OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
NeronZee

Re: OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

Post by NeronZee »

As per my experience with these things it would be important to have a real flexible handling of IDs and sensor channel names.
And the Duplex EX, every sensor tells the transmitter a sensor name / sensor serial number of its own choice.
Sending the real date, it describes then for every sensor channel: ID of sensor channel and the name of sensor channel, sent with low prio
Also i want to know that do you think this "flexible handling" can be part of the concept?

https://www.7pcb.com
Last edited by NeronZee on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There have already been posts about that, and yes the Jeti parser would simply have to read those names and set the "internal" names accordingly.
riloum

Post by riloum »

I can't seem to configure the individual cell telemetries. I have OpenTX v2.1.6 installed and Cells with the total voltage was automatically detected with ID 0x0300 - 2. I have tried creating manually Cell1 to Cell4 with ID 0x0301 to 0x0304 but I got nothing.
How can I configure the individual cells telemetry? Should it have been detected automatically?

I have an X8R with the FrSky Smart LiPo Voltage Sensor.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Create a sensor, type Calculated, forumla Cells, select your Cell sensor as source, and the index of the cell you want. No IDs to play with.
riloum

Post by riloum »

Thanks Kirah, you're a lifesaver!

I managed to set it up.
The Min function as an Index of the Cell didn't work.
I had to implement a Calculated formula, formula Min and then specifying Cel1 through to Cel4 that I had created. Is this the correct way?

Is there a manual or post where these calculated formulas are explained?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

riloum wrote:I had to implement a Calculated formula, formula Min and then specifying Cel1 through to Cel4 that I had created. Is this the correct way?

No. The first post of this thread has an example.
riloum

Post by riloum »

Kilrah wrote:
riloum wrote:I had to implement a Calculated formula, formula Min and then specifying Cel1 through to Cel4 that I had created. Is this the correct way?

No. The first post of this thread has an example.
My bad. I didn't see the last two pictures and then just searched for "Cell" throughout the thread.

Thanks Kirah!
jonathanyeo

MLINK and Telemetry

Post by jonathanyeo »

With the latest 2.1 Telemetry that suppose to allow 3rd party easier integration.
Could you point me to how it can be possible on taranis original hardware, using the Multiplex MLINK module to be able to also use the telemetry sensor from multiplex that interface to multiplex receiver ?

Alternatively to a JR telemetry module and setup.
Or even port OPENTX to a JR XG8 hardware platform.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

viewtopic.php?t=7275#p99621

You'd need to figure out what the interface requirements of MLINK are, add an option to select MLINK as a telemetry type which initializes the port that must be used correctly, then write a parser to decode MLINK protocol and create/fill the OpenTX "virtual sensors" with the data.
Bear

Post by Bear »

I was wonder if anyone can see any wrong settings in my short video of my Taranis setup. I'm wanting my quad's battery pack to be read by the Taranis (Cels) but it's not saying the same as what 'Cels' is showing on the Telemetry page. If anyone has any suggestions or see anything I have set wrong, please let me know.

https://youtu.be/TCkuqbA9-9E

Thanks guys.
Daedalus66

OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

Post by Daedalus66 »

Are you sure you installed sound files for v2.1? The 2.0 files don't work correctly in 2.1.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Bingo! That was it! I did have the 2.1 sounds in the Taranis but I forgot to delete the old 2.0 sounds. I got rid of the 2.0 sounds and it works the way it's supposed to now. Thanks a bunch!
qczek

Post by qczek »

Hi,
Is it possible to add SWR to telemetry screen for non telemetry receivers like l9r?
Reagards
Krzysiek
ntlwings

Taranis Plus with X4R 4 port sensor discovery

Post by ntlwings »

Hi,
Running opentx 2.1.6. Tx is discovering SWR, RSSI and RxBt sensors and unexpectantly an A2 sensor since it is a bare Rx. The Rx is only connected to the flight battery via ESC servo connector. The A2 is even displaying a value that curiously looks like a battery voltage and changes. But from my understanding that should not be possible.
So is my understanding incorrect, A2 is not flight battery or is there a bug in Rx firmware, Tx or OpenTX.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Neil
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Receivers that have an A2 connection will always send a value for it, if nothing is connected to it it will just be floating/random. So... what receiver?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

qczek wrote:Is it possible to add SWR to telemetry screen for non telemetry receivers like l9r?
I believe the RF module does not send an SWR value if no telemetry is received from the receiver.

