OpenTX 2.0.0

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
dinamich

Re: OpenTX 2.0.0

Post by dinamich »

I will also fix the Bootloader's makefile to have newlib nano optional (to respect NANO setting), but using newlib nano saves about 880B of FLASH. https://github.com/opentx/opentx/commit ... 010147cd03

Update: bootloader NANO problem fixed in https://github.com/opentx/opentx/commit ... 34572fb1d6
projectkk2glider@github

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I got it working. I worked back through changes to img2lbm.py in the next branch, and used an older copy of that instead of the version in the master branch. I have the graphics OK now with that. It seems the img2lbm.py in the master branch is wrong (old).
The larger font for the model name was also wrong, I built all the font files again using having deleted all the font .lbm files.
That seems to have sorted the font as well.

So the img2lbm.py in the util directory of the master branch is incorrect.

What version of openTx is in the master branch? My build shows I have built 2.0.14.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

I will look at img2lbm.py to see what are the differences. The master branch contains 2.0.x development and is now almost ready to be released as 2.0.14 that is why the version is already set at this value. If you want a particular release, then checkout one of the tags.
projectkk2glider@github
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

The img2lbm.py on the master branch hasn't changed since opentx 2.0.6. The difference from the next branch is intentional. So it should work as it is (and it does for me on Linux).
projectkk2glider@github
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought the master branch was the 'last' stable release, without pending changes.
That's why I chose it to download and build.
If the master branch is not stable, where/what is the 'last' stable source code?

In any case, the master branch is not consistent. The code and the img2lbm.py are not compatible, so it is WRONG.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

dinamich wrote:The master branch contains 2.0.x development and is now almost ready to be released as 2.0.14 that is why the version is already set at this value.
Confusing. At the bottom of the Github page with the master branch selected it says:

"OpenTX Master Branch

You have found your way to the GitHub repository site for the OpenTX Master Branch. This code branch holds the source code for the latest stable release.

The ongoing development is not done in this branch. It is performed in the branch called next."

So if it isn't the latest stable release, please change the description, if it is supposed to be the latest stable release, then it should build as downloaded.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That has kind of changed since work is being done on 2 releases in parallel... fixes for master should be done in a 3rd branch, and merged to master only when released. With the advantage that it could probably merged into next as well to port the fixes more easily and reliably.

In any case, the latest release is the latest tag.
MikeB wrote:That breaks the build completely, it goes off to build the bootloader and fails badly:

arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./startup_stm32f2xx.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./system_stm32f2xx.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./stm32f2xx_rcc.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./stm32f2xx_gpio.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./stm32f2xx_spi.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./misc.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usb_core.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usb_dcd.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usb_dcd_int.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usbd_core.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usbd_ioreq.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usbd_req.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usbd_desc.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usb_bsp.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./usb_driver.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: ./pwr_driver.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: nano.specs: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [bootloader_ramBoot.elf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Data/C/opentx/Master/src/bootloader'
make: *** [bootloader/bootloader_ramBoot.bin] Error 2
I occasionally have the same problem on Windows, it seems I need to run make clean twice (in radio/src) for some reason before making the firmware for it to work. Maybe some OS caching...
EDIT: Above was on next branch, but likely the same on master
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I sorted those errors. It seems that since I last downloaded the master branch, and now, the location where the .O files are placed has changed. I still had .O files from a previous build in their source directories, so no new ones were built.
I do find development on openTx slow because it compiles so much every time you do a make. As I only have a few possible target binaries on ersky9x, each has its own object file directory, so only changed files need re-compiling when doing a make, much faster.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

I am also bothered by the long build times of OpenTX. Do you have any solution in mind that would reduce compile time and not require whole new Makefile. As it is the Makefille is very complex and messing with it could give us a lot of headaches.
projectkk2glider@github
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This is how my makefile(s) work.

For each major target (Taranis, Taranis Plus, SKY etc.), I have a line in the make file like:
OBJDIR = x9dpobj
this one is for the Taranis Plus.

