Keeping two radios in sync w/ OpenTX 2.2.1 and Companion

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
krby

Keeping two radios in sync w/ OpenTX 2.2.1 and Companion

Post by krby »

A friend has two QX7 radios, and wants to be able to keep them in sync. Specifically, he wants the models on each radio to be the same. The idea is he has a backup radio in case something happens to one, or while he's flying model 1, he can give someone else his backup radio to go fly model 2, knowing it is all setup, trimmed, etc.

The workflow so far is to always make changes in Companion, then write settings to each radio. I have some concerns and questions about this:
- Is there any reason trim would need to be different on two different radios? I'm assuming if model 1 on Radio A needed "3 left clicks of medium trim" then the same would be true of the same model on the Radio B.

- Are there radio specific global settings that are saved in the OTX file that get written to each radio? What are these? What's the effect of copying these back and forth? The one off the top of my head was calibration.

- Ideally we'd like the workflow to be:
-- Read from Radio A (to read in the rare field adjustment like trim or gain in a gvar)
-- Make changes to that otx. Save it as the new "master OTX"
-- Write the "master OTX" to both radios.

Any hints or help in doing this is appreciated.

Kilrah

Re: Keeping two radios in sync w/ OpenTX 2.2.1 and Companion

Post by Kilrah »

That will lead to wrong stick calibration and general settings (the whole radio setup menu) if those were different.

You should read master radio and disconnect, save, read slave radio, copy general settings from slave radio's window, paste them into master radio window, write to slave radio. Then either save that as a new file for slave you could later get general settings from again without reading from radio, or just discard changes.
krby

Post by krby »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 pm You should read master radio and disconnect, save, read slave radio, copy general settings from slave radio's window, paste them into master radio window, write to slave radio. Then either save that as a new file for slave you could later get general settings from again without reading from radio, or just discard changes.
Let me restate that with some of my workflow on top to make sure I understand:
  • Read from master, save it as master.otx,
  • Make changes in Companion master.otx, save file, write to master.
  • Disconnect master
  • Read from slave
  • In newly opened window (document1.otx) copy radio tab from new window to master.otx. Save as slave.otx.
  • Write slave.otx to slave.
From what you said, I could keep a model-less *-radio-setting.otx for both master and slave as well. Then just use those as the source for copying the radio settings to an otx before writing. I guess mentally I need to think about: "copying models" vs "copying radio settings"

Do I have it right?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sounds good.
lshems

Post by lshems »

Why not use the model backup and restore function from the model selection screen?

It is much simpler:

Create model backup, change sdcards, restore backup.

Always in sync, even in the field!

krby

Post by krby »

lshems wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 am Why not use the model backup and restore function from the model selection screen?

It is much simpler:

Create model backup, change sdcards, restore backup.

Always in sync, even in the field!
But this means backing up and restoring each model 1-by-1? My workflow is to mostly edit in Companion, but sometimes things get changed at the field, so I read from radio, make changes in Companion, write to radio.

Return to “openTx”