Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by MikeB »

Yes, "Update Multi". I actually used a .hex file I built using the Arduino IDE.
The bootloader is the same "Optiboot" bootloader I use on the '328, adapted for the XMEGA device.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just tested the bootloader using a FTDI with a 3K3 resistor in the Tx signal from the FTDI and I read the flash memory OK, so that method with the 3K3 resistor) works as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
interestingfellow

Post by interestingfellow »

Dumb question, just so I can make things more difficult:

Can i use a 5v pro mini running on 3.3v to flash the bootloader, or will that screw up communications timing?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes you can.That is what Mike says here (Quoted from the first post on this thread).
Power the module, the Arduino will be powered from the 3.3V from the module.
After a couple of seconds, the LED on the Arduino will flash, around once per second if the bootloader flashed OK, and 5 times per second if it failed.
In theory, the Arduino is running too fast (16KHz) for operation from 3.3V, but it should work, and only needs to flash the module once.
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Hi Mike, it's been awhile since I've asked you for some help.
I'm flying with a friend that's using his 9xr Pro and a new orange tx module with v1.2fw on a label.
He's like many, wanting to fly a HH plane in a box bnf with umx stabilization.

He's not able to work throttle.

This is a common orange problem that he thought this 1.2fw had fixed, but it seems not?
I'll be working with him and from the few posts I've read here so far, it looks like running the the latest ersky9x and updating the orange fw to yours is the answer.
I have a lot of reading here to do to get up to speed enough to help him out.

A few questions to cut to the chase.

This stock 1.2 fw that comes with the latest orange module hasn't fixed the umx throttle not working?
Yours does?

The latest ersky9x should be used in any case and it also supports the orange module and your fw upgrades?

For me, I have 2 of the second versions of the original orange module release that fixed a loss of one channel unless the timing was changed in ersky9x.
They were free replacements for the 1st gen that had issues.
The antenna I believe on all 4 I have are still on ufl connectors.
I haven't checked the pc board color but I will as I read all the thread posts.

So the question,
Will your fw flash and work on these early 1st gen modules and is it possible that the hardware was the same and I can flash the 1st gen modules with updated fw?
If so, I can use these modules in my 9xr pro and 9Xtreme as well as maybe my B & C skyboard th9x conversions?
My club can use some free club trainer tx setups and bnf seems to be the favorite type plane these days.

As always, thank you for all your contributions that make our RC gear work as it should!
SM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe the Multiprotocol firmwre will work on those early modules. The biggest problem is getting the flash of the bootloader done due to needing a PDI programmer, but both the 'PRO and the 9Xtreme should be able to do that if you follow the instructions in the PDF file(s) from the first post.

As far as I'm aware, the Multiprotocol code works fine with the BNF models, although I don't have any of them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

A few points about the history of the Orange module.
1. The first generation lasted about two years, starting in late 2012. The first batch had a firmware problem that affected channel 2, but this was fixed in days. HK sent out replacements in a couple of weeks (without asking for the faulty one back). When later they released the firmware to address the issue of Futaba channel order, it turned out you could simply use it to reflash the original one and fix the problem. I have one of the faulty ones that is still working since I reflashed it.
The Gen1 module had no problem working with UMX receivers.
There was a revision of the hardware in about late 2014 which mounted the antenna directly to a daughter circuit board; this prevented one from mounting the antenna vertically as you could with the original. The firmware remained unchanged.
2. In early 2014, the new and "improved" generation 2 module came out in two versions, with and without switches that allow you to set DSM2/DSMX, channel order, etc. This module had all new firmware. There were several disadvantages, most obviously that neither version worked reliably (if at all) with UMX models.
The v.1.2 firmware came out about 2016 and was claimed to be an improvement, but still didn't fix this incompatibility.

Happily, Mike's hacking of the Orange module to Multiprotocol fixes all this. I've been flying two of these modules, one the switchable and the other a Gen1, for nearly a year with complete success. Range is very good and they are fully compatible with UMX. I use them in a 9XR Pro, 9Xtreme and Taranis QX7, all running ERSky9x.
interestingfellow

jhsa wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm Yes you can.That is what Mike says here (Quoted from the first post on this thread).
In theory, the Arduino is running too fast (16KHz) for operation from 3.3V, but it should work
João
How in the hell did I miss the answer to the exact question I asked? I even read it.
Twice.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It happens to me all the time :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the fw advice. I'll try and give it go asap after reading about the process in detail.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

One more ( of I'm sure many) question. You discuss using a pro mini to first time flash the bootloader. I have a uno board sitting idle I hope to use to educate myself. Can it be used in place of the pro mini and if yes, some help with that please.
I also have several different ftdi devices I bought to use for programming, with instructions, for various forum projects. Usually an add on to some order to fill in the max weight limit on a Banggood or other Chinese order.

