Blootooth Voice Mods

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Flaps 30

Blootooth Voice Mods

Post by Flaps 30 »

I know that Showmaster has ideas on adding this to his TX(s)...

For me this Blootooth stuff is a steep learing curve.. I have played around with this module ----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161024019141? ... 1439.l2649 So far I have had it blinking the LEDs waiting to be paired. This happens at switch on, so that is going to help in the future, in that I can forget having a separate push switch for it or an indicator, so that means no extra holes on the box. My ancient Ipaq can see it, but it doesn't wish to know it and I guess the same applies to any bluetooth phone, as it wants to 'talk' A2DP ... So until I get a Plantronics M50 Bluetooth Headset (which is supposed to do A2DP version blah blah) through the post this project is on hold for now.

Anyone else with any info? ... So far I find the Blootooth field is heavily mined just waiting for you to step on a Mine and waste your money on something that isn't compatible with the latest or some outdated standard that was last used a year back. :evil:

Ohh... Reason for this is partly due to the need to show an example on the flight line that we should all do our bit to remove nuisance noises like beeps and the like from transmitters, not to mention that we should all start to move towards silent flight or wear ear defenders and Hi Vis jackets. :mrgreen: The other reason is that given that the Taranis will swamp the market (our club will have at least three of them in the near future) and we are going to have problems knowing who's transmitter said what. :? :shock: This situation could be improved by having a few voice packs with different voices from the Frsky standard one.

thomas9x

Re: Blootooth Voice Mods

Post by thomas9x »

Hmm. I saw in the ebay link that your module has the OVC3860 Bluetooth chip. It appears to be only an audio receiver (and is not the audio transmitter that you need). Here's the data sheet:
https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/RefNotes/OVC3860_RIN.pdf

A wireless headphone is something I have on my 9x's to-do list too. So hopefully you work out all the bugs before I start so I can leverage off your success. Godspeed!
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thanks for that link.. Yes I see what you mean.. But if you look at the Ebay link, you will find information concerning the mono microphone input connections along with VMIC which is the bias output for an electret microphone. Here is a bit more on the BLK-MD-SPK-B ---> http://www.electrodragon.com/w/images/0 ... O_MUTE.pdf

Should have some answers on Monday night if the earpiece arrives on or before Monday.
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

Some Bluetooth modules support wireless telephone headset applications. That would explain why there's only one mic input. My gut feeling is that this particular module may not work out, but hopeful I am wrong.

FWIW, it's best to not to blindly trust the Chinese technical data (been burned countless times). So your roll-up-your-sleeves and test just it method will provide the best information.

- Thomas
Greebo

Post by Greebo »

How bizarre the world is.... I just took delivery of exactly this module from the same seller (to be used in my Motorcycle helmet to play music from my phone).
I've currently got a bluetooth audio receiver in the helmet that I cannibalised out of a box designed for plugging into the line in on your car, but this little chip is about 1/4 the size... plus the one I cannibalised has flashing led's that are very annoying at night :)

Keep us posted with how you go, I'm going to solder some wires onto this new one and chuck it on a breadboard to play with in the next week or so. It seems to be much more flexible than the one I already have - if I can figure out how to make it all work!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I put my project on hold due to tx repairs and learning to use my Taranis. I was hoping the interest would ramp up and I could share knowledge or tap into it.
On my modified 9x and skyboard TXs I use the haptic for small reminders and the audio for things like radio battery low and RSSI alarms.
Not having the haptic requires me to have more voice prompts. This makes the BT audio more important now to not bother others.
The headphone jack is something I need to try to get used to the idea.
All in good time. I'm sure as more people take delivery on a talking tx no matter the brand, BT will be a hot topic.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

thomas9x wrote:Some Bluetooth modules support wireless telephone headset applications. That would explain why there's only one mic input. My gut feeling is that this particular module may not work out, but hopeful I am wrong.
You were right sadly. :( The module is a receiver unit and not a transmitter of audio, even though it shows a microphone input on it. So that is one dead end.
Greebo wrote:How bizarre the world is.... I just took delivery of exactly this module from the same seller (to be used in my Motorcycle helmet to play music from my phone).
Keep us posted with how you go, I'm going to solder some wires onto this new one and chuck it on a breadboard to play with in the next week or so. It seems to be much more flexible than the one I already have - if I can figure out how to make it all work!
For your use it should work well as a receiver feeding earphones. I could get it paired up with a Bluetooth A2DP transmitter without any issues.

