OpenTX 2.0.0

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
bertrand35
9x Developer

OpenTX 2.0.0

Post by bertrand35 »

4 months, around 2500 commits, 280 issues / enhancements requests done and ... OpenTX 2.0.0 is out!
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/releases/tag/2.0.0

As a summary:
- Changelog is available in companion->Help->Firmware Changes and at the link above
- Documentation about the changes (not finished yet): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lL8 ... sp=sharing

This release has a lot of changes, and they aren't fully documented yet. If you decide to upgrade, we recommend you back up your current firmware and EEPROM first in case you don't like the changes or you're lost.
The nightly builds page has important information regarding model settings that will not be upgraded losslessly, possibly requiring you to reprogram some of your models. It would be wise to check it first, and be sure to thoroughly check each of your models' behavior before flying it after the upgrade.

Enjoy!
The OpenTX team

davx

Re: OpenTX 2.0.0

Post by davx »

:)

Great work !!

Thanks everybody !!!
SamPik

Post by SamPik »

To the whole dev team - merci beaucoup!
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Many thanks to the dev team for the great work.

Bertrand, I just saw a minor fout in the French version:
In the general setup of Taranis, it is now possible to define the tones for the vario with 3 new parameters.
In Fr, the same text "Tonalité au zéro" is displayed twice (once for the first parameter and once for the third).
The text for the third parameter should be changed in a text like "Intervalle au zéro"
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

First fix ...

davx

Post by davx »

mstrens wrote:Many thanks to the dev team for the great work.

Bertrand, I just saw a minor fout in the French version:
In the general setup of Taranis, it is now possible to define the tones for the vario with 3 new parameters.
In Fr, the same text "Tonalité au zéro" is displayed twice (once for the first parameter and once for the third).
The text for the third parameter should be changed in a text like "Intervalle au zéro"
Hi,
I don't have this problem :
Companion_Param_Gen.jpg
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

He meant on the radio, there was a translation little issue (same label on 2 lines)
davx

Post by davx »

Ah ok !

Moreover, could the TX simulator in Companion be also translated ?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Today no, it would not be simple, but feasible though, through DLLs compiled as we do today for the firmwares. You would compile your simulator just as you compile your firmware.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: OpenTX 2.0.0

Post by dvogonen »

bertrand35 wrote:Today no, it would not be simple, but feasible though, through DLLs compiled as we do today for the firmwares. You would compile your simulator just as you compile your firmware.
Being able to "order" a simulator based on the exact same settings as the user has made for the firmware would be a great thing. Not just the language, but the whole application. This would be extra handy to have for the translators, who could get test versions compiled on the fly using the same mechanism.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Yes, it would be the whole application
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

Devs,

Thanks for the 2.0.0 firmware!!

I have one comment that may help someone, or perhaps I was just having trouble. My previous firmware was 2940. I downloaded the new 2.0 Open TX Companion, but it couldn't burn the 2.0 firmware as it couldn't find my transmitter. It didn't matter if I was powering on before connecting the USB or not. And the instructions that said to hold the two trim switches towards the center wasn't helpful (perhaps because I didn't have the 2.0 firmware installed yet?).

To be successful to update the 2.0 firmware, I had to use the older companion9x version 1.52 revision 2381, and power off my Taranis, then plug in the USB cable. Then I used the 'Write Flash Memory' function to update the firmware on the transmitter to 2.0.0. This seemed to work ok. As I rebooted my radio, firmware 2.0.0 was installed.

After doing this, I was able to use the new OpenTX Companion version 2.0.0. Now all the documentation and instructions seem to work. I'll have to start converting my models now. Luckily I only have three at this point.

Someone may want to write a guide on how to update from the earlier version to the new 2.0.0 firmware as this was a bit confusing to me, espectially when trying to follow the guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lL8 ... ring&pli=1
Thanks again.
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

Awesome job guys!!
srobledo

Post by srobledo »

Thanks Devs!
Is there a plan to release for Mac?
I can't believe I am the first to ask; is there anything I can do make the build and provide to other Mac users?
Thanks,
Sergio
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

I found another difference in 2.0.0

Its seems that sound file sound names have been shortened. I had a file called 'Stabilize.wav'. It wouldn't play. I had to rename it to 'Stabiliz.wav'.

This might confuse some people. It took me some time to find why my sound file was not playing.

This may want to go into a 'converting to 2.0' document.
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Yes, that is a correct observation. The file names had to be shortened to 8 characters to preserve space for other needs. This might seem as a trivial saving, but each and every byte counts since voice can be used both in 9x and Taranis and the memory in 9x is completely and utterly full.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I didnt know that the megasound board for the 9x accepted names with 8 letters. I didn't even know I could use letters instead of the numbered files..
Now if you're talking about the skyboard, is the memory really full? :o

João

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

I have neither so I do not know, I just know that the file name length was reduced when something else increased. Might it have been the number of custom functions? Bertrand called the change a compromise to preserve memory. As far as I know the 9x is the only platform where this level of memory pinching is necessary.
FloatingFoam

Post by FloatingFoam »

So many cool features and bug fixes. Thanks guys!

