OpenTX 2.0.0

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
g6ejd

Re: OpenTX 2.0.0

Post by g6ejd »

Hi folks, I have a Taranis model B I updated to 2.0.1 and lost my LUA menu, is that correct?

Plus it still needs both trims to be held in to get the boot menu!
Last edited by g6ejd on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

g6ejd wrote:Hi fold, I have a Taranis model B I updated to 2.0.1 and lost my LUA menu, is that correct?

Trims held while powering up is to prevent accidentally getting into boot menu while flying. It's a safety feature.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

g6ejd wrote:Hi fold, I have a Taranis model B I updated to 2.0.1 and lost my LUA menu, is that correct?

Looks like you didn't tick the lua option in companion preferences before downloading the FW.

To update the bootloader you need to put the downloaded file on the SD card, browse to it on the radio's SD card browser, and select update bootloader.
g6ejd

Post by g6ejd »

Kilrah, thanks. I had not thought of that, but do remember seeing that option come up. I'll out the Companion options to see if that resolves it.

Firmware loads OK from the companion and I have tried copying it to the virtual drive and updating from the boot loader.

It says 2.0.1 but stills requires both trims to be pressed in on power-up to get to the boot menu, when rlease notes say 1 trim is needed.

This is great software, having come from Spektrum, I'm finding this a whole new 'open' world.
davx

Post by davx »

Kilrah wrote: To update the bootloader you need to put the downloaded file on the SD card, browse to it on the radio's SD card browser, and select update bootloader.
@g6ejd,
Perhaps you didn't pay attention to the quote above ;)

g6ejd

Post by g6ejd »

OK Davx, maybe I'm not understanding then. I seem to have the latest boot loader and can manually select a firmware from the SD_Card, but I have not seen an option to update the bootloader.

What I think I need to do is start the Companion, then go to options, select LUA, then download the firmware and then to upload the firmware via Companion to the Taranis?

Do you think that is correct?

Thanks for your help.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

g6ejd wrote:OK Davx, maybe I'm not understanding then. I seem to have the latest boot loader
If you need the 2 trims, then you don't. The update bootloader function is in the main firmware of course.
Attachments
screenshot-1.png
screenshot-1.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 18627 times
davx

Post by davx »

@Kilrah,
Could it be possible to show the bootloader version number in the VERSION screen on the radio ?
It would help to clear some doubts.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, but it's shown in the bootloader itself... except we forgot to bump the number up.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: OpenTX 2.0 - HQ American English Taranis Sound Pack

Post by MikeB »

I think that is a BAD decision. I know this possibility is unlikely, but it could happen. It only needs to happen ONCE and a 'plane loses control.

If you get a watchdog (or other) reboot while operating a trim (remember the reboot problems on trim operation on the AVR '128), then the Tx will restart in bootloader mode instead of getting back to full control operation.

This is why I chose BOTH trims in the first place.

I VERY STRONGLY RECOMMEND RETURNING TO NEEDING BOTH TRIMS. It is not to be awkward, it is for SAFETY.

The Taranis has 0.1uF capacitors across the trim switches like the 9X has, so a reboot on trim operation may still happen.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It appears thje requirement to use BOTH trims has been removed from the bootloader.

I think that is a BAD decision. I know this possibility is unlikely, but it could happen. It only needs to happen ONCE and a 'plane loses control.

If you get a watchdog (or other) reboot while operating a trim (remember the reboot problems on trim operation on the AVR '128), then the Tx will restart in bootloader mode instead of getting back to full control operation.

I VERY STRONGLY RECOMMEND RETURNING TO NEEDING BOTH TRIMS. It is not to be awkward, it is for SAFETY.

The Taranis has 0.1uF capacitors across the trim switches like the 9X has, so a reboot on trim operation may still happen.

So PLEASE put it back to needing BOTH trims AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
2903nostrand

Post by 2903nostrand »

2903nostrand wrote:Hi I'm Erwin and I'm new in this column. I own a TGY T9X which I modified with a Smartieparts board and flashed open TX into it. The flashing worked 1A so did the programming so far. but now I ran into a problem. On my Durafly Storch I programmed flaps on channel 6 actuated with a 3-way switch. ID0 = 100, ID1 = 4o and ID2 = - 80 all of them down S 1sec, up no delay. What I would like to do, I would like to put a little ELV. into the mix. For example to ID1 10-15% down ELV, to ID 25-30% down ELV. How do I do that?
With the splashscreen I'm trying to put on another Image to greet me when I switch it on. I'm retired so I have a little time on my side(still) If I'm not successful, I think I know where to get some help.