It took me a while to understand that it was all about A2DP. If the items didn't have that, then it wasn't suitable for what we are looking for. I managed to purchase a Plantronics M50 headset that was A2DP enabled. The hard bit was to find a transmitter module or unit that could be plugged into the (recently installed) 3.5mm headphone socket on the 9X.

From my searches I couldn't find a bare module that I was certain would do the job, so I ended up with a plug in unit. Note that it is called a transmitter. There are look alike units that you might think would do. Read the small print carefully, as most of them are receivers that you plug into your Hi Fi input socket or whatever. -----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230991694927? ... 1439.l2649

Testing it all out showed a problem. The sound was badly distorted when plugged into the transmitter, but it was fine when plugged into my hi fi amplifier. Cutting the story short. My TX has a Megasound card installed and the problem came down to the audio output of the Megasound card not liking having no load on it, and the output level was too high. This was sorted out by adding an 82 Ohm resistor in series with the output of the headphone socket and the Bluetooth transmitter, and a 8R2 Ohm resistor between the input of the Bluetooth transmitter and ground, which gives you around 20dB of attenuation to the Bluetooth transmitter along with adding a load to the output of the Megasound card. The attenuator was built into a jack plug after cutting off the original jack plug on the Bluetooth transmitter.

The Bluetooth transmitter is attached using Velcro to the back of the Frsky module and it doesn't get in the way. The jack plug also has some Velcro on it, so that it can be stored away when not in use. Obviously you could take off the Bluetooth transmitter if you so wish. :)
ShowMaster wrote:All in good time. I'm sure as more people take delivery on a talking tx no matter the brand, BT will be a hot topic.
I am certain of that, as added noise pollution on the flight line/pilots area from all Taranis' and Jeti transmitters, along with the rest when they come will get to a level where pilots will start complaining at each other. I now use the Bluetooth system and have made it known that I hope others will follow suit, or we (as in my local club) will have to raise the issue at a meeting, with a motion in place to limit the volume levels, or even insist on an earphone to be in use whilst with other active pilots. This I feel will be even more of an issue in clubs that are glider only or slope flyers. This is all before you think about the safety matters with a group of transmitters all using the same voices saying different things. It would be so easy to mistake someone else's transmitter saying something. thinking it was yours.
kaos

Post by kaos »

there is a long thread about BT :http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=934
so far only the data transmission is implemented. I can use FRS logger to read the telemetry data from my Sky9X Tx and FRS logger will announce the data via my cell phone. but since the ERSKY9X voice capability was implemented, there is no need for me to use the BT via cell phone any more. there is specific BT module will work from ebay in that thread.
It would be nice to have BT voice without wire/earphone. I just don't have the heart to bring that up to Mike cause he is working so hard. ;)
But the voice in the earphone piece is awesome compared to the Tx spker. I can use earphone in the flying field with gas engine running around without affecting the voice at all.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Greebo

Post by Greebo »

I finally tracked down a manual witrh some more info for that EBay module that I (and Flaps 30) purchased.

It has a serial connection and there is a huge set of commands to interface with it.
Here's the link I found: http://www.elecfreaks.com/wiki/index.ph ... K-MD-SPK-B

This is a Google translation of the Chinese Introduction:
Users can through the serial port and BLK-MD-SPK-A chip communication, to achieve Bluetooth headset / handsfree and stereo headset functionality. Master (MCU) through the serial port to send a simple AT commands can be realized. Using serial Tx, Rx two signal lines, baud rate support 1200,2400,4800,9600,14400,19200,38400,57600,115200,230400,460800 and 921600bps. The default serial port baud rate is 9600bps.

