OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
jonlowe

Re: OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

Post by jonlowe »

Scott Page wrote:Friend of mine has laptop that never would allow firmware update via zadig and we spend too many sessions trying to manually do it .. jeeze. He always had access when connected turned on so could access his microSD card
So I did the 2.0 update for him on my laptop -- worked like a champ. EXCEPT now his computer won't see the Taranis at all - not even when we get the USB connected in bootloader. Updated to 2.02 bootloader.. no change. Check drive manager -- no drives seen - except we can "hear" the connection be made. Works just fine on my computer. It's a high end **** brand with all USB 3.0 drives. I've decided that his computer must have been made by Spektrum and blessed by Jeti.
No matter I'm on holiday learning to relax. Went to a "glass museum" today. I actually liked it very much.
Sounds like a USB 3 driver issue. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3955
Even if he does not have the Renasas chipset, he should go to the manufacturers website and get later drivers.

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jonlowe wrote:
Scott Page wrote:Friend of mine has laptop that never would allow firmware update via zadig and we spend too many sessions trying to manually do it .. jeeze. He always had access when connected turned on so could access his microSD card
So I did the 2.0 update for him on my laptop -- worked like a champ. EXCEPT now his computer won't see the Taranis at all - not even when we get the USB connected in bootloader. Updated to 2.02 bootloader.. no change. Check drive manager -- no drives seen - except we can "hear" the connection be made. Works just fine on my computer. It's a high end **** brand with all USB 3.0 drives. I've decided that his computer must have been made by Spektrum and blessed by Jeti.
No matter I'm on holiday learning to relax. Went to a "glass museum" today. I actually liked it very much.
Sounds like a USB 3 driver issue. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3955
Even if he does not have the Renasas chipset, he should go to the manufacturers website and get later drivers.
I agree. We started there last Nov or Dec. Tried alternative chip sets in the meantime, returned to the manufacturers. So: "been there, done that over and over is the case" He's very tech savvy, was his job until retirement last year - which makes this particularity frustrating. If it were my computer I'd be raze the HD and re-install from scratch - but that's just me.
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

HC1969 wrote:You're right, are not the same setup, but the error still is.
Please test attached file.
with me (timer2) say: 30s, 20s, 10s, 10s, 10s, ...
Now I see the problem, it will be fixed soon... watch https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/1273
projectkk2glider@github
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

dinamich wrote:
Now I see the problem, it will be fixed soon... watch https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/1273
We have a solution. That apparently is intended behavior with Beeps type of countdown counter. If files timer10.wav, timer20.wav, timer30.wav files are present, then they are played here instead of beeps. If you remove them, ti will work as expected.

You might even want to leave timer20.wav, timer30.wav files to get 20 and 30 seconds voice announcements instead of beeps.
projectkk2glider@github
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

dinamich wrote:
Thank you! I wait for fix (required for both functions). :)
http://rc.emiter.hu/ (MegaSound 9X, GCL-2, FrSky-RSSI-DAC, etc.) Keress fel!

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Please write a brief description of how to use the "checklist" feature.
Where to place a "text" file? What is the name of the file?
The internal format?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

modelname.txt (the name of the model in question, then) in the MODELS folder.
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Kilrah wrote:modelname.txt (the name of the model in question, then) in the MODELS folder.
Thanks work! :)
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Thank you for Hungarian voice setup in FW 2.0.3, but should also be followed for the Companion. :)
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I can't find clear step by step instructions to upgrade my Taranis to the latest version 2.03, the Open TX software is installed and updated, but cant get the flash to work.
Previously I did upgrade to version 1.1.02, but this time I cant get the boot loader to work, what else do I need to upload
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

HC1969 wrote:Thank you for Hungarian voice setup in FW 2.0.3, but should also be followed for the Companion. :)
Fixed for 2.0.4
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