Thank's in advance for all you help!
driedeker

Post by driedeker »

Updated to 2.01 and the 10 second bug is still there on my setup says ten seconds ten times not 10 9 8 7 6 etc
dvogonen

Re: Sv: OpenTX 2.0.0

Post by dvogonen »

I have made an issue report for this. I have experienced reboots with two different radios while using trim (a 9x and a 9xr). The more or less instant restart of the radio saved my skin even if the 3 second restart time for the Orange module in one case took me awfully close to ground.
g6ejd

Post by g6ejd »

I support this proposal, because actuating the two trim method is such a deliberate act, that I could not see any situation where I was flying that I could invoke the feature. By contrast, I have blipped my Tx power before to try a reset and it is feasible that I could be holding a trim whilst doing this, but impossible with the other method.

It is such a infrequent event (unless your a developer :) ) that it warrants being a hard to initiate process IMO.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Bertrand has said he will revert to the BOTH trims method.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

To me it's again favouring something that has one chance in 30 million to happen vs something you use everyday. We never heard of a single reboot on a Taranis, having one where the trim happens to be pressed.
But whatever.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

driedeker wrote:Updated to 2.01 and the 10 second bug is still there on my setup says ten seconds ten times not 10 9 8 7 6 etc
Choose "Voice" as timer countdown mode.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah wrote:To me it's again favouring something that has one chance in 30 million to happen vs something you use everyday. We never heard of a single reboot on a Taranis, having one where the trim happens to be pressed.
But whatever.
Our friend Murphy is always watching.. :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kilrah wrote:To me it's again favouring something that has one chance in 30 million to happen vs something you use everyday. We never heard of a single reboot on a Taranis, having one where the trim happens to be pressed.
But whatever.
Just because you haven't heard of a reboot doesn't mean one hasn't happened. Someone could have been flying and had a 'glitch' where they lost control for a short while. If they didn't look at the Tx (they should be watching the aircraft) would they know they had a reboot?

We are using a system to control a potentially lethal object.
When (not if) your "one chance in 30 million" happens, and the out of control aircraft kills someone, it's too late to say, Oh, perhaps we should have done it differently. If there are 30,000 transmitters being used, your "one chance in 30 million" is already only "one chance in one thousand". OpenTx V2.0 hasn't been being used much yet, and certainly not LUA scripts, compared to previous versions. There may be a greater chance of a reboot (or there may not).

Note also, I pointed out that operating a trim actually increases the likelyhood of a reboot.

I'd rather be safe!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I reverted to the 2 trims method. This choice was fine with me and I am also always afraid of Murphy's law. It will be back in 2.0.2 (should be released tomorrow)
Bertrand

Side note: no need to have a look to the radio during the flight, if a reboot happened when flying, you would see a ! (exclamation mark) in the icon bar until next 'normal' shutdown. Try to remove the battery when the radio is ON and you will see it as well
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would still think you could get a reboot, land, then switch the Tx off without looking at the ICON bar to see the '!'.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You'll lose all wave sounds too, which is very noticeable unless you don't use any, even not the system ones.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:It appears thje requirement to use BOTH trims has been removed from the bootloader.

So PLEASE put it back to needing BOTH trims AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Mike.
Mike you were spot on..
scroll down to post 1086

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 65&page=73

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

jhsa wrote:
But whatever.
Our friend Murphy is always watching.. :D

As I said Murphy is always watching. And never fails ;) :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1092

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Forget about the possible reboot problem for a second. Trim switches fail. In the case of the 2 switch method you would need 2 to fail for the radio to be stuck. With only needing to hold 1 switch you could be stuck with an inoperative radio.
-Gohst
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

that is what probably happened to the guy at RCG.. The problem is gone and he doesn't know why, as far as I understand..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

gohsthb wrote:With only needing to hold 1 switch you could be stuck with an inoperative radio.
With a stuck trim key the radio is inoperative regardless of reboots and bootloaders.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

inebriated post :lol:
Last edited by Scott Page on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “openTx”