Particularly cool to me:
- LUA support
- New bootloader
- Text notes
- New voices
- Altitude in the top bar

Gee, it's all cool :D.
MicheleVilla

Post by MicheleVilla »

H
At the moment .deb for Debian ubuntu is not available.
When will it be?

Thank you
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

My Sky9x transmitter is not recognized by Companion 2.0.0. When I try to read models or write firmware to the transmitter I get a warning window saying "No Taranis radio found". I have tried selecting both versions of OpenTX for Sky9x board/ 9x that are available in the Edit Settings menus. I also had the same problem with Companion 1.99.7. Companion 1.99.6 worked properly. I have the latest 2.0.0 firmware loaded in the radio using the bootloader from 1.99.6 and copying the files from the computer into the firmware directory and the using bootloader to install the firmware

Paul
zmooth

Post by zmooth »

This is wonderful news, thank you devs for the release!

Does the stick reverse option in companion radio settings does anything yet ? I have a 9x with frsky gimbals so I think that's for me, right ? I have flashed with stickrev firmware but I can't get any sticks to reverse.
Tfmccull

Post by Tfmccull »

Apologies if i missed the answer to this already, but will there be a companion for OSX in the near future or is it windows/linux only now?
dermo

Post by dermo »

also eagerly awaiting a .deb version for ubuntu 14.04
econoline

Post by econoline »

Tfmccull wrote:Apologies if i missed the answer to this already, but will there be a companion for OSX in the near future or is it windows/linux only now?
Same here, I'm hoping a 2.0 for OSX will be available soon.
rotozuk

Post by rotozuk »

I chatted with Bertrand this morning. Sounded like he was going to have someone work on the OSX version.

-Wayne
-----------------------------
www.alofthobbies.com
-----------------------------
FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

For everyone waiting for a deb file:

Just a heads up for us linux folks. I have a Ubuntu based distro and since this isn't an apt-get (.deb) file, you have to work around it. Open it with the Archive Manager and save/extract the files into a folder. In my case I unpacked the RPM into the ~/Downloads/Companion2.0 folder. From there you can just copy the files directly to root.

ThinkPad-T61:~/Downloads/Companion2.0$ sudo cp -prv * /

Since I was eager to get a look I just ran it from the command line:

ThinkPad-T61:~/Downloads/Companion2.0$ /usr/local/bin/companion

I will add it to my menu here shortly.
OpenTxPilot

Post by OpenTxPilot »

Hello. First, let me say thank you to all the developers involved with the OpenTX 2.0 release. You've done a fantastic job!

I would like to report a possible bug in the new POT Positions feature and the Taranis (X9D). I tried this with an existing model and with a new model and got the same results both times.

Reproduce Steps:
1. Create a model
2. Select the POT Positions option under Model Setup
3. Change the first selection to MAN (manual)
4. Deactivate all POTs ('short press' enter) except S1, for simplicity.
5. Rotate the S1 knob to 25% (for example) then 'long press' Enter on S1 to set the position.
7. Press Exit button then power off the TX
8. Rotate S1 to a new position and Power on the TX
9. The "Control Warning" page correctly shows S1 needs to be adjusted, however it also shows S3 is out of adjustment but the Taranis does not have an S3 POT to adjust. Nor is it available to select during step 2 above.

BTW, this works in the companion simulator because the POT Positions option under Model Setup in the simulator has the ability set as well as select and deselect S3.

Thanks, again for the hard work and great software. Donations on it's way.

-Thad
Last edited by OpenTxPilot on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

FigNewton wrote:For everyone waiting for a deb file:

Just a heads up for us linux folks. I have a Ubuntu based distro and since this isn't an apt-get (.deb) file, you have to work around it. Open it with the Archive Manager and save/extract the files into a folder. In my case I unpacked the RPM into the ~/Downloads/Companion2.0 folder. From there you can just copy the files directly to root.

ThinkPad-T61:~/Downloads/Companion2.0$ sudo cp -prv * /

Since I was eager to get a look I just ran it from the command line:

ThinkPad-T61:~/Downloads/Companion2.0$ /usr/local/bin/companion

I will add it to my menu here shortly.
Another option is to install and use the tool called alien. Alien will allow you to install rpm packages on Ubuntu/Mint. You can even convert a rpm package to a deb package.

I just did the second alternative to the Companion 2.0.0 package and installed the result on a Mint machine. Worked just fine.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Thank you!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “openTx”