OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
stc

Re: OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

Post by stc »

Kilrah wrote:
  • The FrSky D system, which assumed a "frozen" environment with a given number of sensor types and count
  • The 9X and its limited resources that required telemetry handling to be optimized to that system and tightly nested with the display and menus to save memory, making it very rigid with any modification being complex, not evolutive at all.
The best was thus to wipe everything related to it and start from scratch, with the same "generic" approach used for all other aspects of the firmware to allow for maximum flexibility and to make it future-proof by making future changes easy. It is even ready to accept completely new telemetry protocols easily.
Do you remove the d series telemetry from from 2.1 or can I still use old receivers in D8 mode?

Thanks.

steve

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

D stuff will show up exactly the same way as X things, but obviously no way to duplicate sensors.
ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

With the old D type rx's will we/can use the hub? It gets a bit confusing as sensors such as the current and cell voltage do not require a hub.

Ideally i'd also like to get rpm info from a hall sensor (ignition) from my gas planes to display on screen. With the D type rx this information can be provided via the hub to my tx. With the new system is there a simpler/neater way to do it?
How would one go about display rpm info via an X type rx?
Thanks
If it has wings it will fly...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With one of these?
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/rpm-smart-port-sensor

As long as your hall sensor outputs at least 2V this should work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ckleanth wrote:With the old D type rx's will we/can use the hub? It gets a bit confusing as sensors such as the current and cell voltage do not require a hub.
Absolutely nothing changes in the hardware, the way you connect things and what's compatible with what. The radio will just display things in the new way and let you do more things with them.

ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

Andre thanks for the clarification.
Mike thanks, i picked up two from Richard.
Btw re the analog to sport voltage sensor, can we use two of them now with opentx or not? There was some conflict with the internal ID's and i think you fixed this for both the sensor firmware and ersky9x but i wasn't sure if this was resolved in opentx
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You can't easily use two X8R2analog sensors. They don't have the "daisy chain" connections on them and their IDs are fixed. The change I did do to them was to allow two analog inputs so you get A1 as well as A2. I'm not sure if openTx has been changed to handle the A1 value though. Originally openTx read the internal Rx voltage, but mapped this to the A1 value, so if you received an A1 value there was a conflict. I'll need to check the code to see what is currently implemented. (Edit: It looks like 2.0.15 still puts the RxV value into A1)
On ersky9x I added a new telemetry value RxV for the voltage from the 'X' series receivers, also being used for new DSM telemetry. I made this also appear as A1, unless you received a real A1 value.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Bruneaux

Post by Bruneaux »

Mike,

A1 and A2 are an interesting problem. I thought I saw some docs that indicated that it is possible to send a command to turn off A1 in the receiver. Can't remember where it was.

So A1 will collide with the receivers A1. There is only the one Data ID for A1 and A2 as where A3 and A4 have 15 Data_ID's available (after 2.1). Have you not seen the collision with A1 from the receiver's A1 and an A1 from the X8R2's A1? I tried to use A1 in another project and the A1 was bouncing between the two values.

Bruneaux

EDIT: Ahh. In 2.1 the A1 will have a different SPort ID so it will become unique. So the A1 should be good in 2.1. Never mind!
ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

As always thanks Mike.
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

Can you tell me how the IDs are handled with sensors having more build in sensors like rpm,T1,T2..
Can I change each of them with the servo channel changer or is it only for the hole hardware set?

I will have eg. 2 rpm sensors, vario, combined with APM/Teensy telemetry (with also vario). So if this concept works it will be very handy ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The "physical ID" that you set with the SCC is for the whole hardware part. It's what allows multiple devices to communicate on the same smart port bus without stepping on each other, which is why they must be unique.

OpenTX then uses that physical ID to differentiate several physical sensors returning the same value (same data ID).
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

ok thanks.
I would continue to throw more questions and experience as well as problems here. Some may silly some may help to improve I hope :) someone may transfer it to github.

As I understood (after tests) there is a two digit ID for every device communicating on SPort and a four digit ID for every single sensor value arriving openTX.

Now, I have that mod
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/how ... ght-to-you
where about 18 values were send to taranis. Execpt you cant combine it with normal senors in OpentTX 2.0 it works perfect.

Now I tried it with 2.1
and actually I should show you a video, I propably will do soon, it results in a message " All telemetrie slots full". Opentx creats new and new sensors thinking they come from different devices. Problem is that [unused] slots remain and block changing IDs (sure some faults in that APM convertion too).

I just keep telling some stuff I realized to may be improoved
- the slot number counting doesnt adjust if you delete some/one
- the message "slots full" prevent from doing action besides from turning RX or TX off..
- we may need to supress slots or ask which to create
(^^I know I have some special case here, but it is a topic where that new feature could be very usefull)
- I cant figure out how to create GPS diplay. I think the gps coordinates units are missing?

;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It looks like the code in the teensy converter misuses the smart port by answering to 2 different physical IDs instead of just one, which means everything will be detected twice (and 2x18 sensors = 36 which exceeds the max of 32 that can be stored).

In MavLink_FrSkySPort.ino you might want to try changing

Code: Select all

if (lastRx == START_STOP && ((data == SENSOR_ID1) || (data == SENSOR_ID2))) 
into

if (lastRx == START_STOP && (data == SENSOR_ID1)) 
All should then be good.
If you get the slots full message just turn the receiver off and you'll stop receiving new sensors allowing you to purge unused ones.
Slot number counting is not important, no reason to rearrange them when deleting, actually rearranging them would screw up any existing settings so you would NOT want that.
GPS should work as is if sent by that converter as per the spec, on my captures you see "GPS ---", if coordinates are received they would show up in place of the ---.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A question regarding SWR on early Taranis Plus. The current code (pre 2.1) looks for an XJTversion value to decide if the SWR value is valid or not. I have a perfectly good EXTERNAL XJT module with valid SWR. It looks to me that this will be treated as an invalid SWR type. I believe the SWR test should only be active for the internal module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mox17

Post by mox17 »

A reason to recognize more sensor IDs is to minimize latency and maximize throughput on the S Port.
When only recognizing one ID, much bandwidth is wasted, because the receiver will alternate between the known devices on the bus, and will probe for the missing devices.

