original taranis firmware 1.something.

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
GoGoMan12

original taranis firmware 1.something.

Post by GoGoMan12 »

Is it worth taking the chance upgrading to the newest firmware?

kalle123

Re: original taranis firmware 1.something.

Post by kalle123 »

Hi, which firmware are you using at the moment and what hardware?

See an overview here .... http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html

As I myself don't have a FrSky Horus and Taranis Q X7, I am still with 2.1.9. Rock stable and solid. ;)
rcdiy

Post by rcdiy »

With any firmware change make sure you do a backup using companion.
“Read/Write” menu:
Backup Radio to File: Read the EEPROM contents (model and transmitter settings) from the transmitter directly into a file. This is the preferred way to backup the transmitter and model settings as it will be saved “as is” without OpenTX companion processing it.
Read Firmware from Radio: Back up the firmware that is currently on the transmitter to a file. This recommended prior to writing firmware to the transmitter.
RCdiy.ca
Stay Safe & Have Fun
OpenTX Manual http://rcdiy.ca
Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Your choice of whether the newer versions bring things that are of interest to you. Too many things to list in 4 years of development, so go see the news posts for at least 2.0.0, 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 on www.open-tx.org.
GoGoMan12

Re: RE: Re: original taranis firmware 1.something.

Post by GoGoMan12 »

Kilrah wrote:Your choice of whether the newer versions bring things that are of interest to you. Too many things to list in 4 years of development, so go see the news posts for at least 2.0.0, 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 on www.open-tx.org.
I have version 1.1.02. opentx .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Raptor67

Post by Raptor67 »

Hello Kilah.
It is possible and I dont think the latest FrSky receivers will work with the old firmware on your Taranis. (can someone correct me if I'm wrong?).
Its possible but it can be a pain. I just did it to mine. I have a D9X from about 2 months after it was released. I put the RC hobby on hold for a few years and recently walked back into it. My firmware was also 1.1.02 which presents a problem as the old firmware does not have a bootloader. Upgrading from now on will be a hell of a lot easier as it can now be done directly from the SD card and not involve a PC connected via USB.
Have a look at my thread to see how to do it. Follow the links Jim (jtaylor) gave me. he nailed down the exact sites I would need for me.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10754
Expect to spend a couple of hours getting your head amount it and getting it done.
rcdiy

Post by rcdiy »

If one has an old boot loader then
- place firmeare on SD card (using a PC and card reader)
- sd card in tx
- use SD Card screen and browse to the file
- long press enter on the file
- select "Flash bootloader"
RCdiy.ca
Stay Safe & Have Fun
OpenTX Manual http://rcdiy.ca
Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.
Raptor67

Post by Raptor67 »

rcdiy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm If one has an old boot loader then
- place firmeare on SD card (using a PC and card reader)
- sd card in tx
- use SD Card screen and browse to the file
- long press enter on the file
- select "Flash bootloader"
Thats the thing. The old firmware on the Taranis does not have a bootloader and the companion software wont talk to it easily pre 2.0 firmware. So no easy way to do it. You have to jump though some hoops to get Companion software to talk to it, then upgrade the firmware. Its doable but it can be a pain specially if you have several models that may need upgrading in steps.

Return to “openTx”