Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
PXSS

Re: Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by PXSS »

Mike,
I am running the latest version of Arduino IDE. (1.8.5 on Windows 10)
I figured I would ignore them and try to flash the module since my reply was awaiting approval last night and it worked.

When uploading the sketch to the Arduino, it flashes fast for me. Not slow like I was expecting but when I flashed the bootloader onto the module, it flashed slow as expected. I think the confusion arose from when was I supposed to get the slow blinking light, I thought I would get it when uploading the sketch too instead of only when flashing the bootloader.

Either way, flash was successful and I think I updated the firmware successfully too. I am able to choose Multi,dsm,x 11 in the external RF module and get a solid light after binding with my spektrum DSMX RX.

Thanks for the great mod. I'll have you know that it was simple enough for someone with not much experience with RC stuff and zero experience with Arduino to get this working. It was a bit daunting working through the whole flashing of bootloader and firmware on the x9d+ and hoping not to brick anything but I have a much better understanding of how everything works, So thank you!

Now I just need to figure out why none of my control surfaces work....

ShowMaster

Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by ShowMaster »

Is there a orange fw version that fixes the umx receiver issue but keeps the ppm mode Mike?
I was asked this by a 10x owner that wants to stay with Fros on his 10x. I don’t think it supports the multi mode module fw option so he’s limited to ppm mode. I did suggest the IRangeX plus that had the knob for ppm dejection but he owns a blue board HK orange module already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not certain, but if you force the dial selection signals active it may work in PPM mode. This would most likely be possible if you have a module with the DIP switches on it, otherwise it will be a case of finding out which processor pins are used for this and connecting them to ground with wires. You would then only be able to select one of the possible DSM modes (DSM2/DSMX, 11/22mS etc.).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks. It’s a start of things to research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

I'm a little confused on how to update the OrangeRX DSM module using an Arduino Pro Mini. Can anybody explain it a little bit more?

It sounds like I flash an Arduino sketch to the Pro Mini and then I use the Pro Mini to flash the OrangeRX but I'm also confused because it sounds like you only flash a bootloader to the OrangeRX and then use a 9x transmitter (which I don't have) to flash the multi 4in1 code?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for any help...

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You are correct, flash the Arduino sketch to the Pro Mini and then I use the Pro Mini to flash the OrangeRX. This does just flash the bootloader to the Orange module.
The bootloader supports the STK500 programming protocol, so it is possible to flash the module using a FTDI type device from a computer.
The question then is, what Tx do you have? You need one that is running either er9x/ersky9x or openTx that supports the multi protocol.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Mike, thanks for the information.

OK - So the Arduino Pro Mini only flashes the bootloader to the Orange module. I do have some FTDI devices (FT232R breakout boards) so I'm guessing they could be used?

My transmitter is a Taranis FrSky Q X7 (running OpenTx of course).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Why "of course"? Ersky9x also runs on the QX7 and supports flashing the multi module from the Tx.
Because openTx doesn't directly support flashing the multi module, I've created a method where you run an "app" on the radio to do this. The "app" is run from the bootloader. To use it, you need to change the bootloader to the one used by ersky9x, then you get the "Run App" option (I wrote the bootloader originally).
See this post/thread for more details: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 53#p136742.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Oh, I'm sorry! I'm not familiar with ersky9x and had no idea it runs on the QX7. I'll definitely take a look at that!

I will also take a look at the link you provided. I apologize again for my lack of understanding.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No apology needed, many things are not obvious, and possibly not well documented. I need to update the Orange module flashing document to mention the "app" method. I only implemented that a few weeks ago.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Can't update Multi.
I have just updated my 9XR-Pro with the R221 from the er9x/ersky9x home page. No problems. Then I re-flashed my HK ORX transmitter module with Telemetry, using the PDI Mini sketch and my Arduino pro mini. That worked perfectly also. Slow blinking. The PDIFlashing3.pdf doesn't mention which file to use when updating Multi with the module in the bay. When I long press on UPDATE it asks for a file. The file in MultiOrangeBoot.zip and R221 firmware fails every time. Am I doing something wrong. Updating "Multi" just doesn't work.
I need to get COM 1 inverted. The radio works normally on my DSM2 quad and if I check debug screen 9, I get a rapidly increasing left number for telemetry and 0502 on the right. It's very annoying with the radio announcing "No Telemetry" or "Flight Battery low"
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try flashing from one of the .hex files that are in "MultiOrangeP1_1_6_22.zip". If the PCB of you module is green, use the "green" file.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Thanks for the guidance. I just tried the HEX file. Same result. Fails the Multi update flash immediately. Can't figure it out. The module flashes Xmega update using the radio maintenance mode as well as when using the Arduino pro mini. Is there something different about my module? Here is what it looks like.
DSCN6056.JPG
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Here is the insides
DSCN6057.JPG
DSCN6058.JPG
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may need to force the module to stay in the bootloader.
Power on holding the "bind" button pressed to do that. This may be tricky while holding the trims apart at the same time. There is an option in the RADIO|GENERAL menu (near the end) that runs "maintenance mode" from a normal power on. SO, power on holding the "bind" button pressed on the module, then select the "Run Maintenance" option with a long menu press. Then try flashing the module.
I just tried that and it worked, although I think I had to try the flashing twice.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

I held the bind button in and got into maintenance mode as you instructed from the general menu. It still won't update flash Multi. I also tried the trims apart while powering on method. I held the bind button the whole time. Still it fails. I'm desperate. I've never been able to get a Update Multi to work since I flashed Multi almost a year ago. I'm willing to try anything and document all. I notice when I'm in Maintenance mode the module led flashes about 1 per sec. When I press exit a couple of times after a failed multi flash attempt, the radio comes on in normal mode and the led is on steady.
DSCN6059.JPG
DSCN6060.JPG
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tested this again. I powered on hlding the bind button in, the LED is on solid.
Go to the Radio|General menu and select "Run Maintenance".
Then "Update Multi", select file type HEX and then select the file (my module is a "blue" one).
The first attempt at flashing fails, but the second one then works, not sure quite why!

