My Taranis Spektrum module

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
Philipp

Re: My Taranis Spektrum module

Post by Philipp »

Thanks!
I like the case very much, it looks quite slick, fits nice and the antenna design is great for use with the taranis in my opinion.
You can still lay the tarianis flat on a table and the antenna does not get in the way when using the internal rf module and the Spektrum one parallel/alternatively

Daedalus66

My Taranis Spektrum module

Post by Daedalus66 »

Nice job.

I use a Spektrum DM9 module in my Taranis and am very satisfied with the case and antenna arrangement. Next step is to install the hack DX4e module in a spare case I bought for the purpose. About the only issue I have had is that the antenna swivel is quite floppy; the fix so far has been a rather inelegant piece of tape over it.

By the way, as I'm sure you know, it's important that the two antennas not be parallel when operating, as the dead one will absorb power from the live one.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Yeah, the DM9 antenna is quite floppy indeed. Just not floppy enough to motivate me fixing it with some tape or sanding inside the case. Tape on the outside of my new shiny handmade DSMX module is not an appealing option for me :roll:
Thanks for the tip regarding the relative orientation of the two antennas! I usually have them 90° apart, since I like to have the active one on 12 o' clock for maximum range and the unused one on 3 or 9 simply because that's their storage position. ;)
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Philipp wrote: Thanks for the tip regarding the relative orientation of the two antennas! I usually have them 90° apart, since I like to have the active one on 12 o' clock for maximum range and the unused one on 3 or 9 simply because that's their storage position. ;)
Even having them at 45 degrees seems to be sufficient unless you are looking for absolute maximum range.

You are inspiring me to get on and do my own module.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

12 o'clock? You mean pointing at the model for maximum range?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Philipp

Post by Philipp »

nup, that wouldn't be that good, right? :D
By 12 o'clock I mean the antenna sticking up in the air, perpendicular to the horizon, with the folding element bent 90°. I guess 12 o'clock was not the best way to describe the orientation of the antenna ;)
A picture would've been better in the first place:
[thumbnail]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/157 ... AG0728.jpg[/thumbnail]
Daedalus66 wrote:You are inspiring me to get on and do my own module.
Well, that is what this forum is about as far as i can tell as a new member ;) I'm really exited to hear about new features being implemented all the time, just like this DSMX feature that was ported from the 9X version of openTX. I'm really exited about the new USB bootloader for the Taranis aswell, this will allow me to flash firmware updates without all the hassle the current Zadig driver is giving me in conjunction with Win7 x64. For me this is motivating and inspiring, too! :)
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Here is simple PCB I put together for my DSMX modules pulled from dx4e's. The PCB fits the spektrum DM9 replacement jr module case and a Jr module case I designed. Let me know if anyone is interested in the PCB or the case. I plan to post the Jr module case 3D model soon after I get a 3d printer I backed on kickstarter.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1391369914936.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391369857150.jpg
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

Great stuff jprikkel, that looks excellent. I would certainly have been interested, had I not already made mine.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Very nice stuff indeed!!
I was tempted to buy one of the Corona modules to cut some traces and to make a neat professional looking Spektrum module out of it. I was even thinking of designing an adapter board just like you did.
My module turned out to be a dud, I have still to find the fault, I am suspecting the X1TX0 / DX5e tx module. If the antenna of my DM9 case is not the fault, i would like to buy one pcb from you, aswell as two or more of those super nice 5 pin spring connectors and 2x5 1mil sockets.
If you have some extra pcbs and parts, make a price! ;)
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

@Philipp, let me dig up my receipts. I will send it to you for the cost. I like the 2x5 sockets. I put one in the dx4e radio so I could swap back and forth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

This would be super nice! :)
Where did you order the pcbs? The purple soldermask looks like they were produced at OSH. Would you recommend them?
Would you mind sharing your source for these awesome spring contacts that you used for JP1? I'm tempted to do a very similar board, mainly for kicks and personal education in eagle, kicad etc and to include a power led :D

I'm very interested in your JR module case project as well, I wish you a lot of fun with your 3D printer! ;)
If you have any interest in designing an replacement case lid for the orangeRX JR modules like the DSMX/openLRS to improve their ridiculous antenna placement, let us know! I am interested in working on this and might even try to convince hobbyking to change the antenna placement on their modules.
[thumbnail]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/157 ... _jr_10.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/157 ... _jr_11.jpg[/thumbnail]
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

The board is from OSH. No problems. Fine for a small run.

