Taranis telemetry with dragonlink v3 and pixhawk

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
ob1

Taranis telemetry with dragonlink v3 and pixhawk

Post by ob1 »

Hello. I'm new to this forum but based on my need it was recommended that I start here first. I've had a taranis plus for around a year....bought in mid 2015.... and love it. I have never tried any opentx upgrades and he version that came with the tx is still there and the level is "opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9.2. EEPR 216.
I use a dragonlink v2 external uhf tx module and microrx with pixhawk AP. I recently purchased the new dragonlink v3 external uhf tx module primarily based on its capability of passing mavlink telemetry data from pixhawk to DL microrx to DL tx and out its serial port (which has converted it to "frisky s. port" format) and into the telemetry pin on back of taranis.
I understand all of the physical and software settings to do this and have followed all of the recommended steps except for one.
The instructions say to set "telemetry type" on the taranis menu to "frsky s. port" which I did, then it says to select "discover new sensors" in that same menu somewhere down below the RSSI section. However I can't seem to find "discover new sensors ANYWHERE. What am I overlooking and/or do I have to upgrade my taranis firmware from the factory 2.0.9.2 version to something higher before I can access the taranis telemetry settings necessary to work with dragonlink v3 tx?
Btw I tried searching for this info here but did not find any matches.
Thx in advance for your kind assistance.
Regards
ob1

Kilrah

Re: Taranis telemetry with dragonlink v3 and pixhawk

Post by Kilrah »

"Discover sensors" is required only for firmware versions >= 2.1.

No need to upgrade, your setup should work as is without further action.
ob1

Post by ob1 »

Thank you Kilrah for the quick response. If I stay at my current 2.0x taranis firmware level, will I need to somehow manually define each of the virtual "sensor" fields that are being passed into taranis from DL v3 tx? If not, how will they get displayed?Regards
ob1
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It depends on what sensors it reports, I know nothing about this module. Anything it reports that uses the existing FrSky IDs would work, anything else if any would need 2.1.

Return to “openTx”