I have not tested any of these serial commands yet, still need to solder wires onto the serial pins.

Note that the CHIP, (and from these instructions, the module as well) do support A2DP, HFP and AVRCP, so you should be able to make it do what you need. You may be able to use the serial interface for all of your needs if you're driving it from your Radio.

Let me know if you have any further success with this BT module (and I will post further results when I get to test them).
kaos

Post by kaos »

Looks like I misread the topic completely. this about voice not data.
why not just plug in audio jack this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261026669853?ss ... 1438.l2649
and you should be able to use any Blue tooth ear piece while maintaining the audio plug in case your BT ear piece is running out of battery?
You probably can take out the module inside and use Tx power to avoid recharging this dongle and put the whole thing inside the Tx.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

That is basically what I ended up doing as you can see in my previous post Kaos. The earpiece/headset that has to be A2DP enabled, not all earpieces have that capability.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Greebo wrote: It has a serial connection and there is a huge set of commands to interface with it.
Here's the link I found: http://www.elecfreaks.com/wiki/index.ph ... K-MD-SPK-B

This is a Google translation of the Chinese Introduction:
Users can through the serial port and BLK-MD-SPK-A chip communication, to achieve Bluetooth headset / handsfree and stereo headset functionality. Master (MCU) through the serial port to send a simple AT commands can be realized. Using serial Tx, Rx two signal lines, baud rate support 1200,2400,4800,9600,14400,19200,38400,57600,115200,230400,460800 and 921600bps. The default serial port baud rate is 9600bps.
I've recently purchased one of these myself and I believe you're correct in that it has to be set up through the AT commands. I'm actually wondering if there may be some basic AT commands missing from the list. For example it mentions the various baud rates but there doesn't appear to be a way to actually change the default rate. There's also no obvious way (unless I've missed something) to change the mode between HFP, A2DP and AVRCP... unless it's done by simply using the AT#CA command that somehow does it?

Looking at the module I can see it uses an OVC3860, AT commands for which can be found here (in English fortunately) http://www.electrodragon.com/w/images/4 ... 0_List.pdf

I'm hoping to be able to control the module using a picaxe microcontroller but unfortunately I can't do that until I can change the baud rate as the picaxe (14m2) doesn't handle serial communication at 115200bps. I've tried communicating with it at 9600 but I'm getting random characters in response suggesting the baud rate is wrong. I've ordered a USB to TTL convertor that should arrive later in the week so I can try connecting at 115200bps and see if I can get a response from it.

One thing I'm wondering is where the AT commands are stored. I don't believe they're stored on the OVC3860 itself but rather on the T24C32A eeprom it has: http://www.fs-rank.com/uploadfile/20090519140219135.pdf
Perhaps there's something on there that needs altering to set the initial mode.

I'm very interested to see what results you get.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I think just about any 'newer' stereo BT earphone/cell phone would be A2DP compatible like these two:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wireless-A2 ... 3cd3c9922b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-A2DP-Blu ... 8804561%26

I am surprised the mega sound board has a problem of no load issue. These dongle is supposed to work with any 'regular' 3.5 audio jack. Wondering if the sky9x board has the same issue? The BT voice WAS on my list to do, but my 'free' earphone came with my FPV DVR works so well with the Sky9x board (quality of sound) I have not had any motivation to pursue it yet. ;)

How about figure out a way to put the module inside the Tx, powered by tx power, while keeping the jack functional? one step further, some how the FW can be programed to turn on /off the BT voice module to save tx power when not needed. ;)
who knows, in the future, we may be able to use voice control to turn on/off a switch with these cell phone ear piece. ;)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I was surprised as well Kaos. The dongle was fine with my home stereo system, yet it required the modifications as outlined to work with the Megasound module.

