Possible to mirror the Taranis LCD menu into ubuntu SBC?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
geekness

Possible to mirror the Taranis LCD menu into ubuntu SBC?

Post by geekness »

Does anybody know if it is possible to mirror the LCD screen/menu into Linux/ubuntu running on a SBC?

Im trying to design/build a customized transmitter with an in built linux single board computer (SBC) for drone control.
I want to have the PPM and telemetry (MAVlink) signals generated by individual processors to allow for failure/redundency.

The Linux SBC will be used for the MAVLink connection and likely run Ubuntu with APM Planner 2.0. It will have a touch screen as the interface. Im looking at the Odroid U3.

One option im investigating is to use the internal guts of the taranis to generate the PPM signal, but I'd like to not need the taranis screen, instead use some software in the Ubuntu SBC to access the menu and make changes as required. All the switches, gimbals, sliders etc from the Taranis would also be re-used. The whole thing would then be combined into a 3d printed unit. See pic below.

Other options im looking at are "The Tx Project" and "RC Joy"
The tx Project uses an arduino with a usb host shield to accept a USB joystick and output the PPM. The menu then allows mixes/trims etc. etc. but requires an LCD to access the menu.

RC Joy is similar but uses and STM32F429 discovery with a touch screen LCD for the menu. It's menu seems to be more complex and have more options.

For these last 2 projects, the control sticks/switches/sliders etc I am thinking of using would be a custom set of gimbals, switches, sliders etc, connected to a "BU0836X 12-Bit Joystick Board" (Which combines pots and switches to create a custom USB joystick/gamepad type of thing). All components would then be encased in a 3d printed unit.

Which ever option I choose (noted here or otherwise), I will have it encased in a 3d printed hand unit, looking very similar to this picture.

Kilrah

Re: Possible to mirror the Taranis LCD menu into ubuntu SBC?

Post by Kilrah »

There are many theoretical ways to do it, but nothing existing.
geekness

Post by geekness »

Hi Kilrah, thatnks for the reply.
Are you able to explain any of the theories?
geekness

Post by geekness »

So after a bit of digging I have found that the hardware and software supports telemetry out of the serial port in the battery bay.
Would it be possible to use the serial port to send and receive a real time menu, accessible in an Ubuntu environment?

Im aware that firmware will need to be manipulated to get this to work, but im clueless on this side of things.
If anybody can point me in a good direction, I'd be very appreciative.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

See the comment on the issue you opened on github.

Return to “openTx”