Documentation for OpenTX 2.2 Taranis and Horus

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Documentation for OpenTX 2.1 and Taranis

Post by MikeB »

From the X6R manual:
"With external analog telemetry port(AD1),
When pins of A1 and X (Middle Pin) are connected by the jumper, A1 will change from External Analog Telemetry Port to
Internal Built-in battery voltage sensor."

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
With the X6R, External Analog Telemetry Port (AD1), is the center pin (X) an A2 pin ?
As Aloft Hobbies is calling it (a traditional A2 port on the bottom).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As I understand it, the three pins are GND, RxVoltage and A1 input. So the link connects the RxVoltage to the A1 input.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Re x6r

Ok, so only one analog port, but it can be configured to read internal or external sources. This would allow the use of the voltage divider sensor, giving up the Rx voltage monitoring?
Then 2.1 FW will do only a discovery of what seems to be A1 what ever it's input is, but never any A2 as I'm used to in 2.0?
This would hold true then for any X receiver showing only a A1 option?
So will an A2 show up in 2.1 if a D receiver is selected? So you also do a discovery for the D receiver and sensors?

I admit loading 2.1 will answer my questions and I'm heading that way, but for the sake of discussion now, I'm sure these can be answered by current users.
I've been holding off waiting for 2.2 since I own a S6R and it may change thing again?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

OpenTX 2.1 telemetry is quite different to 2.0. You have to discover all sensors, no matter which receiver.

However, as this has nothing to do with the documentation, please open up a new topic on the telemetry.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

MikeB wrote:As I understand it, the three pins are GND, RxVoltage and A1 input.
So the link connects the RxVoltage to the A1 input.
Hi Mike,
So then, when Aloft Hobbies is saying (a traditional A2 port), are meaning the A1 input pin, can be
used to monitor the model battery voltage and/or traditional D-Series telemetry sensors ? :?:

X6R external analog telemetry port A1_G (AD1) pin layout: A1 analog telemetry input / (X) 5V internal RxVoltage output / GND.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just an A1 port. The centre pin appears to be the Rx voltage divided by 4, so the A1 pin is the raw analog input for 0-3.3V and does need an external divider to provide the correct voltage range.
The X6R does not support traditional 'D' series sensors.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcdiy

Post by rcdiy »

Do you plan to start a new document and thread for 2.2?
(A lot of work! Thanks again.)
RCdiy.ca
Stay Safe & Have Fun
OpenTX Manual http://rcdiy.ca
Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

First I've got another set of How To's to do, then once 2.2 is finished and the Companion is fully working, I'll rework the docs completely for the Horus.

I might republish the original docs with any corrections and updates for the Taranis using 2.2, although at the moment, it seems that 2.2 is very similar to 2.1 for the Taranis, and extras such as the LUA for the S6R receiver can be catered for using a How To.
idoNL

Post by idoNL »

looking forward to the new how to's. I just finished reading all the guides cover2cover. Great stuff explaining every aspect programming the taranis with opentx.

I ordered my taranis some time ago, but havent really used it yet, as my quad was still using a Futaba RX and a Futaba TX (obviously), but I sold my last Futaba TX tonight, so now I have to use my Taranis if I want to fly my quad :twisted:

My challenge now is, where do I start and what are acceptable/common settings. I am going to speed re-read the guide hoping to find the answers.

I dont know if you are open to feedback, but there were 2 things I felt that could be improved
- what are the default values? eg in Reference section 2, page 5, general settings, you do list al the available values, but it would help me if I knew what the default value is.
- Also I don't really know what effect a certain value has, or in what case I need to set a certain value (the why). Eg, setting Low battery warning, what does it do if I enable it? Why could it be handy? I can understand this is not the focus of your document.

Because there is more then 1 way to do things within openTX, the how to guides really help, I need guidance, someone showing me some best practices. So thanks for those! :)

Another thing I was thinking about the other day, I would rather know how to achieve a certain functionality then knowing about all the separate settings that are needed to achieve this functionality. As a new comer all the settings are pretty overwhelming and I don't know how to use them in combination yet. Hopefully this will improve as I learn more about openTX :)
rcdiy

Post by rcdiy »

Checkout painless360 on you tube. Look at his play lists.
RCdiy.ca
Stay Safe & Have Fun
idoNL

Post by idoNL »

rcdiy wrote:Checkout painless360 on you tube. Look at his play lists.
I know his channel well, but thanks for the tip, indeed good vids on the taranis
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

idoNL wrote:
I dont know if you are open to feedback, but there were 2 things I felt that could be improved
- what are the default values? eg in Reference section 2, page 5, general settings, you do list al the available values, but it would help me if I knew what the default value is.

Most of the settings here are purely down to personal preference such as the volume and contrast. Some are down to country specifics e.g. does one want imperial or metric units? Basically, experiment with them until you are happy with the settings.

- Also I don't really know what effect a certain value has, or in what case I need to set a certain value (the why). Eg, setting Low battery warning, what does it do if I enable it? Why could it be handy? I can understand this is not the focus of your document.

There are so many elements to OpenTX and I had to take a certain position when writing the document. Going into great detail about each facet would have made the document incredibly long and very tedious for anyone past the immediate beginner stage. I would have thought it quite obvious why one would want a warning for a low transmitter battery.