Sadly, I'm missing the key ingredient
Mike and others, how to use them.
With guidance however, I usually succeed.

I'm ok with ordering a pro mini to add to my collection if that's the simple solution however.

interestingfellow

the pro mini is the same as any other 328 based arduino but with no usb/serial

I'm not sure if the serial chip on a regular Arduino would interfere with programming the ORx module.
( I haven't actually looked close enough to do this, yet. I'm not ready yet)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'll wait for Mikes reply but your answer makes one important fact, to kiss I'll probably add a pro mini to my collection. It's not the cost, it's adding to my stored collection of devices.
Thanks for the reply.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The Uno will work.. It is basically the same as the pro mini but it has the serial adapter built in.. :) So, you just connect it to the PC with an USB cable..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Will the ports I need be obvious if I compare it to the pro mini?
Is there a voltage issue I need to worry about?
I see there's a pro mini 3.3v and a 5v.
I'm assuming and will read the first thread pages, I want to be at a 3.3v range?
I'll be learning a lot before I do anything.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As far as I can see the UNO should work (I haven't got one to test). The important thing is to ensure it is powered from the 3.3V from the Qrange module, not the 5V from the on board regulator, so only connected to the module.

It looks to me that you connect the 3.3V from the module to either the VIN connection on the power header or the 5V connection on it. I'd try the VIN connection first, and the 5V one if it doesn't work.

The port connections to use are "2" and "3".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That helps a lot. I'm reading up on the pro mini and uno and their differences currently.
I like to see what I'm connecting and why.
Overall it's looking easy and I'll find out soon enough in the next few days.
Got to clean up a space on the "lab" bench and get to work.
I'm going to practice on the older 1st gen orange modules since they were of no use the way they are.
That'll require comparing their board color and pc trace layout to the first posts in this thread.
They have some value because they have the ufl antenna connector at that time.
Off to see what I can accomplish.
Thanks everyone.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Oops, am I in trouble? No dip switches on this module.
Certainly not a multi mode?

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, that is not a multi module :) That is an orange DSM module.
It can be flashed with the "Multi Protocol code", and this is what is all about :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great news! I was confused by the first post pictures showing dip switches.
If I keep reading will I see more pictures like mine? I'll go back to reading.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I found 5 miles from me, a surplus store, All Electronics, that sells the 3.3 and 5 volt pro mini for $4.90 ea.
At this price and stocked locally, I'm going to use a 3.3v pro mini now.
Are the IO2 and IO3 I'm to use referring to pins 2&3 of the 14 pin/pad IO's on the board?
To be sure, if not a bother, what actual pro mini MCU pins will I end up connecting to?
Then I can trace them to the pads.
I have printed out the pro mini schematic and the orange PDF.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm not sure if the 3.3V pro mini will be ok, because it works at 8Mhz instead of 16Mhz.
Also, you will probably only need this for a couple times, and I believe a 5V Pro mini at 16Mhz will have more use for you in the future than the 8Mhz version.
Just my opinion of course.
I know that the 16Mhz at 3.3V is out of specs for the Atmega 328, but I have build a few projects, including Multi modules and frsky DIY receivers, all oscillating at 16Mhz but powered by 3.3V, and they all work.. Actually, the AVR based Multi module that we can buy works exactly like that. And it works :)
I don't think you would have any problem with the 5V version of the Arduino Pro Mini

João

EDIT: I think Mike means the Digital pins 2 and 3 of the arduino. The pin's numbers are marked on the arduino board. No need to follow any schematics.. ;) :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've done some testing using a "Blue" orange module.
I connected it up to my AVRISP-II and erased the flash memory, and I checked it was fully erased.
Next, I took a brand new 3.3V Pro Mini (8MHz), flashed that with the PdiMini program, then connected it to the Blue module:
Signal "2" from the Pro Mini to CLK on the module.
Signal "3" from the Pro Mini to Data on the module.
Signal Gnd from the Pro Mini to Gnd on the module.
Signal Raw from the Pro Mini to VCC on the module.
(Refer to PdiFlashing2.pdf for connections to the module. NOTE that the (Blue) module does need the track cut and wire addition shown in the first post and the pdf file).

