Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by MikeB »

I've just added a new binary for the Orange module on the first post "MultiOrangeBoot.zip", which unzips to give "MultiOrangeBoot.bin".
This contains the Multi code, ver 1.1.6.20, for the Orange module (green), and also has a bootloader included. Don't be surprised to find it it bigger than 32K, the XMEGA device has 36K of flash, 32K for the application, and 4K for the bootloader.
If you want to flash this from your radio, you need to use at least the "c2" r221 test version of ersky9x. This handles flashing the boot area and also sets a fuse to start in the bootloader. You need to still use the "Update XMEGA" option to get this flashed. After that, you may then make use of the bootloader by using the "Update Multi" option. This uses the serial connections used by the module in normal operation to do the flashing, so you may flash the module in the module bay without needing any other connections.

Note that the Multi code includes detection of an attempt to flash the module and drops out to the bootloader. This feature is not in the published Multi code (yet!). In the event you flash a version of the multi code that doesn't have this feature, you may force the bootloader to run by holding the bind button pressed when you power the module on.

The bootloader is a variant of the optiboot bootloader and will also work with a FTDI type device.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Graeme44

Post by Graeme44 »

Hey Mike,

This is awesome, thanks. I was going to hook-up my module the old fashioned way last weekend but ran out of time, when I looked this weekend I see the new MultiOrangeBoot file.

I have however been struggling to flash it to my Green Orange module using a 9xr-pro.
1. I updated firmware of TX ersky9xPro v221c4 using bootloader.
2. I updated bootloader using same file from 1 above using maintenance mode.
Now I'm stuck, I'm not sure what file to be using for the Update XMEGA step - I have tried using the ersky9xPro bin file and the MultiOrangeBoot.zip and both Failed.
I have also tried the Update Multi option using MultiOrangeBoot and that also failed.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Many thanks,
Graeme
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You do the XMEGA step using MultiOrangeBoot.bin extracted from MultiOrangeBoot.zip.
If this fails, please report the numbers you see on the bottom line of the "FAILED" display.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Graeme44

Post by Graeme44 »

Thanks Mike,

It fails instantly when updating XMEGA with MultiOrangeBoot.bin with all zeros on the bottom line. So not much to go on unfortunately.

I am using a Turnigy 9xr pro running: ersky9x-pc4r222 (svn) and bootloader v2.2
Module is an Orangerx with internal telemetry for 9xr-pro.

Graeme
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Graeme44 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:43 pm
I am using a Turnigy 9xr pro running: ersky9x-pc4r222 (svn) and bootloader v2.2

Graeme
Where did you get this version from? I don't know it :) ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

João: That's the "c4" test version, that's the text on the SVN line on the version display. It should probably say r221!

Graeme: I just tested this and it flashed OK for me. With all zeroes on the bottom line, the radio is not reading the signature, so suggests you have a problem with the connections/power to the module.

Please confirm you are following the connections for the 9XR-PRO from "PDIflashing2.pdf" in the first post of this thread (CLK, DATA and GND) and supplying power to the module via the 5-way module connector.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Graeme44

Post by Graeme44 »

I had skipped the step of flashing the XMEGA using the steps in the first post - I miss-read the update post to mean that I could do it all with the module in place. Sorry!

I have now updated the XMEGA using steps in PDIflashing2.pdf, inserted the module into the 9xr-pro and successfully installed Multi protocol.

This is awesome! I have not been able to bind with any of my orange dsmx receivers until today.

Thanks Mike,
Graeme
Jyester

Post by Jyester »

I have a 9xr and I hacked my module into the radio with some help from here!! Are you guys altering orange modules? I have a couple of buddy's who have orange modules that they have issues with i.e. models not binding. Will this flashing help with these not binding situations? I myself have never had a issue with binding. Let me know so I can pass this info along thanks for the good read and keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is a good chance that models that do not bind currently, would then bind correctly if the module is flashed to the Multi code.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's my experience. The Multi protocol fixes the problem.

