My Taranis Spektrum module

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
aV8erUK

Re: My Taranis Spektrum module

Post by aV8erUK »

Hi Meute

I used one of these that I must have had already.

Frsky cable

meute

Post by meute »

Hello,
aV8erUK wrote: I used one of these that I must have had already.

Frsky cable
Thank you.

Too bad that you did not mention this info in your first post.
Then I would have ordered the cable equal to the Corona module.

Perhaps you can edit your post on page 1.

Bye
meute
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

Good point meute

I've now added a mention of that cable.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I thought RP-SMA connectors were easy to solder, but apparently the type of connector used for adapters or extension leads is crimped, making it virtually impossible to solder. The recommended UF-L to RP-SMA adapter cable seems to be the only option.
bailster

Post by bailster »

@jprikkel...

I'm extremely interested in your PCB design and the parts you've used. My Taranis is in the mail and I'm more than ready to butcher the DX6i
Are you willing to share this information? Have you done so elsewhere/another post?

Many thanks.
Procrastination is also a hobby.

Befetti

Post by Befetti »

jprikkel wrote:Here is simple PCB I put together for my DSMX modules pulled from dx4e's. The PCB fits the spektrum DM9 replacement jr module case and a Jr module case I designed. Let me know if anyone is interested in the PCB or the case. I plan to post the Jr module case 3D model soon after I get a 3d printer I backed on kickstarter.
@JPrikkel Would you please post your pcb artwork file and the box 3d file. I have a mate with a 3d printer who would be keen to try to print the box. If you have a few of the pcbs lying around I would like to arrange to get one from you.
bailster

Post by bailster »

jprikkel wrote:@Philipp, let me dig up my receipts. I will send it to you for the cost. I like the 2x5 sockets. I put one in the dx4e radio so I could swap back and forth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

@jprikkel, I'm still very interested to know if the parts list and PCB design are something you're sharing... I'd be more than happy to pay for the knowledge too. Forgive me, but I found what appears to be an "updated" version of your PCB on your shared OSH Park profile. Can i assume you're not all that fussed about others paying for a copy for themselves? I figure the fact that its publicly available means you're willing to share! If not, you might like to hide the design.

If I can order my own PCB based off your design (version 2.0) at OSH, can you share the rest of the parts list as you've defined it? I get the feeling looking at your Version 2 design that you've added some extra features - or are at least working to add them. Very excited by your work.

await your answer in anticipation.
Procrastination is also a hobby.
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

hello, waiting on the call for the model b taranis.

but want fit dsmx aswell and relay like this setup,

anyone have idiots guide to this? would prefer one of jprikkel boards and mount my parts as look sbe clean setup
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

i would be very interested in the board aswell.

i am not what call great at elecs so an idiots guide be great

waiting on dealer to give me call as i am on waiting list a while now
Befetti

Post by Befetti »

@jprikkel. What did you use for your JP1 connector? Also, where can one get them.
Thanks
bmitchell138

Post by bmitchell138 »

Are you still offering the PCB for sale? If so, I am interesting in purchasing one from you.
jprikkel wrote:Here is simple PCB I put together for my DSMX modules pulled from dx4e's. The PCB fits the spektrum DM9 replacement jr module case and a Jr module case I designed. Let me know if anyone is interested in the PCB or the case. I plan to post the Jr module case 3D model soon after I get a 3d printer I backed on kickstarter.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

I am still have a few available. I am unfortunately out of town for two weeks. I will post an update and as soon as I get back. Pm with you address if you are still interested. Thanks, John

tinklerc

Post by tinklerc »

Hi All,

I've just finished building my hack module on prototype board, which is working nicely (thank you all for the great info in this thread), but, I've come across an issue with binding. I've had a hunt around on the forum and online, and I can't find anyone else mentioning this problem.

I can bind to a Spektrum receiver just fine, either DSM2 or DSMX, but as soon as I change models on the Taranis, or power the radio off and back on again, the bind is lost, and I have to rebind the model again. If I leave the radio on, and disconnect and reconnect the model/receiver battery, bind is maintained. It seems that the Taranis is not remembering the bind, even though I've allocated it to a receiver number.

