OpenTX 2.1 released!

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Kilrah

OpenTX 2.1 released!

Post by Kilrah »

Sooo.. there we go, OpenTX 2.1.0 has finally been released. It brings a ton of new things listed here and in OpenTX Companion's help menu.

A few hints to get you going:
  1. Please back up your models and settings before upgrading so that you can go back to 2.0 should you not like 2.1 or find issues that make it unsuitable for you. Use the "backup radio to file" companion feature for this to have an exact copy of what was on your radio.
  2. As a new major release a new data format has been put in place, existing models and settings will be upgraded keeping things compatible as much as possible, but not everything can be converted. Only OpenTX 2.0 settings can be upgraded by the radio, if you currently run an even older firmware version you have to either go through 2.0 first before flashing 2.1, or do the conversion within companion. It is absolutely necessary to go through all your models after the upgrade, check they are operating properly and fix the potential issues before flying or applying motor power.
  3. Coming from 2.0 you'll notably lose EVERY telemetry-related setting, that will need to be reconfigured from scratch. Sensor configuration, alarms, custom telemetry screens, everything.
  4. This is a .0 release. A lot of testing has been done by developers and beta testers, but inevitably some issues only pop up with large scale use and particular use cases. Issues that have been found and are being worked on for 2.1.1 can be found here. If you see something that would affect you in that list hold off for the next release, if you're not very adverturous hold off for a few releases until things are well ironed out.
  5. An existing issue with 2.1.0 affects model conversion (receiver number is lost for models using a DIY DSM module), you'll have to reenter them manually, or either wait until 2.1.1 is out and fixes it to convert your models or reload your 2.0 backup then to re-run the "fixed" conversion (that would of course mean losing all changes you'd have made on 2.1 since).
  6. Voice packs have changed. You need to download and copy the new 2.1 voice packs to your radio's SD card to have correct voice announcements. Changes are mostly on telemetry units, so if you hear wrong units your problem is likely there.
  7. 2.0 lua telemetry scrips will not work anymore, they need to be updated (see here and the next 2 posts for some info). They are also now selected differently, the modelname\telemX.lua method is obsolete, it is replaced by setting the type of a telemetry screen to Script and choosing the appropriate script from those placed in the SCRIPTS\TELEMETRY folder of the SD card.
  8. There is no 2.1-specific documentation as of now besides this thread, the telemetry system preview thread, and the 2.1 thread on RCGroups where users of the beta versions have been gathering some info.
You can get it from the downloads section of http://www.open-tx.org.
Due to the major differences and to avoid confusing users major releases like this are not offered as an "upgrade" anymore, they are a separate package that you install separately from previous versions. You can thus install and use Companion 2.0 and 2.1 simultaneously on your PC, and for example manage a radio on 2.0 and another on 2.1 without issues. 2.0 will stay available and even be maintained for a while (bug fixes only) for users who don't want to make the jump but prefer to enjoy a stable version.

I'll try to come back and add things here when I think of something useful, don't hesitate to add yours below.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Kilrah on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LutzB

Re: OpenTX 2.1 released!

Post by LutzB »

When will the linux packages be released? The links on the download page are still broken.

A big THANK YOU to all the developers, tester and other people contributing to opentx! This is a great piece of software.
ufoDziner

Post by ufoDziner »

I can't seem to find the voice packs you speak of. Can you tell me where I can find a link to them? Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As usual in companion File -> Downloads -> Voice.

Or there's a direct link on open-tx.org on the Links page.
LutzB

Post by LutzB »

I checked again a few minutes ago and the linux installers are online. Thank you very much! You saved my weekend. :mrgreen:

After updating companion I wanted to download the new voice pack in german, but there is no selection "de" in the download dialogue. I found the download on the server, but I think this should be corrected in companion.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hah, you were quicker to find them than me to find again where the question was asked so I could answer it, hard to follow 2 forums and many threads... Yep just built and uploaded.

Thanks for the missing DE voice report, it's fixed for next release.
ufoDziner

Post by ufoDziner »

Kilrah wrote:As usual in companion File -> Downloads -> Voice.

Or there's a direct link on open-tx.org on the Links page.
Thanks for the info. I checked the downloads page since it was advised to download them, I expected to see the info there. Ididn't check the links page, as I thought they would be external links. Thanks again!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I agree, I actually found it strange myself when I checked before answering you. They're now moved to where they should be :)

Nightly builds are still on the Links page - might be "safer" for non-tech users.
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

Those of you using Linux Companion installer, does the radio simulator inside Companion 2.1 work? I believe it doesn't.
projectkk2glider@github
LutzB

Post by LutzB »

dinamich wrote:Those of you using Linux Companion installer, does the radio simulator inside Companion 2.1 work? I believe it doesn't.
You are right. This has already been reported and an issue is created.