Yes the next step (when funds allow it) will be to purchase another Bluetooth transmitter module and tear it apart. The bare board Bluetooth audio transmitters seem few and far between, along with being more expensive than the Dongles that are on offer on Ebay. So they are not an option at present.

Maybe Horus or some other TX from Futaba (wash your mouth out with soap for even thinking of that company) will incorporate Bluetooth for both audio and data transmission + programming. But that IMO is not the here or now, we are the cutting edge along with Jeti.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Actually, Spectrum just came out with DX9 that uses BT for transferring data (model setting) between Tx and trainer function.

I placed a bid on the ebay dongle but lost by 0.5 dollar. :(
Now, that is excuse "next step - when funds allow". with your soldering skill, you should be able to desolder the dongle audio jack from the board and hook the power/paring button to the Tx board easy. If it really does not work, you can put them back to the original status. :P

hmm, thinking about that, I already have a predrilled hole under the Sky9x Tx, (used for telemetry Txd/Rxd jack, no longer need it any more), I may use that hole to put the power/pairing button. ;)
Attachments
left plugged round hole was for the Txd/Rxd before, second round is the earphone jack.  the rectangular plugged hole was for the insertion/removal of micro SD before (still useable if needed), the right rectangular hole is for USB.
left plugged round hole was for the Txd/Rxd before, second round is the earphone jack. the rectangular plugged hole was for the insertion/removal of micro SD before (still useable if needed), the right rectangular hole is for USB.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Just wanted to share a quick update about the BLK-MD-SPK-B. You can in fact control it with AT commands (I had to connect at 115200bps). To get it working with my phone (Android Galaxy S3) I had to be paired with it but not connected with it. If you're just paired with it, it works as a headset but if you connect to it it becomes a wireless audio device.

I was able to use the AT commands from here: http://www.electrodragon.com/w/images/4 ... 0_List.pdf

To test it I sent the command AT#CW12345678 (replace the 12345678 with an actual phone number) which caused the phone to start dialling that number.

The other commands appear to be working too although it seems to lack the 2 important commands I need; changing the device's name and changing the baud rate. Some of the other doc's suggest that AT#MM<Name> would work but it returned ERR suggesting the command does not exist. I imagine there must be a way to change the Baud rate and the Name of the device although I fear this may have to be programmed into the device itself and not through AT commands.
rfrancisco

Post by rfrancisco »

but if you connect to it it becomes a wireless audio device
Hi Ric,

Can you tell me how I can do this?
When I try to connect the BT devive to my android phone (Samsung S2), they automaticaly be paired.

Thanks in advance.
Ric

Post by Ric »

For me it's under settings, bluetooth. You can view a list of paired devices and when you select it, it connects as an audio device.
rfrancisco

Post by rfrancisco »

Ric wrote:For me it's under settings, bluetooth. You can view a list of paired devices and when you select it, it connects as an audio device.
Could you provide me a few screenshots, please? S2 it's different perhaps.

Thanks.
gracarpes

Post by gracarpes »

Hello All.

Im so interested in program the BLK-MD-SPK-B device via AT commandsI know that the pins to comunicate are 19 TXD and 20 RXD, but i don't kanow ho to connect them to my computer. Is it possible to program by the phone device?
In other way, what I am trying to do is to change the name in which the devide appears in te phone. Anyone has done it?

Thanks for advance.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Flaps 30 wrote:I was surprised as well Kaos. The dongle was fine with my home stereo system, yet it required the modifications as outlined to work with the Megasound module.

Yes the next step (when funds allow it) will be to purchase another Bluetooth transmitter module and tear it apart. The bare board Bluetooth audio transmitters seem few and far between, along with being more expensive than the Dongles that are on offer on Ebay. So they are not an option at present.

Maybe Horus or some other TX from Futaba (wash your mouth out with soap for even thinking of that company) will incorporate Bluetooth for both audio and data transmission + programming. But that IMO is not the here or now, we are the cutting edge along with Jeti.
hello, i have purchased this module some time ago thinking i would use for data transfer.
Not sure if it suits your needs?
http://www.rctimer.com/product_764.html
very inexpensive at $7.99
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thanks for that LTMO.. No it will not do the job that is needed here, as that module is just for data and not voice/audio. So far I'm getting by with the external module as specified earlier.

