OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
mpjf01

Re: OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

Post by mpjf01 »

Just the normal USB connect tune, then the TARANIS drive and the SD card drive are connected. All as it has been in the past.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK then I have no idea. You can look in the device manager if / what comes up when you plug in with power off, but that's the last step I can think of, and again any issue there would be either hardware or driver-related. There's no way it can have anything to do with OpenTX 2.1.
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy Kirah,

SWR Problem at TaranisPlus B01 and Taranis A01

I have 2 Taranis
Taranis Version A01 with V2.015, there is SWR ok ( A01 first Batch from 2013)
TaranisPlus Version B01 with 2.099, there is NO SWR ( B01 from Nov 2014)

at Taranis Plus B01 with V.2099, internal XJT off, with external XJT-Modul there is NO SWR
at Taranis A01 with V2.015, internal XJT off, with the same external XJT-Modul, SWR is ok

I asked at Frsky-Forum, answer is at the B01 the SWR must be ok

How can I test and check more about SWR

V2.099 ist from End of Feb 2015
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Helle wrote:V2.099 ist from End of Feb 2015
Use the latest nightly build, troubleshooting with an outdated build would be nothing but a waste of time. No idea how broken or incomplete a nightly from February could have been.

Also try your T+ with 2.0.15 and your T with the nightly and see in which cases you have SWR.
Helle

Post by Helle »

thanks, will do

mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Kilrah wrote:OK then I have no idea. You can look in the device manager if / what comes up when you plug in with power off, but that's the last step I can think of, and again any issue there would be either hardware or driver-related. There's no way it can have anything to do with OpenTX 2.1.
I see this screen with the Tx off and plugged into the USB port. The entry "STM device in DFU Mode" appears when Taranis is plugged in.
DM.jpg
It must be then that the fact that this issue appeared when I first loaded a nightly build is a coincidence. As I said, it's no longer causing me operational issues now that I know the remedy so if it's not going to be a general issue seen by others, best left at that. Thanks for your help. :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Then it is indeed a driver issue, the driver used is the one from ST, not the WinUSB one installed with Zadig (you should see "STM32 BOOTLOADER" as explained in the doc).

Right click on that, uninstall making sure you tick the "remove driver" checkbox, unplug, replug, install driver with Zadig.
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy Kilrah,

openTx from 30.04.2015
New telemetry is ok
GPS Sensor, FLVSS, 40A Curr Sensor, all is detected automatic, SWR, .....,fine.

can set Cell1 to Cell4, Current, Consumption, Power, all ok
but
How can I show the GPS Coordinates at Telemetry screen?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Hi all,
I just spent a couple of hours on the Teensy 3.1 board.
There is a problem with the current implementation of the MAVLINK => SPORT conversion. It's important to use interrupts for SPORT protocol, a single read on the UART in the main loop won't allow a good synchro (especially with the 4bytes buffer on RX line which is enabled in serial1.c). I checked with the logic analyser, the current code answers to any IDs and if we want to answer to only the 1st one, there is a so big delay that the result is bad. It doesn't work with OpenTX 2.1 which takes care of those IDs!
I think I have everything working now in my workspace. I don't know where I should send a pull request, there are many forks for this firmware. Which one is the best / more active? Also I had to modify the serial1.c file which comes with the arduino IDE. Who knows what is the best practice to avoid this? I tried to copy the file into the sketch, but it's compiled in addition to the original file, which is not good (duplicated functions / interrupts)
Bertrand
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

good job to mark those problems! I hope you can create a "2.1" version.

Are there any hints how and when telemetry access for lua will be useable for 2.1?
lvale

Post by lvale »

Hi Bertrand.

I've created a 2.1 Compatible branch for the Teensy solution.

https://github.com/lvale/MavLink_FrSkyS ... compatible

I'll be happy to notify other users.

brgds

Luis

ps: what version of the Arduino/Teensy IDE are you using? I'm moving to 1.6.3 Arduino IDE and Teensyduino 1.2.2, but don't know if the serial problems you have still replicate here

bertrand35 wrote:Hi all,
I just spent a couple of hours on the Teensy 3.1 board.
There is a problem with the current implementation of the MAVLINK => SPORT conversion. It's important to use interrupts for SPORT protocol, a single read on the UART in the main loop won't allow a good synchro (especially with the 4bytes buffer on RX line which is enabled in serial1.c). I checked with the logic analyser, the current code answers to any IDs and if we want to answer to only the 1st one, there is a so big delay that the result is bad. It doesn't work with OpenTX 2.1 which takes care of those IDs!
I think I have everything working now in my workspace. I don't know where I should send a pull request, there are many forks for this firmware. Which one is the best / more active? Also I had to modify the serial1.c file which comes with the arduino IDE. Who knows what is the best practice to avoid this? I tried to copy the file into the sketch, but it's compiled in addition to the original file, which is not good (duplicated functions / interrupts)
Bertrand
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I just pushed my mods here:
https://github.com/bsongis/MavLink_FrSk ... its/master
Just have a look with a logic analyser, the difference between my branch and all other I tested is the delay between receiver polling and sensor answer, it's important to answer between 2 polls from the receiver.
PS: I use latest Arduino / Teensyduino.
lvale

Post by lvale »

I just looked at your changes.

