DSM2/DSMX hack module binding problem

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
whiteglint143

DSM2/DSMX hack module binding problem

Post by whiteglint143 »

Hi all, I have built the DSM2/DSMX hack module using components from my DX4e for my Taranis. I am able to bind to DSMX receivers just fine but I cannot bind to older DSM2 only receivers including Lemon 6ch's, Spektrum AR6110e's, or Spektrum AR6000's. I turn those RX's on with bind plug installed (LED flashes rapidly), I enter bind mode on the radio then the RX LED starts a slow flash then goes dark and does nothing. Since the RX responds but never finalizes the bind, I believe there might be some sort of bug in the code since I saw others using DSM2 mode.

I followed these guides:

http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com and http://blog.sp3cialk.com/spektrum-dsm2d ... ck-module/

And I am using the Taranis 9D+ on the latest version of OpenTx with internal module off, external module on and tried DSM2 DSM2, DSM2 LP45, and DSM2 DSMX settings along with walking to the other side of my apartment. I can use my DM9 module to bind to all of the receivers so I know they work but it is DSM2 only and has issues with my inductrix and um stryker. Again, I am able to use the hack module with DSMX receivers with no issues so I am not sure what could be wrong.

Am I missing something?

Kilrah

Re: DSM2/DSMX hack module binding problem

Post by Kilrah »

If the module binds to DSMX then it means it's not getting the DSM2-only flag and should be autoselecting DSM2 when needed.

I believe newer DX4e's are DSMX-only since DSM2 isn't EU-compliant anymore since 2016.
whiteglint143

Post by whiteglint143 »

Bummer, I bought the model it came with in mid 2016. I have the DM9 module still. I suppose I can do a little tomfoolery and build a manual switch between the dsmx and dsm2 modules. I wish modules plugged in like PCI slots

My motivation for building the hack module came from an issue with my inductrix. It would seemingly lose the bind every time I powered up the model with my DM9.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Or you could just use a multiprotocol module. Not many still bother with the hack module since that's available pretty much out of the box.
whiteglint143

Post by whiteglint143 »

I am so behind the times haha. I just upgraded from a Futaba 9C and I got that in 2013.

Return to “openTx”