IMO the problem with lots of transmitters on the flight line having audio on the speakers will become a nuisance and an annoyance, so much so that the use of earpieces/Bluetooth will become an essential addition to the flight box.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

My bad. ;-)
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
ADI8421

Post by ADI8421 »

I realize it's been a few years since anyone posted here, but thought I'd add my experiences re OVC3860 chip. Anyone searching the web for OVC3860 info will end up here eventually. Ric's experiences above helped me to solve my issues with this chip so I thought I might be able to add to his work.

What I've learnt:
AT commands DO work with this chip but there are some unexpected traps. I could only get the chip to work while connected, rather than just paired like Ric, so I'm not sure what to make of this difference.

1) You MUST use upper case characters with the AT commands eg. 'AT#CY Carriage return/ Line feed'.
Lower case won't get a response eg. 'at#cy' fails.
2) The commands must end with a Cr (carriage return) Hex 0D followed by a Lf (line feed) Hex 0A
3) After powering up or reset and then paired and connected to your phone, you have about 30 seconds before the chip goes to sleep at which time AT commands sent will get no further response.
Don't worry, there is a way to wake the chip up again. If you look at the OVC3860 pinouts you'll find pin 32 which is labelled 'ONKEY'.
Now this pin is available on the XS3868 module via a 2K ohm resistor, but the pad is not labelled on the module. As there are slightly different versions of board out there, I can't tell you which pad it is on the version of module refered to in this thread, because my module is a different version.
I can give you a schematic though. See below.
As you can see, there are two 2K resistors in series, with each end connecting to 2 different pins on the OVC3860 chip.
To wake the chip up all you do is bring the point labelled 'O' at the junction of the 2 resistors to a positive voltage of 1.8v to 3.3V for about 250ms or more. The chip will then wake up and you can send AT commands once again.
This 'O' connection pad also signals the Pin 42 GPIO-B4 I/O input also. For reasons unknown, they've wired both pins 32 and 42 together via their respective 2k ohm resistors. Pin 42 I/O is at highZ state so not a problem.
The two 2K ohm resistors are always side by side on the PCB. Connection Point 'O' by the way, is terminated in an external pad on my module and it looks like it could be the MFB pad on the module refered to in this thread. A multimeter continuity check will find it pretty quickly. Good luck !

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2K Ohm . . . . . . . 2K Ohm

Pin 32 ONKEY <------ /\/\/\/\------O------/\/\/\/\-------> Pin 42 GPIO B4
rthomas529

Post by rthomas529 »

I'm actually really glad you responded to this old thread. I am really new to working with modules, but this OVC3860 is a gem. Being my first project I decided to get an old headset and build it out to my liking. I decided on the OVC3860 after try 2 others, the OVC had the best sound and had the microphone input I need.

Anyways, I was wondering if you have any experience with BT Mics and if you could point me in the direction of a how-to or some basic examples of what is need to accomplish this. I already have a electret condenser microphone and attempted to hook it directly to the mic pins (via a breadboard) with no results. So i'm not sure if there is something I'm missing or if I have a bad connection.
infibit

Post by infibit »

I know this is an old thread but I am trying my luck here. I have been working with OVC3860 in the form of XS3868 module and BLK-MD-SPK-B. I want to connect the microphone to both of them. BLK-MD-SPK-B does not allow for microphone and I tried connected serial converter to it but it sends stray characters even at 9600 , 115200 bos baud rate.For XS3868 I used a dc-dc converter and was able to remove noise from the speaker but not the mic. There is lot of noise in the mic and I am unable to remove that even after using a dc-dc isolated power supply to XS3868. Could any one tell me how to get the mic working with these modules? After lot of frustrated trials I am posting this.

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”