Alternative Cross-Trims Implementation

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
mtwomey

Alternative Cross-Trims Implementation

Post by mtwomey »

This is a slightly different take on cross-trims (as seen here: OpenTX / Taranis CrossTrims Function).

Provides the following:
  • Easy / quick way to enable / disable cross-trims
  • Visually, the trims still show up under the sticks they're affecting
  • Can be assigned globally or as a special function per model
  • Doesn't impact any other setting in the radio (just switches the buttons effectively)
Pull request here if anyone is interested. Comments / questions welcome.

jhsa

Re: Alternative Cross-Trims Implementation

Post by jhsa »

I don't use openTX but I would like to give my opinion on this.

I wouldn't want an (not so) easy way to enable / disable cross-trims, and I wouldn't certainly use them per model.
I can imagine I would forget which trim does what if I had different models set with different trims configurations. This could lead to some bad situations, specially if flying fast aircraft or helis..
But as i said, it is only MY opinion, and it isn't even the firmware I use. So, I guess I feel safe :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mtwomey

Post by mtwomey »

Yeah, fair point. I'm suggesting it only as an option. If you don't assign it anywhere (either to a global or model function), it has no effect. Meaning, you have to go through the process of setting it up - so there is little or no danger if you have no interest in it. Incidentally, if you wanted to avoid the possibility of accidentally changing it while in flight - you'd just not assign it (or assign it as "always on" instead of to a switch).

The initial reason I worked this out was actually to avoid confusion. I disliked the fact that when I assign different trims to a stick (using the standard method - which is per model), I found it difficult to quickly confirm what was going on between different models - because visually on the screen you're moving the trim to the left of the rudder - but it's actually impacting the ailerons. This implementation avoids that - the trim sliders (on the screen) are always affecting the sticks they're next to, the only thing that's changed is the buttons that control them.

[Edit] Also - just a note, in my first implementation of this, I had it as a global setup menu option (instead of a custom function). However, doing it as a function allows it to be used either globally or per model or not at all).
Last edited by mtwomey on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

mtwomey wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm(just switches the buttons effectively)
Unfortunately trims and trim keys are available and can act in way too many places for that implementation to be even remotely acceptable.
mtwomey

Post by mtwomey »

It simply changes which physical switches are used to control which trim sources. It doesn't change anything that uses those sources - however, I can understand the concern.

Return to “openTx”