OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

Post by bertrand35 »

jhsa wrote:that is asking for some scalers as in er9x/ersky ;) :)

João
On telemetry bars?

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Kilrah wrote:The way bars are designed there is only an 8-bit value available (256 possibilities) to store the min and max.
Allowing up to 20'000 means that we'll lose precision on the mostly used small values. We'd have to do 100mAh steps, not sure guys with 500mAh batteries will be happy...

Anyway this should be all redesigned for a future version. In the meantime we'll have to choose which is least annoying... 100mA steps could probably be OK.
It's only precision for the bar max, not the precision for the bar itself, 100mAh will be ok, I change again now.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

But the same scaling is also used for custom switches etc on stock, no?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

True, I forgot the 9x stock. I think 100mAh will be ok though.
oiseau

Post by oiseau »

Hey guys, I upgraded to nightly and I'm enjoying the new changes :)

The only thing I've noticed is I can't get my custom sounds to show up in the Special Functions -> Play Track selection menu, only the default ones are there. I could get them in the old openTX, and I can still see them and play them in the file browser in the "long hold menu" screen.

Is this a known issue or some setting that I missed? Thanks!

rilot

Post by rilot »

bertrand35 wrote:
Kilrah wrote:The way bars are designed there is only an 8-bit value available (256 possibilities) to store the min and max.
Allowing up to 20'000 means that we'll lose precision on the mostly used small values. We'd have to do 100mAh steps, not sure guys with 500mAh batteries will be happy...

Anyway this should be all redesigned for a future version. In the meantime we'll have to choose which is least annoying... 100mA steps could probably be OK.
It's only precision for the bar max, not the precision for the bar itself, 100mAh will be ok, I change again now.
Superb. You guys are just the best. Imagine Futaba or Spektrum being so responsive to change requests like these.
I love OpenTx. You guys deserve many beers on us lot.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

oiseau wrote:Hey guys, I upgraded to nightly and I'm enjoying the new changes :)

The only thing I've noticed is I can't get my custom sounds to show up in the Special Functions -> Play Track selection menu, only the default ones are there. I could get them in the old openTX, and I can still see them and play them in the file browser in the "long hold menu" screen.

Is this a known issue or some setting that I missed? Thanks!
Names too long? Now the maximum is 8 chars (compromise to allow 64 functions ...)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Sounds in model name folder issue:

I found that default sounds (ie. SA-up.... etc) will not work in a model name folder if the name has a space.

So if the model is named "green" and the sound folder is named "green" it works find
If the model and sound folder are named "green f" then the default sounds don't work. Have not tried any other special characters.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You need to replace spaces with underscores if I remember well.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:You need to replace spaces with underscores if I remember well.
This is what I did of course. When documentation is written this would be a good foot note to include. It's no problem for me → was past that in a flash → but I know a bunch of users (too many) who will belabor over a little thing like this in RCG for weeks. (I'm sorry I'm a little jaded today).
seagovernor

Post by seagovernor »

Hi there
I just registered to report what I just found something wrong in May 5 version.
In logical switches, on the function such as a=x, a>x, a<x etc, there are something wrong in V1 values.
In CompanionTX and Tx simulation these show [I1]Thr, [I2]Ail, [I3]Ele, [I4]Rud, Thr, Ail, Ele, Rud so on, but
in Taranis radio it shows I1, I02, I03, I04, Thr, Ail, Ele, Rud......
Thanks
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Had the inputs name/ description been set?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
seagovernor

Post by seagovernor »

Learning a lot.
After setting the input names, it shows correctly.
Thanks
cjklingman

Post by cjklingman »

I downloaded the Open TX Companion 1.99 and the associated files, and have looked everything over fairly carefully.
(Working only with the Companion and without installing the .bin on a Taranis since mine is due next week.)

There are a lot of significant changes!

Is the whole Taranis community on board with these changes? Is FrSky going to start providing this software with their radios?

Or is this a branch that has many great features but not generally used by the greater number of Taranis users?

These changes are fine with me since I haven't started working my radio yet, but I think a lot of Internet knowledge doesn't apply any more, and this might upset some people.

All I want is a Taranis that is representative of all Taranises, so that the Internet knowledge out there is applicable to my radio.

Thank you for your patience with my questions.

C. J. Klingman
South Fork, CO
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Taranis runs opentx.

Opentz gets new up dates based on user feedback and requests.

Once the new version of opentx is released, you can optionally upgrade your radio to the latest release.

This process is no different to choosing to upgrade from windows xp, to windows vista. Over time - the new version will become the one everyone has.

There is no harm you sticking with what you get as stock, and never upgrading.

Up to you! All your own choice!

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Rob Thomson wrote:Taranis runs opentx.

Once the new version of opentx is released, you can optionally upgrade your radio to the latest release.

This process is no different to choosing to upgrade from windows xp, to windows vista. Over time - the new version will become the one everyone has.

Did I miss something? What is this in reference to?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Scott Page wrote:
Rob Thomson wrote:Taranis runs opentx.

Did I miss something? What is this in reference to?
Yes. Post was not yet approved as a new member! :)

cjklingman

Post by cjklingman »

Yes, I routinely upgrade the operating system and various programs on my computer and never think anything about it.

But this upgrade to Taranis is a little bigger than that. It's as if my computer keyboard and mouse now work differently on a routine computer update.

The whole operating system of the Taranis is changing it seems to me. Which is fine, as long as it's universally accepted, particularly by FrSky.

I'm particularly worried about the steps necessary to upgrade Taranis to Version 2.0. It seems that the first installation of 2.0 firmware will have to be done with the old USB driver, before shifting over to the Companion 2.0 built-in method of flashing new firmware. Having done neither yet, I can only hope I'll figure things out when the time comes. There sure is a lot of discussion on the Internet of troubles with USB communication.

