Frsky Taranis can I edit the firmware?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
ramsus42

Frsky Taranis can I edit the firmware?

Post by ramsus42 »

Hi People,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask my question but if not, please direct me to the right topic.

I really love my Frsky taranis for a year now and since a week I bought an extra Frsky Taranis Plus. I have the idea to create a different design, and with that also change the firmware.

I want to keep the same firmware but I want to skip some pages in it, and I also want to skip all the unnecessary stuff. I just want to upload some basic settings and that's all I need. I also want to have the telemtry screen as main screen. I there a way to do this? Can I do this simply?
I want to skip most of the buttons so you can't do anything in the TX anymore without opening it.

Before I do that I need to know what can be done by a average computer knowledged person.

Thank you very much, I really apreciate any help.

ramsus42

Re: Frsky Taranis can I edit the firmware?

Post by ramsus42 »

I have read about the whole LUA scripting. To change the screens etc. Is there mayby some sort of how-to to simply remove screens etc? Or is this just Line removing in the code.

Some help in the right direction would be apreciated.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Everything is possible as the firmware is open source, but it obviously involves programming skills.
https://github.com/opentx

AFAIK there is one thing that is already implemented, it's the READ_ONLY mode where a key combination is needed to unlock modification of some parameters. Requires compiling yourself with the relevant option. Don't ask me more, I just remember seeing it but never tried nor looked in detail.

Lua allows you to do some stuff on top of the firmware as it is, not to modify it.
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

|Hi Kilray,

Thank you very much for your help. Greatly apreciated.
I have seen some great LUA screens that I can use, but the best thing would be if this screens pops up instantly. I see all the people power up there radio, press some buttons to skip the opentx screens, and then you have the main screen. Then you need to press "page" to see the LUA screen.

I would love to have it so that you power the tx, and you go instantly to the LUA screen.
I will do all the settings with the computer. This way I don't need any button anymore, accept one for zeroing the altitude.

Again, any help with this is greatly apreciated. I really dont know how to start.
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

ps, something else :(

I'm struggeling the whole day now with the firmware and I have a problem I can't solve.
I installed the drivers and the compagnon and the tx are working flawlessy together. I can upload and download everything to and from the tx.
When I press settings, select the taranis plus transmitter and then press Ok, then I go to download, I see a green bar, compagnon ask me if I want to write firmware to the tx and it's done.

But then the problem begins. If I restart the transmitter I see a blue screen with tekst instead of white, and the tx is powering on. After 2 second it shuts itself and it repowers again. It's just powering up itself again and again. Whatever I do, whatever settings I play with, it keeps doing that. Sometimes even with noise out of the transmitter.

Then, If i load the original firmware, everything is OK again. The transmitter is working then like it came out of the factory.

What is going on!? I'm totally lost:(. I tried everything, googled as much as I could but I can't find my problem.

frustrated...:(

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Which compiler? Which args to the make command?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is the noise a vibration as well?
If so, you have probably loaded Taranis firmware on the Taranis PLUS. You need to choose Taranis PLUS for you firmware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your responds. Yes sometimes it sounds like thatn.I press download, the compagnon is downloading his own firmware right? Because in the settings I chroose taranis plus.
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

Hi betramd,

Ik don't understant correctly. It's the newest compagnon.
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

I tried every possible firmware but still no succes. The transmitter gives the screen a blue colour instead of white, it's powering up, you think it's ready, but when you press a button it powers itself down and powering up again.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I backed up the original firmware of the Plus, so I've posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=6584#p91517.

If you flash this you should at least get back working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks, but that's the problem. If I upload the original firmware from Frsky everything is normal again. But, I want to remove most of the screens.

Mayby somebody can generate a firmware for the taranis plus with compagnon with most of the things checked in settings. So no global variables anymore etc.
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

Mike, what bootloader do I need to have on the Taranis? I tried to upload it, trims to the middle, power on. with bootloader 2.0.13 on the tranmsitter. Now it hangs and i'm hearing a loud noise. Then I tried to upload it with the Taranis off, now he changed the bootloader to 2.0.9. Then i switched it on, the screen is white again, but it poweres itself on and off.

Then I tried to remove the SD card and everything is working fine now! Wtf? I don't understand it anymore:(

With that in mind, I tried the new firmware but the same problem occurs again. Still the powerin up and down problem, whatever I do with the SD card.

I'm totally lost here:( Hopefully my sd card is still correct
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As long as it is a bootloader for the PLUS, it shouldn't matter which one you have. If the bootloader runs (which it must be if it is displaying the version number), then you have a version for the PLUS, so you should be OK.

If the original firmware works, but openTx doesn't, then there must be something wrong with the version of openTx you have, although exactly what I don't know.
I mainly work on ersky9x, a version of which also runs on the Taranis/Taranis Plus.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

Hi Mike, Thanks:)

Can you also delete some screen with ersky9x?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ersky9x remembers the last screen from every model.. So, when you turn the radio on or load the model, it goes to the same screen it was before.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

Hi Joao,

so, if i look at a LUA script telemtry screen, and I power of the Radio, and I put it on again, I will see that screen again?
If so then that would be great! Or is this firmware only for the 9x?

Ps, just took my old taranis. Loaded new firmware on it and everything is working flawlessy. It works beautifull. Also with the LUA screens etc.
If i generate a Taranis plus firmware, and load it exactly the same way on my taranis, then it will power itself on anf of all the time. It will behave normally when i load the original firmware and remove the SD card.

Grr..
Last edited by ramsus42 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ersky9x doesn't support LUA
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ramsus42 wrote:If i generate a Taranis plus firmware, and load it exactly the same way on my taranis, then it will power itself on anf of all the time.
As said... On a Taranis you need to load a Taranis firmware. On a Taranis Plus you need to load a Taranis Plus firmware. Not that hard.
ramsus42

Post by ramsus42 »

I'm Sorry Kilrah, I was directing to the "manner" how I upload the firmware. offcourse I generated a new firmware for the Plus.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Frsky Taranis can I edit the firmware?

Post by dvogonen »

Take a screen shot of Companion while you generate you generate fw. That way it will be possible to see what you do.

Make sure to capture the whole Companion window, not just the generation dialog. The transmitter type is only visible in the title bar of Companion.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

Return to “openTx”