Below is a trace of s-port traffic from a X8R receiver talking to a teensy with some Mikrokopter telemetry conversion code I made.
I wanted to maximize throughput and send any data that had changed at the earliest opportunity. With the linking of sensor if to data id, all sensors have the bandwidth, which is not necessarily what you want,
A vario or gps position justifies higher update frequency than engine temperature.

There is a lot of queries for absent devices "7E<XX>", where each such time slot are 12 ms apart,

7E98 10 01F1 50000000 AC 
7E98 10 04F1 60000000 99 7EB77E397EBA7E007EA17E227EE47E457EC67E677E487EE97E6A7ECB7EAC7E0D7E8E7E2F7ED07E717EF27E537E347E957E167EB77E39
7E1B 10 1001 00000000 DE 
The design decision to link the sensor id to the data id has some nice aspects for ease of management, but it will limit the throughput possible. All sensors will have equally bad bandwidth.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

mox17 wrote:When only recognizing one ID, much bandwidth is wasted
This is not correct, the receiver already handles that case by keeping a list of IDs that are present on the bus and will poll those more frequently.
Basically at startup the receiver will poll all IDs equally, then those that don't get a response will be polled less often like only once every second just in case you connect a new sensor but with negligible bandwidth hit.
So responding to multiple IDs does not significantly increase throughput.
MikeB wrote:A question regarding SWR on early Taranis Plus. The current code (pre 2.1) looks for an XJTversion value to decide if the SWR value is valid or not. I have a perfectly good EXTERNAL XJT module with valid SWR. It looks to me that this will be treated as an invalid SWR type. I believe the SWR test should only be active for the internal module
I believe the test should already work in both cases, an external XJT would not report a version and thus be considered valid. SWR is hidden only if a version is reported and it is older than "version that has working SWR".
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

@Kilrah
I was asking that myself a litte but was too afreight to change the code.
But It worked. Only until the teensy is in sync still some strange IDs appear.

GPS works too. :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you use a model with the internal XJT active, then the XjtVersion variable will be set indicating SWR not valid. If you then change models to one that is using an external XJT, without powering off the Tx, then the XjtVersion variable is already set, and will not be updated, so the external XJT won't have its SWR value processed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Changing model clears telemetry, of course including the xjtVersion variable.
Diablol

Post by Diablol »

Just giving feedback.
APM sensors working fine with frsky senors together.

I now have Altimeter from Adrupilot as well as from frsky. (interesting to compare).

I am not really able to set capital letters for sensor names. Only luck if they appear.

It is really a very cool feature. Lets get LUA access documented and the world is ours.

Big thank to the programmers. You now know my coordinates (approx) Come around and get a beer ;)
Attachments
IMG_20150424_212605.jpg
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

A while back I loaded one of the nightly builds onto my Taranis A model. Since I did that I have been unable to load firmware onto the radio to revert it back to 2.0.15 so that I can use it. I have tried restoring from the SD card, loading 2.1.15 using OpenTX Companion and also OTXC 2.1. I get this error message

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
Opening DFU capable USB device... Cannot open device

=================================================================================
DFU Util done - exit code 1
=================================================================================

The USB driver appears to be loaded correctly as before and I can up and download eepe files successfully from the PC. I have tried 3 different computers (W7, Vista and XP) and several cables just in case.

ATM I have a useless radio, I can't even download a later nightly build to continue the telemetry look. I asked previously without answer but I am getting desperate and really would appreciate assistance with sorting out what has gone wrong. Thanks.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

By experimentation I just discovered that I can download the firmware with the radio switched on. I have been doing it with radio off since 9X days.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Switched on yes, but in bootloader mode (both trims in, power on).
That's where you access the SD card, get companion access, and can flash firmware.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Diablol wrote:I am not really able to set capital letters for sensor names. Only luck if they appear.
Short press enter goes to next letter, long press enter sets to upper case and goes to next letter. Has always been that way for all text fields.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Kilrah wrote:Switched on yes, but in bootloader mode (both trims in, power on).
That's where you access the SD card, get companion access, and can flash firmware.
I understand that now, had been trying to flash the firmware with the radio switched off as I have been doing since day 1 - not appreciating that this method has now been abolished apparently.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No it still works just the same, you likely have to reinstall the driver.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I reinstalled the driver. I have two Taranis, same model, same firmware, same eepe. With one I can install the firmware with the radio off as always. With the one on which I had the nightly build installed I cannot since that time, error as in previous post. Something has clearly been changed by the nightly build install, it might be useful for the developers to know what, I'm happy to provide any information that I can to assist. It's not an operational problem for me now as I have installed 2.1.15 with the radio in bootloader mode.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I use it every day during 21 development... and anyway on the radio the firmware physically has no way to alter anything to the "powered off" flashing method as that is handled by a bootloader that is part of the processor and unmodifiable. The problem can only be either in the radio hardware with a defective processor or on the PC side (either hardware, driver or companion).

Are you using the same version of companion for the one that works and the one that doesn't? Did you try removing the radio's battery completely before connecting USB?
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I am using the same PC, same Companion, same USB cable, same USB port. I tried removing the battery as you suggested, made no difference unfortunately.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What happens when you plug the radio in bootloader mode?

Return to “openTx”