X9D/X8R initial positions on powerup

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
jesse59672

X9D/X8R initial positions on powerup

Post by jesse59672 »

I am using a X9D and X8R, and upon powering up it sets my actuators to a position. This occurs when the X9D is turned off and power is only given to the X8R and actuators. This is not desirable, and I was wondering how I go about disabling that feature. If it cannot be disabled I would like to at least define what position the actuators are set to upon power up. The actuators are controlled on the pots knobs. Thanks!

Kilrah

Re: X9D/X8R initial positions on powerup

Post by Kilrah »

If the radio is off it can't be doing anything, and the X8R does not provide any signal until it received something from the radio. What' you're seeing is the random blip that some servos do when power is applied.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Would setting the Failsafe feature in the X8R, fix his problem ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No. That only comes into play in case of loss after a first contact was had.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Always turn on the transmitter FIRST.

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Daedalus66 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:53 pm Always turn on the transmitter FIRST.
This is a basic safety habit.
On an electric, turning on the receiver first can cause the prop to spin.

Always turn ON the transmitter FIRST.
Always turn OFF the transmitter LAST.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This was always rule number one in RC.

But now with all those toys out there making people do things wrong, new people to the hobby do get really confused..
I absolutely refuse to use those things that only work if you turn the rx ON first.. Good that with the multiprotocol module we can bind with a switch, after turning the radio ON first, otherwise I wouldn't be using most of the c``p currently sold.. :)
I miss the time we had to learn the safety rules before we even touched the transmitter..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Note that this doesn't prevent the blip, the servos just move to the desired position afterwards.
jesse59672

Post by jesse59672 »

Thank you for all of your replies. I guess I should've been a little more descriptive. The actuators all move to their fully retracted position. They could be all the way extended prior to powering up, and then they retract fully after powering up. So my problem isn't the blip you see when powering servos up. It seems like there is no option for initial position based on what you guys have said. The only other explanation I can think of (basically what Kilrah was saying) is that the receiver doesn't do anything until it receives a signal from the remote, and the actuator's control boards are what are making them move.

Also on the powering order of the transmitter: I always power the transmitter first. The problem is that the employees who will be operating the drone won't necessarily do it the proper way, and I just want to prevent damage from occurring.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Probably the actuators themselves indeed - could have been nice to mention what kind of thing they are.
If they use relative positioning they may need to "home" when powered up.

Return to “openTx”