# Generate the (raw) object files lists
AXOBJS = $(ASRC:%.s=%.o)
CXOBJS = $(SRC:%.c=%.o)
CPPXOBJS = $(CPPSRC:%.cpp=%.o)

# Remove directory info from the object files lists
AOBJS = $(patsubst %,$(OBJDIR)/%,$(notdir $(AXOBJS) ))
COBJS = $(patsubst %,$(OBJDIR)/%,$(notdir $(CXOBJS) ))
CPPOBJS = $(patsubst %,$(OBJDIR)/%,$(notdir $(CPPXOBJS) ))

# Generates the dependancy files lists
INCLUDES = $(AOBJS:.o=.o.d) $(COBJS:.o=.o.d) $(CPPOBJS:.o=.o.d)

OBJS = $(ASRC:%.s=$(OBJDIR)/%.o) $(SRC:%.c=$(OBJDIR)/%.o) $(CPPSRC:%.cpp=$(OBJDIR)/%.o)

# Generate dependency information
CPFLAGS += -MD -MP -MF $(OBJDIR)/$(@F).d
CPPFLAGS += -MD -MP -MF $(OBJDIR)/$(@F).d

Typical compile dependancy:
$(CPPOBJS) : $(OBJDIR)/%.o : %.cpp
$(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) -fno-exceptions -I . $(INCDIR) $< -o $@

So when I compile for the Plus, all the object files end in the sub-directory x9dpobj, and don't need removing unless you change your compile options (like including LUA or not).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

Can anyone point me in the direction for a list of known working windows tablets that will work for companion?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I have a Lenovo Miix 3 830 that works great.
Attachments
IMG_1829_s.jpg
Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 »

Sorry that my first ever post is a question:

My 9XR works OK on 2.0.17 but as 2.0.18 is supposed to be the final 2.0 version apart from bug fixes.

I decided to update my 9XR and first updated Companion to the 2.0.18 version. Downloaded the X9R M128 firmware for the options I have used before. Then updated the 9XR via the USBasp. A process that has worked OK in the past.

On switch on the 9XR was reporting EPROM errors and needed to be r- calibrated and had no model data. When I tried to load the model data I got a string of errors stating all sorts of mismatches.

A hasty reload of 2.0.17 and saved model data soon had it back to normal again. Phew!

Thinking I must have done something wrong I tried again with exactly the same problems.

My 9XR is back again on 2.0.17 but has any other 9XR owner had a problem with 2.0.18. Is there something I should know about 2.0.18 and not even try it?
Malc

Re: OpenTX 2.0.0 Tatanis X9D

Post by Malc »

Is Open TX Companion 2.2.0 suitable to use with a Taranis X9D Transmitter ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Of course.
moti

Post by moti »

I downloaded 2.2.0 to my new Taranis SE (was 2.1.6) I can see it on the version screen......but when I turn on the radio i get: SD card warning "expected version 2.2v.0010 press any key" did it and it ok....but it still appears every time I turn on the radio.
any suggestion?

Have you all nice weekend
Moti
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Moti.
Update the SD card image. 2.2. checks to make sure you have the correct version for that firmware.
You do not.
Some files positions and/or names changed.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
moti

Post by moti »

Thanks, problem is that SD card is damage so i replace download everything... no success....can anyone tell me what to do :cry:
finleyhere

Post by finleyhere »

I've got the same problem as Moti. Everything still works but it no longer says "welcome to open TX" at the start and I get that annoying buzz with the warning about the SD card. I'm using a Mac so if the solution is PC specific it wont help. Thanx.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Would be best you read the 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 release news posts on the OpenTX website.
There have been significant improvements, but whether they matter to you only you can decide.

Telemetry handling completely changed in 2.1.0 so anything telemetry related will need to be reconfigured if you upgrade to that or later.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Before you do any update, just read the flash and EEPROM memories from the radio. If things are not correct afterwards you can simply put these back on the radio and it will be as though you didn't do anything.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

robonav wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am I do not need to know what are the new functionality or the issues resolved
Well that is what your "second question" was about, no?
robonav wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 amI was asking if you or others know if are problems updating from 2.0 to 2.2 (for example, binding difficulties on older receiver like D or VR series, protocol compatibility problem with my older Taranis X9D, or eventually other issues that I cannot imagine ) even doing a stepped update (2.0 to 2.1, 2.1 to 2.2).
And that was answered, the one big thing that will require your intervention is telemetry setup. But that's exactly what the release posts are for, to point out what's not straightforward.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Your second question was whether it was worth upgrading. Kilrah gave a very clear answer which amounted to:
1. The release posts on OpenTX website state what upgrading gets you.
2. Only you can decide whether the changes are worthwhile in your situation.
manu

Post by manu »

What's the latest functionable release for th9x (stockboard) w/frsky telemetry?
On Companion 2.0 the firmware "OpenTX for 9X Board" (frsky selected) comes without telemetry (page non existent, switches wrong).
regards
manu
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you would better use Er9x on your 9x radio. OpenTX developers are not developing for it anymore. Er9x is still being developed and maintained. and it has support for the multiprotocol module as well..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Return to “openTx”