Is this expected behaviour? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Regards,

Craig
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

Craig are you taking the bind plug out of the Rx before you turn it on the second time?
tinklerc

Post by tinklerc »

Hi,

Yes, I've tried this with both a Blade 130X (which doesn't have a bind plug, you just power it up unbound and then bind), and also with an AR7200BX on a Blade 300X. With the AR7200BX, yes, the bind plug was removed before switching on the second time. Works fine until you power the Radio off or switch models. So long as you don't do that... can be flown back to back without issues.
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

The one thing I have found, is that if I've been flying with one model using internal FrSky RF, then select a model that uses the Spektrum module, the Spektrum Rx does not respond at all. However if I select the Spektrum model memory, then switch Tx off and on again, it all fires up fine and is still bound. i.e. I never need to rebind

Other than that it all works perfectly for me.
tinklerc

Post by tinklerc »

I've upgraded to OpenTX 2.0.0. Problems solved. Everything binds and stays bound now. I don't know what the issue was with my r2940 firmware, especially as no one else anywhere seemed to be having the same issue, but the upgrade has fixed it.

The only odd thing I've noticed with the 2.0.0 firmware is that for the DSM2/DSMX option, it seems to now only allow 20 receiver numbers, whereas the internal module allows 64. I thought, maybe it's a separate independent group, but if you select a number that's already been used by the internal module... you get an error. Not an issue.... just a bit odd. You'd think it would either be independent.... or just have the full 64 as well.
jafierst

Post by jafierst »

jprikkel wrote:I am still have a few available. I am unfortunately out of town for two weeks. I will post an update and as soon as I get back. Pm with you address if you are still interested. Thanks, John
I too would be interested in a board if they are still available... I tried to PM you, but I need to post some more first.
Nfluester

Post by Nfluester »

I would be interested in one of the boards or the design I could take to a local pcb maker.

Can I ask a stupid noob question:

If you use a dx4e module are you limited to only 4 channels?

Thanks

Neil
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

No. The module, like the transmitter is a six-channel. Same with DX5e.
hosko11

Post by hosko11 »

jprikkel wrote:I am still have a few available. I am unfortunately out of town for two weeks. I will post an update and as soon as I get back. Pm with you address if you are still interested. Thanks, John

Hey John,
That's neat little design you've come up with. I'd be interested in any boards you might have left also and the components list. If you don't have any boards left could you please at least let me know the component list? I might get another board made based on your OSH park design.
Cheers,
Hosko
hosko11

Post by hosko11 »

hosko11 wrote:

Hey John,
That's neat little design you've come up with. I'd be interested in any boards you might have left also and the components list. If you don't have any boards left could you please at least let me know the component list? I might get another board made based on your OSH park design.
Cheers,
Hosko
At the very least, what is the connector you've denoted as JP1 - they're very cool.
Cheers,
Hosko
Nurffe

Post by Nurffe »

I'm also interested about buying board if possible, however seems like I cannot send PMs :|
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Hi, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I have enough extra parts for 4 fully populated boards. I will solder and send them out tested. PM me. I think you need a few posts before you can PM.

Thanks,
John
Nfluester

Post by Nfluester »

i would definitely like one, i can't PM you as have only just registered, not sure if you can PM me?
Nurffe

Post by Nurffe »

jprikkel, please reserver one for me. Hopefully I can PM after this message
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

I found your design on the OSH Park site, hope you don't mind that I ordered some.

Do you have a BOM for the parts you used?

Is the 3D printed case available somewhere for me to print?

Assuming I don't screw mine up, I'll have two extra PCB's when I'm done if someone is interested (cost + postage).
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

I don't mind ordering from OSH Park. I will post the BOM soon. It works in a spektrum case. I am almost done designing a case. The kickstarter printer I ordered just arrived and finally have most of the problems resolved with it.
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the BOM.

Are you planning to seel or share the case design? I'm working on a Mini Kossel of my own so in theory once I get the kinks worked out I could print one. Might just be easier to by the Spektrum shell for now though :mrgreen:
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

Can I ask

Dumb i know,

but what parts are needed once buy your board?

the board, dx4/5 etc moduble but anything else?

Return to “RF MODULES”