1.1.02 is not OpenTx -- It's "Firmware-Taranis X9D". This does not have a bootloader.
Get your firmware from http://www.open-tx.org/ in the download section if you want OpenTx (and you do).
From that site download:
  • Zadig 2.1.0 driver installer for Taranis flashing
    OpenTX Companion 2.0.3
The firmware is integrated into Companion - so you'll access it from
6-19-2014 9-10-21 AM.jpg
6-19-2014 9-10-21 AM.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 16947 times
6-19-2014 9-10-45 AM.jpg
Now use this post for help with the install (there are other instructions elsewhere as well)
Check http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=8338

There is an active thread on 2.0 @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2178865
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Thanks to the support of the Hungarian voices the Companion 2.0.4, but the server can not be downloaded (hu)!
Please fill up this way: http://file.emiter.hu/file/Modellezes/T ... ka_V16.zip
Is it possible for me to upload the updates?
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Just upgraded openTX companion 2.0.4 and juhuuu! playing sound under the special functions is now working (Win 7) - THANKS!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

HI Scott Page and everyone,
My new Taranis Radio, (Firmware Version: OPentx-x9d-v1.1.02) is not connecting to OpenTX version 2.0.3 through the USB STM32 BOOTLOADER
and/or the STM32 device driver on my Win7 64 bit Computer.
It says it dose not have the Drivers for the USB STM32 device driver and when I try to install them (Zadig 2.1.0 driver installer) it says an Error has happened.

Why is this happening and how do I correct the problem ? :?:

My Sky9x Radio connects using SAM-BA USB drivers with no trouble, but the new Taranis dose not using DFU-Util (dfu-util-static.exe).

Bob
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

You need to run zaddig for any new radio you use on the system.

What is the error you get?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

It says zadig_2.1.0.exe fails.

When trying to install Zadig USB driver Installation: The driver installation failed.

I was able to uninstalled Virtual COM Port Driver (STMicroelectronics)
and Reinstalled it (stm32_vcp_v1.3.1_64 Bit extracted: VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe).
And I have some kind of connections now, But seem to have bugs in it.
Its not the same as my 9x and Sky9x Radio's using eepe and eePskye eeprom editor's.
Also I have not used Mike's BootLoader yet, so this is new to me too.

I may be looking at old and/or not updated instruction to how to connect the Taranis to Companion9x / OpenTx.

I am not sure why zadig_2.1.0.exe driver installation is failing. :?:

Also the Wizard Lua script for OpenTX 2.0 Is this something I need on the SD card in my new Taranis ?

Bob
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hi Scott

Thank you for your support and for all the really nice work you do.

I am still unable to upgrade my Taranis from version 'b' firmware (x9d-v1.1.02) to version Open Tx version 2.0.X

I have updated the Open Tx up to version 2.0.5

Before all this I updated my Taranis to version 'b' (x9d-v1.1.02) using the DfuSe Demonstration software, as the Companion9X could not flash the software, (same as now).

The EEPROM reading and writing is working correctly, so the DfuUtil is obviously working OK

I have upgraded the DfuUtil to what I believe is the latest version, (0.7)

If I understand correctly the Boot Loader will be installed on the Taranis during the first flash upgrade, and later the Boot Loader is invoked during power up by holding the Rudd' and Elev' trims towards center

It is the first flash upgrade that does not work for me.

Trying to burn the firmware (Big Flame Symbol) after plugging in the USB with the Taranis switched On or Off, the computer acknowledges that the USB is connected, however I get;

Dfu Util 0.7
-
-
-
Cannot open device, Exit code1

As already stated above, the EEPROM reading and writing is working correctly.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I will be away from home until August.(traveling to the USA), so there is no great urgency.

I love the Taranis radio, especially the OpenTx software and am looking forward to the improved features especially, the vario sound, as I fly Scale Gliders besides other models.

Thanks

Daniel
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Daniel wrote: The EEPROM reading and writing is working correctly, so the DfuUtil is obviously working OK
EEPROM does NOT use dfu-util.