With the radio running, do you see the Multi firmware revision displayed on the "BInd" line of the protocol menu?

I'm running a recent test version of ersky9x (R222A7). I'll try flashing R221 to the radio and retesting later today.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Thanks again for your reply,. I did it multiple times just as you say and it still won't update Multi. I took the module out of it's case again and traced the bind switch. I have a good Fluke 87 VOM with very sharp probes. It's connected to test point 17 and then to ATMEGA32D pin 22 PD2, whatever that is. It takes pin 22 to ground when the button is pushed. Could something in the module be write protected. And Yes, I do see the Multi firmware version on the BIND line.
DSCN6061.JPG
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Here is something else to try.
Go to:http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 676#p65894, and download "ersky9xProvR222a3.zip".
Extract ersky9xr_rom.bin and FlashMulti_atmel.app. Put ersky9xr_rom.bin on your SD card in the "firmware" directory and the FlashMulti_atmel.app in an "APPS" directory (create this).
Now start the radio in "maintenance mode" (horizontal trims held apart), then update the bootloader using the ersky9xr_rom.bin file, then power off.
Next, power on in "bootloader mode" (horizontal trims together) while also pressing the bind button on the module.
From the bootloader, choose "Run App", then select the FlashMulti_atmel.app, then try using that to update the module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

I followed the steps exactly. It still fails update multi but now on the top right of the Multi Options screen it says PRO. I now also have Bootloader 2.9 Ready. As soon as you long press on Run App, it jumps to the FlashMulti_atmel.app. Then to the Multi Options Pro. There I still have to select file type HEX and invert com port yes. I select MultiOrangeGreen_22.hex. Then long press on UPDATE and the dreaded FAILED appears again. Holding in the bind button through the entire procedure makes no difference. Is it possible to Update Multi using the Arduino Pro Mini. Would require a new sketch. That would eliminate any problem with the radio itself.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try without the invert Com port, that was the setting I used when it worked.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

IT FLASHED! So it flashes if COM 1 invert is left on NO. Now what? I need to have Com 1 inverted for telemetry to work. That's the whole reason I need to update Multi. Is there any work around this problem? Maybe use COM 2 instead? We are making progress! That was the first time I ever had a successful Multi Update flash.
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Further testing reveals that either selecting COM 2 or Inverting COM both cause flash failure. Holding bind button is not necessary and has no affect. Leaving on defaults and then selecting the HEX file results in SUCCESS.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Why are you concerned, on the 'PRO, with needing the COM1 invert option set? The 'PRO includes a programmable hardware inverter that does the inversion.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

The concern is that I have never been able to get telemetry to work reliably. I wrote you a PM on 10/6/17 about it. It always quits working when ever I select another model from the model select screen. I was under the impression that the COM1 had to be inverted in the Multi options. I always had Invert Com in the Telemetry model menu enabled. It used to sometimes work even though the Multi update was "Failed", until a different model was used.

PROBLEM SOLVED..I just selected com invert "NONE" on the last screen of Telemetry menu. And now it's working, even when I change models and change back. The module must have an internal com inverter and therefore the 9xRPro doesn't need to invert it.
Thanks for the help, it may or may not have helped this problem but it's working now.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just a question because you said you had to invert COM1 everytime you load a new model..
Is the radio's RTC ( real time clock) working?
Does it keep the time and date?
If not you will have to replace the RTC battery inside the radio. It is a button battery installed on the motherboard.
The RTC also affects COM1.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Yes, Mike had me check the battery and it's good. Never loses time or any model settings, even when the main 3s lipo is changed. It always was a mystery, the telemetry would work sometimes after a failed attempt at Multi Update. Once it was working it would work until I selected a different model. Then I would have to do maybe several Failed Multi Updates to get it working again. Now that I've selected NONE on the Telemetry menu it's working perfectly. I think Hobby King has added a hardware inverter to the Module. It says right on it "with Telemetry". See my inline picture on the above Jun. 8 post. Thanks for your interest.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The module uses an AVR XMEGA device that supports inverting the I/O signals from firmware. This option is set by the firmware you flash to the module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
sircrashalot

Post by sircrashalot »

I have been trying to flash the multi firmware on my module all day. My Tx is the Turnigy 9XR Pro, and I have updated the firmware on it to enable flashing from the Tx. The module I have is the one on the second page, 8th post. I cut the trace and ran the telemetry wire. I was successfully able to flash using the Update Xmega to flash the bootloader but every time I try to flash the Update Multi it fails.

I keep reading about having to solder in jumper where there should be resistors but I do not see where they need to go, does anyone have a picture of these?

p.s. I made sure to download everything from the first post and the latest firmware that mike had posted for the 9xr pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please confirm you have tried:
1. Invert Com Port as both No and Yes.
2. You have powered the radio on holding the "bind" button on the module pressed (tends to need 3 hands!).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “RF MODULES”