In any case, these are good problems, not bad ones, and I am looking forward to staying onboard with the latest improvements.

As an aside, I sure hate all the 'long press' and 'short press' procedures. I'm sure it's unavoidable with the limited number of input keys, but I like to see everything on menus, even if it is a slower way to operate. Puts a big strain on memory to have hidden keystrokes all over the place.

C. J. Klingman
South Fork, CO
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

cjklingman wrote:Yes, I routinely upgrade the operating system and various programs on my computer and never think anything about it.

But this upgrade to Taranis is a little bigger than that. It's as if my computer keyboard and mouse now work differently on a routine computer update.

The whole operating system of the Taranis is changing it seems to me. Which is fine, as long as it's universally accepted, particularly by FrSky.

I'm particularly worried about the steps necessary to upgrade Taranis to Version 2.0. It seems that the first installation of 2.0 firmware will have to be done with the old USB driver, before shifting over to the Companion 2.0 built-in method of flashing new firmware. Having done neither yet, I can only hope I'll figure things out when the time comes. There sure is a lot of discussion on the Internet of troubles with USB communication.

In any case, these are good problems, not bad ones, and I am looking forward to staying onboard with the latest improvements.

As an aside, I sure hate all the 'long press' and 'short press' procedures. I'm sure it's unavoidable with the limited number of input keys, but I like to see everything on menus, even if it is a slower way to operate. Puts a big strain on memory to have hidden keystrokes all over the place.

C. J. Klingman
South Fork, CO
I've got just the thing for you. It will cost more than the Taranis - but you have the more incredible transmitter out there for only about $500 including the Taranis. First you need a Tablet that runs Windows 8.1 I'm using the Dell Venue8 Pro.
Then you need the Tablet mount from Hobby King
53705.jpg
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ystem.html
Now you connect the transmitter to the top mounted tablet anytime you want to do any programming and you can use a real bluetooth keyboard and mouse and forget about the long press and short press. Of course you'll also have the ability to play music, record audio, surf the Internet (if there is wifi at your field) take pictures or video of the flight, and skype -- all while flying. Ya -- Futaba 18mz... beat that!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

If any consolation.

I recently upgraded a radio - it was 100% painless. :)

One small point. IMHO, it is actually of little relevance if opentx upgrades are or are not accepted by frisky.

They do not control the open source project. Remember - opentx also runs on other platforms - not just taranis.

However... That being said. Frsky and the opentx team are in regular contact. Many new features are in-fact bow in place to support new frisky hardware. So... Yes. They are onboard.

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

rdeanchurch wrote:
Kilrah wrote:That document is far from complete at this point. It's basically same as for flight modes on current release, with names "SA-up" "SA-mid" "SA-down" "LS1-on" "LS1-off" etc.
Do I understand this correctly?

The model is named....Omega
In a folder in SOUNDS/lang/Omega/
put in tracks named
Launch-ON.wav (for FlightMode1)
SA-up.wav
SA-mid.wav
One more question regarding this.

I expected that !SA-down would also be an option,
It isn't working for me. I use it for dual rates on a 3 position switch.

But is it meant to? It is not working in 8May build if it was meant to.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No it's not.

Sent via mobile
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

:oops: Wow!
So can I take that as a definite, firm maybe? :mrgreen:
Dean
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

rdeanchurch wrote:
rdeanchurch wrote:
Kilrah wrote:That document is far from complete at this point. It's basically same as for flight modes on current release, with names "SA-up" "SA-mid" "SA-down" "LS1-on" "LS1-off" etc.
Do I understand this correctly?

The model is named....Omega
In a folder in SOUNDS/lang/Omega/
put in tracks named
Launch-ON.wav (for FlightMode1)
SA-up.wav
SA-mid.wav
One more question regarding this.

I expected that !SA-down would also be an option,
It isn't working for me. I use it for dual rates on a 3 position switch.

But is it meant to? It is not working in 8May build if it was meant to.
Of course you'd use !SA↓ in the functions - but you'd use SA-mid and and duplicate .wav for SA-up.
ChristianGeek

Post by ChristianGeek »

Rob Thomson wrote:This process is no different to choosing to upgrade from windows xp, to windows vista.
I sincerely hope not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Scott Page wrote: Of course you'd use !SA↓ in the functions - but you'd use SA-mid and and duplicate .wav for SA-up.
Yes I understand difference on Switches and Sounds/en/model

But then High rates plays three times if i use up for some other purpose.
Its a small price for the savings of Functions, just not what i had expected....a lack of symmetry.

Not terrible bad...

I just switched SA-mid to high rates. Now it only plays twice.
....liveable, but not quite as consistent as anticipated.
Dean
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Don't get it. If you only want it to play once then don't duplicate... That way it won't sound when you get to the 3rd position.

Sent via mobile
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:Don't get it. If you only want it to play once then don't duplicate... That way it won't sound when you get to the 3rd position.

Sent via mobile
If you flick it to the middle it will play. If you flick past the middle it will play. it will only play twice if you flick slowly.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

If you move it to the middle it plays.
Now move to the top position for a different function, fine.
Now back to the middle, it plays.

Two plays, no change in high rates.

It is not a very big deal. I'll take it over going down the list at model selection any-day.
Dean
dwheel

Post by dwheel »

Yesterday (May 10) I flashed the nightly build for 1.99 to my Taranis. When I turned it on, I noticed that the setup pages for Logical Switches and Telemetry had been over written by what appears to be random data. I reflashed the build for May 9 and the pages were back to normal. This morning (May 11) I flashed todays nightly build and the same thing happened. Is this a bug, or is there something I need to do before or after flashing?

Return to “openTx”