Help with mixing Flaps and Divebrakes

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
dsa44

Help with mixing Flaps and Divebrakes

Post by dsa44 »

Using Taranis Plus with OpenTx 2.0.19 and Companion Tx.
Trying to mix my divebomber flaps on ch9 and divebrakes on ch10.
Using the LS (left slider), the center detent will indicate both flaps and divebrakes closed. Push LS away/down should deploy only flaps ch9 from closed to open. Return to detent will close them.
Pull LS towards me/up should deploy both flaps ch9 and divebrakes ch10 from closed to open. Return to detent will close them both.
I tried with a logical switch a>x and a<x, but I honestly just don't get it :?
Thanks for any help.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Help with mixing Flaps and Divebrakes

Post by MikeB »

Ch9: LS Weight(+200%) Offset(-100%) Function (|x|)
Ch10: LS Weight(+200%) Offset(-100%) Function (x>0)

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
dsa44

Post by dsa44 »

I don't understand how you do that voodoo that you do so well!! But that works perfect after I adjusted my endpoints and directions! I know for some it is childs play, but I really wish I could understand "WHY" it works like that and aid my future understanding. I have been reading, but would never have come up with that.
If you have a moment to elaborate, that would be swell, but don't sweat it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is mainly the use of the functions (|x| and x>0), which are, effectively, inbuilt, fixed curves.
Consider each control surface by itself, so just think about the flaps and get channel 9 correct, then think about the divebrakes and get channel 10 working.
Remember the inputs go from -100% to +100%. The function x>0 means only respond to values greater than 0. So, if you go to set up channel 10 (easy to try this on Companion), you put in this function first. You then see channel 10 stays at 0% (centre) while the slider is off to one side of the detent, and goes to +100% as you move the slider the other side. So you have the correct operation but not the correct endpoints. Add in the offset to move the centre down to -100%, and finally set the weight to get to +100%.
The function |x| is "mod x", where mod means the positive value corresponding to the numeric value of x. In effect if x is positive, then use x and if x is negative treat is as positive.
Channel 9 uses this, and then needs the same offset and weight as channel 10.

Both of these could also have been done using 3-point curves. For channel 9, you would use curve values of +100, -100 and +100, while for channel 10 use -100, -100, +100. Since the curves are shown as graphs, you might be better able to visualise what is happening better with them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “openTx”