I found another bug in companion:
If you have loaded an eeprom and go to the tx settings there are duplicate tabs for settings and trainer port. On some tabs companion in crashing. Also the values on the first settings tab don't have any relation to the values in the radio.
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

LutzB wrote: I found another bug in companion:
If you have loaded an eeprom and go to the tx settings there are duplicate tabs for settings and trainer port. On some tabs companion in crashing. Also the values on the first settings tab don't have any relation to the values in the radio.
This is a result of an improper build process that created DEB installation file. It will be fixed with above problem in 2.1.1
projectkk2glider@github
joeb

Post by joeb »

Has speaker been updated too for us that create our own files with custom pro sapi voices?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not that I know of.
yrral3215

Post by yrral3215 »

Is there a link to an explanation of what the fields on the telemetry pages mean?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

For now nothing more than the preview which should already give you an idea and let you figure out the rest.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6887
offers

Post by offers »

Just make the move to the 2.1, almost with no issues.
Looks very professional!
Thanks all.

Is there a way to divide a telemetry value with a constant?
I like to divide the total voltage (detected by analog A1) with the amount of cells (4), to get single cell value
Something like:
Cell - calculated - A1 - multiply - 0.25

-- עופר --
Helle

Post by Helle »

Dont use simple divide or mulitply the cells pack
You can get real single cells direct , use calculated-funktion

Because 1 cell could be very bad and you don´t notice it.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

offers wrote: I like to divide the total voltage (detected by analog A1) with the amount of cells (4), to get single cell value
What's the point of that?

That "cell value" would be completely meaningless.

But no, there's no way to divide right now.
offers

Post by offers »

I am running different planes with different batteries
I like to prepare for landing when the cell bellow 3.6v
I don't remember during flight the following
3cells = 10.8
4cells = 14.4
6 cells = 21.6

Any option to implement this except lua?

-- עופר --
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Why remember it during flight? Just set an alarm.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Reading the manual would probably help ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
offers

Post by offers »

Of course there is an alarm, but when the alarm is on, the openTx start calling the voltage every 5sec, here is the point of the issue, the calling of 14.2 14 13.6 does mot as clear as 3.6v 3.3v

On my F3A plane, i use the X8R + SMART PORT LIPO VOLTAGE SENSOR

So the calling of the lowest cell (in the range of 3.3-4.2v)
I found that i can play with the range to do the division, but then the consumption power show irrelevant values.

Is it possible to add this in future versions?

-- עופר --
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Could 2.1 Companions SD Synchronize be used just as easily on 2.017 Tx with OpenTX 2.0,17 given that the SD path was set correctly?
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

offers wrote: I found that i can play with the range to do the division, but then the consumption power show irrelevant values.
There will be a way to create a separate sensor on which you can play with range without affecting the rest in 2.1.1.
There still need to be changes on range/offset and they should make such things easier.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

rdeanchurch wrote:Could 2.1 Companions SD Synchronize be used just as easily on 2.017 Tx with OpenTX 2.0,17 given that the SD path was set correctly?
I don't see anything against it, should be fine.
offers

Post by offers »

Kilrah wrote: There will be a way to create a separate sensor on which you can play with range without affecting the rest in 2.1.1.
There still need to be changes on range/offset and they should make such things easier.
It could be nice if we can define more that one telemetry line for each sensor.
Is there a technical limitation to do that?

offer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It was supposed to already be possible in 2.0 but someone removed the capability by mistake, only the first sensor would be updated. It has now been put back for 2.1.

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk
rdeanchurch

Deleted

Post by rdeanchurch »

Brain Freeze! I lost the link to 2.1.1 nightly builds and can't get search to find it.

Found it...Ignore this post.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

offers wrote: Is there a way to divide a telemetry value with a constant?
I like to divide the total voltage (detected by analog A1) with the amount of cells (4), to get single cell value
Something like:
Cell - calculated - A1 - multiply - 0.25

-- עופר --
I also think in terms of a per cell average when flying.

But, more importantly for me, is RPM ÷ gear ratio = rotor speed.

Being able to alter a telemetry value should be a basic function? In 2.0 we tried to use Lua to pass a head speed back to the voice system. If we could just alter a telemetry value as it comes in it would solve that.

Besides, opentx is flexible right? If I want to hear the total voltage ÷ 4 (or what ever cell count) who's to say that is wrong? Opentx = freedom
cheers!!
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.

Return to “openTx”