Because there is more then 1 way to do things within openTX, the how to guides really help, I need guidance, someone showing me some best practices. So thanks for those! :)

Another thing I was thinking about the other day, I would rather know how to achieve a certain functionality then knowing about all the separate settings that are needed to achieve this functionality. As a new comer all the settings are pretty overwhelming and I don't know how to use them in combination yet. Hopefully this will improve as I learn more about openTX :)

This is not the way OpenTX works and where it is different from most transmitters. There is no simple option, except perhaps through the Wizard, to select a certain function. However, this is its strength because it allows considerable flexibility where other systems fall short. The downside is that there is a steep initial learning curve, the upside is that you have a tremendously capable system that can be adapted to many different models and situations.
idoNL

Post by idoNL »

Thanks for the insightful reply, I can understand that the document is written with a certain thought behind it. I guess I still have to discover all the ways in opentx and discover what "my" way is.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

I think you will find, like most of us, you program one or two simple models and understand what is going on, then add a few more models and refinements. After a time, as confidence grows you begin to develop your own preferred setups and ways of doing things. Then you often have to go back to the earlier models and tidy them up. For instance we all find our own preferred switches to use for particular functions. Personally, as a mode 2 flyer, I always use two of the left side switches for aileron and elevator rates, and I always use a sound file to state each switch position.

Overall it adds a certain extra facet to the hobby, just as you physically tweak models to improve performance or handling, so you get to tweak the OpenTX settings to improve the transmitter side of things.

Take your time with it and above all enjoy!
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Every time I come back and look at this documentation, I think how good it is and how much work it was to produce.

Thank you again thebriars0

Dean
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
abenn

Post by abenn »

Just registered with this forum to thank you for this thread. I've already set up half a dozen models -- fixed wing and quad -- on my Taranis but couldn't get my head around the settings for my CCPM heli. Downloading and printing "How to Set Up a CCPM Helicopter " (p23 to p32 of the "How to" manual) seems to have enabled me to do the job. Lots of tweaking to do for my particular model, but at least I've got the basic template, and all servos etc. move in the right directions :)
rcdiy

There is a new 2.2 thread

Post by rcdiy »

RCdiy.ca
Stay Safe & Have Fun
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

OpenTX 2.2 Documentation has now be placed on line. See below this topic.
BobLane

Post by BobLane »

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... w-diagrams
Thank You to everyone involved in creating and updating these documents - they look great.!
BobLane

Post by BobLane »

Now that I have used these documents I am even more impressed - very well done.

While working on my project I discovered a newer way to create sound files that is far easier than the previously suggested methods. www.balabolka.com - free download and use. Simply type your text, FILE "Save Sound File" using the stock WAV format. Suggest saving it to the SOUNDS folder of your Companion installation. Make sure to SYNC the SD card next time your transmitter is connected. I used this on Windows 10, OpenTX released July 28, 2018 version 2.2.2. and Companion - Taranis X9D- radio.
LapinFou

Post by LapinFou »

BobLane wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 pm https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... w-diagrams
Thank You to everyone involved in creating and updating these documents - they look great.!
Thanks!! :mrgreen:
BobLane wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 pm Now that I have used these documents I am even more impressed - very well done.

While working on my project I discovered a newer way to create sound files that is far easier than the previously suggested methods. www.balabolka.com - free download and use. Simply type your text, FILE "Save Sound File" using the stock WAV format. Suggest saving it to the SOUNDS folder of your Companion installation. Make sure to SYNC the SD card next time your transmitter is connected. I used this on Windows 10, OpenTX released July 28, 2018 version 2.2.2. and Companion - Taranis X9D- radio.
To generate sound file, I'm using this great tool → << TTSAutomate >>
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

BobLane wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 pm Now that I have used these documents I am even more impressed - very well done.

The much newer 2.2 documentation (see below in this topic) has updated this section to use TTSAutomate.
rcyoda

Re: Documentation for OpenTX 2.2 Taranis and Horus

Post by rcyoda »

I believe that PDF for section 5 in the very first post has broken link, or actually not broken, but it opens Howto Part 1.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

Thank you rcyoda, it was broken. Correct version now uploaded.
micka

Post by micka »

hi
just going through the horus 10s express with opentx on
i can seem to find model select i.e glider plane helicopter, and it seems to defer to helicopter
of am i looking for something that isn’t there ??
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OpenTX does not do "model types". When you create a new model you have a wizard that can help you setting basic stuff up, but it's just adding default mixes that you can change or set up yourself.
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

X10 has Trim 5 and 6 too
trim.JPG
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

Ooops! So it does. Thank you.
JiriRyba

Re: Documentation for DSM2/DMSX 2,4 GHz

Post by JiriRyba »

Hello,

I have made transmitter by my self. Till now I have used FRSky modul with telemtry, where the documantation was available. Now I would like to have transmitter also for the Spectrum receivers based on DSM2 or DSMx.
I have got the DSM2/DMSX 2,4 GHz transmitter module, but I did not find yet any documentation concerning the conector, pin assignment, protocols and telemetry address assignment.
Does anybody have such documentation or is it somewhere available. I see there is OpenTX transmitter, so the documentation for protocals should be also public.

Best Regards
Jiri

Return to “openTx”