter is Nearly Here.

Post by jhsa »

well, I think the 9x is far from being defunct yet.. maybe not not that far, but far enough :mrgreen:

I'm planning to replace the chips on both my 9x's with the Atmega2561. Also got some Hall effect switches coming my way to use with openXsensor whrn it supports RPM.. It would be nice to have it on my Extra 300L 10cc ;)
Then , will see what comes up. If nothing, or is too cold, will hibernate.. I wish ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

Flaps 30 wrote: It's amazing how much junk you collect over time, much of it may be something that you have had for ten years or more, and you are keeping it, as it may be of use on something. Then it hits you that it was twenty years ago that you got that, and the chances of you doing something with it before you end up too old or dead are virtually zero, then it is time to move it on, rather than leave the job to someone else when you are no longer around or unable to do anything..
Yep, but usually the next day after you dump them, you find yourself need them. :mrgreen:
For tropical people like me, winter is the best time to fly than doing mods. All the heat/humidity will be gone. ;) Have 5 planes built but not flown yet. ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Winter coincides with video game release season so there will be some of that, plus hopefully find some motivation to sort/edit tons of photo and video (I say that every winter but rarely go very far, and then the years start to accumulate...), travelling a bit for work, then likely some programming...

I have a couple of models to sell but as they're ready to fly I tend to keep that for the beginning of the season. People are usually more likely to pay more for them when the first beautiful spring days are coming and they realise they've got nothing ready, and that they can come pick it up and be in the air the same day :mrgreen:

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”