If you have a working "DfuSe Demonstration" setup (seems to be the case for both of you) the best is probably to download the dfu-packaged OpenTX version provided on the OpenTX Downloads page:
For people wanting to upgrade a Taranis from a pre-2.0 version (either OpenTX or the FrSky firmware) and who have a working “DfuSe Demonstration” flashing setup (as per FrSky instructions), a copy of OpenTX 2.0.5 packaged in a .dfu file is available here.
This is standard OpenTX in English with no options, once this is flashed you'll have the bootloader installed, can flash the version you like and can forget about dfu-util or DfuSe Demo from then on.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hi Scott
The Open-Taranis-2.0-Dfu did load the boot loader via the DfuSe Demonstration software.
The EEPROM was then converted and all looked good.
In the Taranis the INPUTS included more then the old four input sticks, this was good.
The Boot loader did start when invoked and three options appeared, can't remember the names of the first two, but the last was EXIT.
I run the first option I think it was to CONVERT.
Then connected to OpenTx and burned the latest software.
After this the boot loader screen froze and nothing could be selected, not even the EXIT
Turning the Taranis OFF did not power it down and the boot loader screen remained frozen.
In desperation, I disconnected the battery, this turned everything off, but since then the Taranis does not turn back on.
I even removed the internal 'button' battery, then replaced it but nothing will start the Taranis.
It appears I may have “Bricked” my Taranis.
Does this mean that I need a new processor /screen board.
Sorry to land this on you but any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks'
Daniel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Unless you have a hardware failure, then plugging the USB in with the Taranis powered OFF, should always get you to the DFU bootloader.
Try going back to using the DfuSe Demo and re-loading Open-Taranis-2.0-Dfu.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I no longer hear the sound from my computer when plugging in the USB like it used to, either powered on or off, it always sounded to acknowledge the USB connection, but nothing now
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

P.S. Even trying to run the DfuSe Demonstration software again will not work, since the field: "Available DFU Devices" remains blank after plugging in the USD cable
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Turn power off, disconnect the battery, leave it disconnected, and plug the USB cable.
If then you still don't have the "USB connected" sound and nothing appears in the device manager then the hardware is faulty indeed, either connections or the processor itself. Checking all plugs are properly inserted could help.

Maybe try another USB cable and another PC before starting to dismantle :)
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for that tip, with the battery disconnected, the USB connection was established and runing the DfuSe Demonstration software again also worked, but can't exit from the boot loader screen, either before or after burning the flash from OpenTx.
If I try and Flash from OpenTx, then I cant turn the TX off and so on.
For now, I again reinstalled the boot loader and left it at that, turned the TX off and all is more or less normal, it shows version 2.0.5 (latest)
Therefore for now there appears to be no need to burn the latest firmware from OpenTx
All the models are still in the EEPROM and the settings look O.K on the screen at least.
To read models, (EEPROM),the boot loader also needs to be invoked and all is still good.
So after all my Taranis is not a brick and I am very grateful.
Now I'll need to learn how to do the vario to sound like it did on the demo video's and test that all my programmed models behave themselves.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance so far.

Daniel
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Daniel wrote:either before or after burning the flash from OpenTx.
What EXACTLY are you trying to flash from within companion, and with what method?
Staying stuck when exting the bootloader would suggest you're somehow managing to flash a wrong file that is not a valid firmware despite the checks. When the bootloader exits it tries to run whatever was flashed, but as that's not a firmware it stays stuck.

Anyway, if it now works... for the record the supplied dfu file is not just the bootloader, it's a fully working OpenTX WITH the bootloader included.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you for all your help
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Done
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Tested the upgraded transmitter today with a model, everything appears to be functioning as before, all good.

Thanks again for your patience, this is a steep learning curve, especially due to the vagaries with different Microsoft platforms and the often obscure USB behavior.

For future updates I will still need to use the DfuSe Demonstration software and hopefully the Open-Taranis-2.0-Dfu utility will be updated and continue to be available for those who experience problems with the Taranis crashing after attempting to do subsequent updates through the OpenTx software.

Nanny thanks

Daniel

Return to “openTx”