I then powered to module through the 5-way module connector (4-cell NiMh in my case), and the Pro Mini flashed the bootloader OK. I think I had a loose connection as I had to do this twice, the first time only 256 bytes were flashed.
I checked with my AVRISP-II programmer it had flashed correctly.

Then I removed all the extra wiring, and put the module into a 9XR-PRO (I had to hand). Started ersky9x in maintenance mode, and using the "Update Multi" option, I flashed the Multi code. I've posted built versions of the code I used on the first post (Provisional 1.1.6.22), one for the "Blue" module and one for the "Green" module.

Starting the 'PRO normally, the module appeared to be working correctly, reporting the firmware was at 1.1.6.22 in the protocol menu.
I then repeated the "Update Multi" operation to check the flashed code dropped out to the bootloader correctly, which it did.

In conclusion, it looks like you may use either a 5V, 16MHz Pro Mini, or a 3.3V, 8MHz Pro Mini to flash the bootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great detailed instructions Mike. I'll print it out and follow it on the schematics then give it a try.
The picture I posted of my test module is blue so I'm going to assume it's like the board in your test flash.
As for the pro mini, I'll visit the store today. Actually both the 3.3v and 5v are shown for sale at the same low price.
I assumed I wanted a 3.3v version when I posted it was available locally.

So having a choice, would I want the faster 5v version as Joāo suggested for future universal projects or the 3.3v, or at $5ea, one of each?

From what I read in the startup first posts info, the 5v version with 3.3v from the module to the mini raw input still worked ok. The advantage was 16 mhz speed. If that's the case, I'm assuming the mini 5v regular passed thru the 3.3v?

On the subject of resonator speed, 8 or 16 mhz. I'm curious why the 5v is 16mhz, and the 3.3v is 8mhz.

So many questions, but I learn so many new things.

In preparation and to be portable,
I loaded eepe and eepskye for windows last night on a laptop I just installed a sshd into. Wow, fast W7 bootup now!
Next I'll be updating ersky9x in my 9xR Pro and 9Xtreme tx. Probably both sky board 9x's while I'm at it.
Mainly to get back in touch with the process since I'll be helping/teaching a friend with his pro and orange module once I'm current again.

Thanks

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I see the digital and silkscreen pad numbers now on this mini board picture.
Pins/pads 2 and 3 would seem to be on the left side below the ground pad.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, bought 1 ea 3.3 & 5v. They have 15 of ea left so I'm covered ha ha.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm getting closer, blue board has mcu pin cut and a wire added from the second pin in the picture to the 5pin module connector pin as shown.
I will be adding the data and clk, vcc to power the 5v raw mini input and ground.
I've made a 90 deg male to male adapter that plugs into the 5pin module port for powering the module when the time comes.
One setback is I've never loaded a sketch into a pro mini board. That will require some help/advice on the program and programmer to use.
Not having a ftdi board I've found a how to using a uno board and that I have. The uno ic is removed to use the board.
Things are going well except for programming the pro mini.

Update
It seems I ordered a ftdi from Banggood some time ago and tracking shows it's still in transit but not lost.

I've installed the Arduino ide program so I'm good there.

If I don't wait for the ftdi board and use the uno board per the utube video, I'll use the 5v pro mini board.
I believe Mike posted that feeding the module 3.3v into the 5v raw input on the mini still worked.
That or I would feed 3.3v to the vcc pad?

Clock and data wires are next

I'm posting my progress for those like me that are struggling.
So far with the help here and Google and utube, I feel like it's going well.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Updated blue with added wires

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Tonight I was able to use a uno
board to program in the blink sketch into my 5v pro mini and modify the blink speed. I'm getting up to speed on the process. "Lab time" ran out but I'm expecting to load Mikes bootloader sketch into the pro mini tomorrow night.
Then load the multi ersky9x bin file into my 9XR Pro and finally program the orange module.

I do have a mini pro voltage question mike.
I know you tested the 3.3v version at 8mhz, but I thinking of staying with the 5v 16 mhz version since it seems to working.
So if I use the 3.3v from the orange module to the pro mini vcc in, will the 16mhz 5v version work ok?
I have to reread all your info but I thought I read where you actually used the raw 5v input and it still worked?

Sorry to be a little dense on the questions, but I'm almost there. No local experts to ask.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, the 5V 16Mhz arduino should work. Connect the 3.3V from the Orange module to the "VCC" pin of the arduino..

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “RF MODULES”