own Remote with OpenTX

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
RClab

own Remote with OpenTX

Post by RClab »

First of all, I love my X9d+ with OpenTX! Great work from the OpenTX team.

Now I would like to build my own tiny remote that runs the latest OpenTX Firmware. I found a lot of Mega2560 radio projects. Also finding it as a Target in the Companion app lets me think I can run the latest OpenTX version? But is there is a newer better solution to build an own radio with newest OpenTX support and maybe a faster processor like an STM32?

So maybe someone has some links or hints for me to build an own transmitter with a newer and faster processor?
Or is the Mega2560 project still good to go to?

greetings Florian

Kilrah

Re: own Remote with OpenTX

Post by Kilrah »

There was the ARUni board which was great but it's been unavailable for ages now.

Some people have used spare Taranis QX7 mainboards, but they're not tiny. That said, a MEGA2560 setup isn't either so the QX7 is probably already a better choice.

Might need to manufacture something custom otherwise.
RClab

Post by RClab »

ARUni Board would be great, but don't think it will be back soon...

I want to build a small radio, so QX7 is no option. If so I would just use a QX7 ;)
If I go with the Mega2560 I would use a small Mega 2560 PRO board like https://robotdyn.com/catalog/boards/meg ... 2560_16au/

But the first question is: 2560 still up to date or are there better stm32 Projects out there?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The thing with the mega2560 is that you have to add everything separately (LCD, audio, SD, module control circuitry...) so by the time you add that and the necessary wiring it gets big again.

I do not know of another existing "ready to use" documented project though.

Return to “openTx”