Changing certain things upon boot up?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
jtroutt19

Changing certain things upon boot up?

Post by jtroutt19 »

So I am wondering if it would be possible to easily add a Throttle cut warning to the boot up? So basically instead of the throttle position changing it to a stick and having it display that the stick is not in the correct position which would be throttle cut on. Also on ersky9x there was an option to set throttle to mid stick so the transmitter would would display throttle warning is throttle stick was not at midstick. I am flying heli's so that is why I am asking.

jtroutt19

Re: Changing certain things upon boot up?

Post by jtroutt19 »

Really no one knows?

Ok how bout this. On my 9XR-Pro I was able to change the throttle warning to look at stick and give a warning if it was not midstick instead of all the way down. Is there a way to do this as well?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What radio do you have??
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Taranis X9D Plus
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, then you need someone from the openTX team to answer that question. I really don't know.
As you know, with Ersky9x that is possible.

João
EDIT: For your information Ersky9x also run on the Taranis radio.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

jtroutt19 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 pmReally no one knows? Ok how bout this.
On my 9XR-Pro I was able to change the throttle warning to look at stick and give a warning if it was not mid-stick instead of all the way down.
Is there a way to do this as well?
Hi jtroutt19,
You have a 9XR-Pro (erSky9x on 9XR-Pro), you may want to consider like João suggest, using erSky9x on Taranis
as well for it will help you a lot when programming your radios.
See here: (http://www.er9x.com/) and for erSky9x test versions: (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

I was hoping to stay with OPEN-TX. I had a problem with the 9xr-pro with random signal drops and it caused a couple of crashes with my models. They started after I switched to ErSKY9X
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Normally signal drops has nothing to do with the radio itself. It has to do with the RF module.. The radio does not transmit anything..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

jtroutt19 wrote:I was hoping to stay with OPEN-TX. I had a problem with the 9xr-pro with random signal drops and it caused a couple of crashes with my models. They started after I switched to ErSKY9X
Highly unlikely. There is no difference between ERSky9x and OpenTX when it comes to the radio link to the plane. Unless there is some hardware issue like a bad power connection, it's all it the RF module you use to communicate and the receiver you use in the model.

A couple of instances of loss of signal means you should be looking at things like antennas on the transmitter and receiver, whether the radio is properly installed in the model, and whether the receiver is giving proper range when tested on the ground.

Choose your firmware on the basis of its features, flexibility, ease of programming, etc., and don't blame it for something totally unrelated.
bob195558

Re: Changing certain things upon boot up? (RSSI Signal dropping)

Post by bob195558 »

There are many factors that do and can cause signal loss and/or low signal, as it is a science in it self.
We can not visually see where (how far) the signal going.
I use FrSky transmitter XJT module, which can be change into a DJT module too.
I use X-series and D-series receivers with the RSSI telemetry (signal strength) that the receiver
is receiving and is sent back to the XJT module.
This will help you to understand one part of what can cause some difficulties;
The Fresnel Zone Explained: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCVd3QGQhKU&t=3s).
Using good antennas is a big help too.
Here is some antenna and low RSSI info: (viewtopic.php?f=96&t=8563&p=112107&hili ... on#p112107)
and (viewtopic.php?f=96&t=4393&hilit=RSSI%2C ... ignal+loss).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9XR-PRO ships with a version of ersky9x already installed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I didnt know if it was the radio or the module or my RX or my antenna placement, so I just went all new. Main reason I got the taranis to be honest other than the fact that I wanted one.

Here is what happened as short as possible.

So after I got my 9XR-Pro I set up my big camera drone. And was installing new Flight controller as well at the time PixHawk. I use X6R RX's in all my models. I also got an XJT module to upgrade from my DJT with the 9xr-pro. My TX progression went like this 9X to 9XR-Pro to Taranis X9D plus.

So during the setup and calibration of everything I had two instances where I would turn on the TX and then turn on my drone and no connection. I had one instance where it disconnected while I was setting up telemetry and wouldnt reconnect till I power cycled the 9xr-pro. I blamed it on proximity of the radio to the RX. So time came to get the drone in the air and get an autotune done. Got it up and started doing the auto tune. Everything was going great about 5 minutes into it I went to correct a drift and I had no control. I didnt get a signal lost alarm or nothing. Drone ended up hitting a neighbors house. Antenna's on the drone where 90° apart and pointed in different directions. I got the same antenna setup on my mini quad as well.

So after that incident I got really leery about flying my large drone. I mean it has 15inch props on it. and cost me alot to build didnt want to cause any unnecessary harm. I continued to fly my little drone with out even a hiccup. But decided to purchase the Taranis anyway. After I got the taranis I robbed the X6R from my large drone and put it on my Trex 450L. I have not had one issue out of it, yet. Also if I ever disconnect power from the RX I immediately get a warning with the taranis.

It was a very strange issue and one that I have never had happen to me in all my years of flying. I am very particular about signal quality. I do range checks every flying session. I dont care if I fly one day and the model sits in one place till the very next day. I still do a range check. I did a range check on the large quad and no issues, but still experienced the disconnect. The one thing that I started questioning is maybe I experienced a brown out. On that particular model the power to all the electronics is provided by one sensor/bec module. I need to get some volt sensors for my RX and I want a redundancy bus before I put her back in the air again.

Ok so now that all that is said, sorry about the book, I really didnt know that the 9xr ran ersky9x.....I figured it ran OpenTX just like the taranis. I know the splash screens are different but I really dont pay attention to the splash screens. So what is the differences between them. Does ERSKY9X support LUA scripting like openTX does?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, not at the moment. To be honest, I don't feel the need for LUA in Ersky9x.The radio does all I need without the need for that.. And I need a lot. :) But that is me ;)
I do all sorts of strange programming..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The pins in the module bay on the 9XR-PRO are shorter than is specified (by JR) for a JR type module. It is possible you might have an intermittent connection to the module.

LUA has been requested for ersky9x. I'm interested to know for what you need it. There have been a number of request for a LUA script to do something that is already possible without LUA.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

It's not that I need it but I've seen some really interesting things done with like flightdeck for example and would love to have the ability if every needed. You know the whole better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it thing.

Is there an easy way to import my models over to ersky9x or would I have to set everything up from scratch? Oh and I would have to redo my voice pack for it as well wouldnt i?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's not clear what you actually want, for me throttle cut is on a switch so switch warnings would take care of that.

On OpenTX you can set a warning for custom positions of the auxiliary pots but the throttle stick warning is currently bottom only.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No there is no current method of moving models between openTx and ersky9x.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “openTx”