Various Orange modules are incompatible with certain DSMX receivers, notably those in Ultramicro BNF models. The most common symptom is non-response or erratic response on the throttle channel but in some cases the receiver won't bind at all. Also some of the smaller multirotors models are not compatible with certain Orange modules. Mostly, stand-alone receivers from Spektrum, Lemon and Orange work OK, though there are exceptions.

The solution for most or all of these issues is the MultiOrange firmware. I have two Orange modules, one the switched version and the other the internal antenna telemetry module for the 9XR Pro, both now flashed to Multi Protocol. I haven't yet found a DSM2 or DSMX receiver they don't work with.

The range of the flashed receivers is excellent, comparable with a DX8G2 (note that the range test distance is about half the standard "30 paces" because the power is attenuated more in test mode).

Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Can I flash a green tax module with a Taranis x9d plus using open tx? Also can you give me the steps to reflashing the module? Does the wires from the Taranis go directly to the module? Do I need a special programmer? Thanks a lot
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Is it possible to flash a OrangeRx Tx Module with a Taranis X9D plus with OpenTx? Do I need a special programmer? Do the wires from the Taranis motherboard go straight to the Module? Can you list the posts or steps to do this please? Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think openTx supports the PDI flashing feature. You would need to backup you EEPROM and flash, put ersky9x on the Taranis to do the flashing, then you could replace your openTx EEPROM and flash.
Details of using a Taranis (or plus) for PDI flashing are in the TaranisPb.pdf file in the first post. The two connections may be used for extra switches when not being used for PDI flashing, although again, I don't think openTx supports these.
If you flash "MultiOrangeBoot.bin" to the module, you also get a bootloader on the module. This supports serial updating using only the module connector, and works with a FTDI type device as well as with the serial updating option in ersky9x. This then avoids the need to use the PDI connections again.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Thanks
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

I have a couple questions still. Where do I bridge resistors 1 and 13 to. Also what does JTCK and JTMS go to on the green module? Three wires come from the Taranis Motherboard and there are four pads to connect to on the module. Where is the fourth wire?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You only need to connect to the CLK, DATA and GND connections, leave the VCC (3.3V) pad unconnected.
Power the module using the main, 5-way, module connector.
From the .pdf file:
"For the PDI programming, the JTMS signal is used as the CLOCK and the JTCK signal is used as the DATA. The PDI flashing option is accessed from “maintenance mode” in ersky9x."

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Thanks for the response by I don't know where to jump the two places where the resistors are supposed to go
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

R1 and R13. Look at the image of the green board in PDIflashing2 and you should see resistors fitted (just left of the processor).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Ok now I see them Thank You
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

What file do I use for the flashing? Also what file in your other forum of many many ersky9x files do I use?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

First post of this thread, download "MultiOrangeBoot.zip", extract MultiOrangeBoot.bin and flash that to the module.
In the test versions thread, first post, use the "c7" test version. Download the .zip file and extract x9d_rom.bin for the Taranis, x9dp_rom.bin for the Taranis plus.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Thank You
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

In the maintence menu on ersky9x it says no files on any of the options and the number 1 to the right of the No Files. I put the files in the firmware folder when the Taranis in connected to my computer. Please Help
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Checking you used the "firmware" folder and not the "firmwares" folder.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

There is only a firmwares folder.
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

I did make a Firmware folder and that worked. Now I can't seem to power on the module with a receiver battery consistently. It works with the transmitter but not with a external battery. How did you do it?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just use a 4-cell NiMh battery connected to the 5-way module connector. Counting the pins from the top (as pin 1), power goes to pin 3 (middle pin) and ground to pin 4 (one up from the bottom).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Raptor4167 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:22 am I did make a Firmware folder and that worked.
More info about ErSky9x directories layout for SD card folders: (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9034#p116982).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

So i flashed it and it said "flashing complete" and below it "failed" with a error code of all 0's. Did it work?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No. The first data on the bottom line are the signature of the processor, all 0s indicate this wasn't read, so the flashing fails at that point. Basically, the communication to the processor is not working.

Are you using a Taranis or a Taranis plus?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “RF MODULES”