Turnigy 9X - AFHDS 2A

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
dfgeorge

Turnigy 9X - AFHDS 2A

Post by dfgeorge »

I have just purchased a Turnigy 9X, which now comes with a AFHDS 2A module:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x- ... ystem.html

I have flashed with the latest open TX, works great.

I would like to setup failsafe and PCM mode on a TGY-iA6B V2 receiver. As these seem to be over the air functions, how can I do this with OpenTX?

Kilrah

Re: Turnigy 9X - AFHDS 2A

Post by Kilrah »

The module is PPM only, so it does not support setting anything from the radio.

Maybe it has an undocumented way to set failsafe using the button...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The stock firmware, the radio ships with, does include a PCM option and a failsafe setting option. I have asked elsewhere already as to whether setting the radio to PCM allows you to set the failsafe on the Rx, but, so far, I haven't had a reply.
Even knowing if that works, it would then still be necessary to find out how the PCM signal is coded, and then generate it in open source firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I doubt it, and even if they somehow reimplemented decoding of the old Futaba PCM the firmware sends in their module it still wouldn't allow doing the various AFHDS2A-specific settings like the receiver output mode he needs.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have any idea what the PCM coding is? I have captured the signal on a logic analyser, so if I knew what it is, I might be able to see if failsafe data is sent.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I expect it to be Futaba PCM given the attempted similarity of their software to Futaba but never really checked (and haven't owned a working 9x for years), would only have been useful with a MHz module and matching PCM receiver and yes would have carried failsafe (no point to have settings on the radio otherwise).

There is some documentation to be found about Futaba PCM as far as I know for comparison.
Still won't help with the extra flags needed by AFHDS2A.

IMO the continuation of the 9x with that module is to have a "bottom of the barrel" offer, obviously with features that are limited to irrelevancy for the price.
dfgeorge

Post by dfgeorge »

Thanks, I'll try flashing the original firmware and see if I can at least setup failsafe on the Rx.

Is it possible to setup a TGY-iA6B without using the transmitter?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

So I just had a look at a logic capture of the PCM signal. From something regarding Futaba PCM 1024, I can see this looks to be the same. It will take some decoding though to work out what it actually means. Whether it is then possible to (easily) generate it is another matter.
Since AFHDS2A is supported by the Multi protocol module, I'm not sure all the work to support this is worth the effort.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As said I doubt there is any interest in reimplementing it anyway, chances are almost 0 that the module has support for it.

dfgeorge can easily try it by setting the radio to PCM on original firmware.
dfgeorge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 pm Is it possible to setup a TGY-iA6B without using the transmitter?
Not that I know of.
german71

Post by german71 »

dfgeorge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 am I have just purchased a Turnigy 9X, which now comes with a AFHDS 2A module:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x- ... ystem.html

I have flashed with the latest open TX, works great.

I would like to setup failsafe and PCM mode on a TGY-iA6B V2 receiver. As these seem to be over the air functions, how can I do this with OpenTX?
Hi, could you please tell us what version opentx did you use it......thanks

Return to “openTx”