You can try to add the SWR sensor manually to confirm.
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

Kilrah wrote:Receivers that have an A2 connection will always send a value for it, if nothing is connected to it it will just be floating/random. So... what receiver?
FrSky X4R conventional 4 channel Rx ie not the SBUS model. The specs only state RSSI and PWM voltage as outputs. I have a X8R and A2 is not detected by Rx which is correct as per its specs.
Regards
Neil
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

ntlwings wrote:
Kilrah wrote:Receivers that have an A2 connection will always send a value for it, if nothing is connected to it it will just be floating/random. So... what receiver?
FrSky X4R conventional 4 channel Rx ie not the SBUS model. The specs only state RSSI and PWM voltage as outputs. I have a X8R and A2 is not detected by Rx which is correct as per its specs.
Regards
Neil
XR4.png
AIN is the connection for the analog-input that transmits A2. It is labeled AD2 on the RX. You need a voltage divider, if you want to measure voltages above 3,3V (like FBVS-01).
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

Hi Carbo
Thanks but I do not want to receive the battery voltage thus have no additional sport sensor. Therefore the Tx should only be able to discover the two Rx standard outputs.
Regards
Neil
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's exactly what it does.
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

Kilrah wrote:That's exactly what it does.
If you mean the X4 should only detect two outputs as per specs then why is my Tx detecting three? Or as your previous post three is the norm ie two plus a random value A2?
As I stated my X8R only detects two as it should so why the detection difference when they are of the same Rx series?
Regards
Neil
quadfather

Post by quadfather »

The X4R has an analogue ports and the X8R doesn't. The TX doesn't know if you plug something into AIN (A2) on the RX or not, it simply displays a value based on what the RX sends to it. Since there is no switch mechanism on the RX for the analogue port it always sends "something", this is what Kilrah meant by "floating". It's not an OpenTX issue but a FrSky design feature. You can always delete A2 from your telemetry screen.
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

Thanks for the clarification quadfather. I'll just not display on any telemetry screen. No point deleting as will come back if I rediscover sensors under 2.1 telemetry method.
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

Also thanks Kilrah for your responses and apologies for my misunderstanding
fishman

Post by fishman »

Hi all

I needed to redo telemetry settings on taranis. So I set my voltmeter that it shows all cells, cells min, cells max, and total voltage. I set value so that informs me if voltage drops below 3,6V for lowest cell or 3,6V*n of cells for total voltage. Switch is set so if I turn it on it says voltage of each cell and total voltage but here is problem cause Tarranis only speaks whole numbers so I says 3 volts and lets say 12volts.If voltage drops below 3,6V*n of cells Taranis gives me varning. Is there any other option to set and can someone tell me if its possible to get readings of decimal values ???

Thanks !!!
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

I have a FrSky Vario NP sensor with Sport connection to XR8 with Taranis X9D running OpenTX 2.1.7 that does not zeroise. All sensors were auto discovered and Vario has Auto Offset checked which is my understanding for how to adjust for the atmospheric variations at the time.
I've run telemetry logging and it appears the sensor takes a few seconds to stabilse (well at least oscilate with approx a meter swing) at around negative 3-4 meters after connecting the battery to the model. Note powered on the Tx first as is standard practice.
I did note that if I powered the Tx off and on without disconnecting the model battery the logs reset the zero point fluctuating around zero which is what I am after.
Should I be doing someting different at power up to zeroise or do I have another problem eg dud sensor.
Thanks in advance for advice.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just do a telemetry reset from the home screen's Enter menu, no need to cycle power.
ntlwings

Post by ntlwings »

Thanks Kilrah. I've added a Special Function to reset linked to arming the motor. In that way I do not have to remember the step.
bgbrik

Post by bgbrik »

Since updating OpenTx Companion to 2.1.7 I have an issue with telemetry of an external voltage on the XR4 Rx.

With a XR8 Rx and an OpenSource sensor in the SPort my Taranis auto recognises the telemetry as Vfas and all works fine with both the Taranis and simulations with Companion

But with the XR4 Rx using the A2 port to detect external voltage there is something a bit odd. My Taranis auto recognises the telemetry as Vfas (why not A2?) and all works fine within the Taranis, but the OpenTx telemetry simulator thinks the channel is A2, even though the Logic Switch, Telemetry Tabs, etc see it as Vfas.

The result of this is that you cannot simulate an external voltage on an application downloaded from a Taranis/XR4 system.

Or am I missing something?
bgbrik

Post by bgbrik »

Apologises, I think I have confused myself by copying models in Companion. I need a little more time (which I don't have for a few days) but I believe all is well. Sorry if anyone started to think about this.

Return to “openTx”