My idea for 2.1 telemetry compliant Mavlink_FrSkySport was to stop using "tricks" like what was used on RPM (Sending Throttle and batt remaining) to have all required variables separately, but still waiting for things to "settle" on the ArduPilot side for the 3.3 revision, specially concerning the reporting of key EKF data, and also the reporting of messages as codes instead of full text strings.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Right in 2.1 it's better to stop reusing "standard FrSky" IDs.
I don't know where I should open a pull request, there are some forks and I don't know which one is the most active.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

@Mathias
I just tried your new mavlink sport version. Unfortunately it seems that at least some values dont really update.
e.g. heading needs far over 10 sec to update. Vario and Alt also. I hope it helps to find the issue.
I didn't change anything in MAVLINK protocol / polling, just the FrSky SPORT timings.
Am I right that the scipts you have linked in your github directory are not usable in 2.1?
I didn't read / test the scripts, only the SPORT protocol!
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

bertrand35 wrote: just the FrSky SPORT timings.
yeah, that seems a little faulty then. All other versions work. Just a little ironic because you tried to improve the delay,.. not to increase ;)
Or I dont get it right.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

@diablol don't hesitate to check with the logic analyser, I am speaking about SPORT delays. None of the forks I tried answered correctly to the receiver polling! The result: you get duplicate sensors (each new ID received creates a new sensor ...) until the limit of 32 sensors is reached, it was just not useable.
I started from 'master' on chsw, did you check it?
lvale

Post by lvale »

On a rapid glance, I do believe that the telemetry stream rates will have to be "adjusted" to what the SPort expects. I mean the SRx_parameters http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/config ... parameters

but I still have to check with the new code.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Another test right now, updates are as quick as I can see in Mission Planner!
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

I set up all new and tried all versions again ;)

2.0.x Version with Kilrahs' modification if (lastRx == START_STOP && (data == SENSOR_ID1)) works best. Fast and with only once one duplicated sensor.
lvales' version just ends up in overflow
and bertrands has some problems with the update frequency. eg. hdg takes several seconds as well as altimeter and vario

no offence, just my experience.

I would like to have a possibility to reset the autodetection. To delete every 32 ports manually is silly.
bertrand35 wrote:I started from 'master' on chsw, did you check it?
Sorry I cant follow ;)
lvale

Post by lvale »

master from chsw (Christian) is the root of the Teensy code. I keep the same code but diverge from Christian on display. At the moment I believe its the only difference.

Have you messed with the reporting frequency on SRx ??

btw: which build of 2.1 OpenTX are you using ? And also which variant of Ardupilot and version ?
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

lvale wrote: Have you messed with the reporting frequency on SRx ??
dont even know what it is, only flashed teensy and Taranis
lvale wrote: btw: which build of 2.1 OpenTX are you using ? And also which variant of Ardupilot and version ?
openTX is one of the last two days nightlys and 3.2.1 Ardupilot (Heli)

Does it work at you all??
bertrand35 wrote:Another test right now, updates are as quick as I can see in Mission Planner!
Why in Mission Planner? Updates are bad in the Taranis.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Diablol wrote:I set up all new and tried all versions again ;)

2.0.x Version with Kilrahs' modification if (lastRx == START_STOP && (data == SENSOR_ID1)) works best. Fast and with only once one duplicated sensor.
lvales' version just ends up in overflow
and bertrands has some problems with the update frequency. eg. hdg takes several seconds as well as altimeter and vario
But did you check with OpenTX 2.1? Not the Lua scripts, just the telemetry view, you have a look to the sensors coming. You will quickly see the problem (OpenTX 2.0 hides it, as it considers all sensors with the same type are the same).

I tested with the Pixhawk, the "stable" firmware, I don't know exactly which version
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I tested with the Pixhawk, the "stable" firmware, I don't know exactly which version
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

Of course 2.1 telemetry and i understand the difference to 2.0.
I see the difference in the codes but i have to less knowledge to judge and verify
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

ok other topics now ;)

Is there a difference in the firmware file in the nightly directory and the forced download 2.0.99 with special setup like -noheli -lua?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The build in the directory is basically the same as the one you get from companion without any options selected.
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

thanks

something strange happening at the moment..

I wanted to set up a complete new 2.1 taranis. So I set all up in companion, flashed recent 2.0.99 firmware and wanted to upload model settings. It works but if I start taranis it is still the old EEPROM. Even more strange, even if I format the EEPROM and upload my created setting from companion does not appear. BUT if I read again from TX it appears in companion again? WOOT?

it seems like companion is uploading and downloading the modell file to an unknown destination, lol?
ilihack

Post by ilihack »

Hello OpenTX devolpers, :)
first, thank you allot for you creat work on the OpenTX firmware fur us an for my Taranis!

but i miss one think, its the nativ mavlink Telemetry compatibility like this: http://droni.eu/mag/2014/10/12/mavlink- ... converter/

it will be possible with the big openTX 2.1 Telemetry update? i hope so much becaus with the next OpenLRSng Firmware with Mavlink support and the openTx it will be a creat combination. :D

greats ilyas from Germany
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

Have a look on page 2&3 in this thread! There a some solutions proposed. My experience is that none is working perfectly but would be good if someone else is testing.

Return to “openTx”