I will share the eagle files and the parts list. I should post the details tomorrow.

I could help with the lid. That should be easy. My printer isn't shipping yet so that could be a few months. I like to prototype and test the results.
kaos

Post by kaos »

[quote="Philipp"
I was tempted to buy one of the Corona modules to cut some traces and to make a neat professional looking Spektrum module out of it.[/quote]

for your info, the JR module box can be bought for 5.xx at Horizon hobby or Advantage hobby. they are original JR module box, fits perfectly.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

jprikkel wrote:I will share the eagle files and the parts list. I should post the details tomorrow.
I could help with the lid. That should be easy. My printer isn't shipping yet so that could be a few months.
Sounds great! :) Don't feel rushed on this, I'm just excited to see somebody already (partly) did what I was thinking to do eventually :D
kaos wrote:for your info, the JR module box can be bought for 5.xx at Horizon hobby or Advantage hobby. they are original JR module box, fits perfectly.
You're right, Horizon is selling empty JR modules for very reasonable 5.95$, but these have a plain even lid and I have not found them anywhere else. Shipping them to Germany is quite expensive if I remember correctly and I was looking for a case with an antenna top-mount option, just like the corona module or FrSky's XJT modules. The Corona module from giantshark.co.uk is a very appealing option for £7.95 (12.94$) considering that it includes a nice pcb with 3.3V switching regulator and (RP-)SMA connector.
However now I think jprikkel's pcb in combination with a Spektrum DM9 replacement case is propably the nicest and cleanest solution. Since my diy veroboard DM9 module is giving me a hard time and I have yet to find the reason for its poor performance, I will definitely buy one of jprikkel's pcbs and maybe another DX4e as a donor. :D
emaxx

Post by emaxx »

I also really like the Plug And Play PBC for the DX5E module. Very nice design!!! If you ship them to Switzerland i would buy one ( depending on the price : ) ) Would it work with a module from a DX6i? Thanks in advance : )
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Maybe we should start a new thread on design of the PCB? I just updated it to support MPL4DSM modules too. Any other suggestions to add?

Thanks,
John
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

@emaxx, I haven't tested with DX6i modules, but everything I read says they are basically the same for DX4e, DX5e, and DX6i.

John
emaxx

Post by emaxx »

Thanks for the information. I plan to use my module from my dx6i, since i only use the radio for my simulator - it should continue to work for the sim without the module as far as i have read.

@jprikkel: I don't have the permission to send PMs - can somebody enable this for me plaese?. The FAQ says to contact a admin, but i did not know how to do that without PM : )
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You needed to have at least 2 posts - should be good now.
Doug101

Post by Doug101 »

@jprikkel: sent you a PM
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

@Doug101, sorry, I missed your PM.

@Philipp, What push button switch did you use with your design? Did that mechanically fit the DM9 button "plunger" well?

Does everyone think a push button switch is needed? What is the advantage?

What about an LED? Useful? Should that be on solid or blink with the PPM input?

Thanks,
John
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I just used a salvaged standard cheap push button switch with a ~3mm long shaft which fit the DM9 push rod well. This button does nothing though, in my design it is just a mount for the push rod. The led only indicates that JR module bay power is active and the voltage regulator is working. I don't know if the DX5e / X1TXN module has a status led output, this might be useful. I received your package yesterday and assembled it, i like it very much! :D Unfortunately my X1TXN module salvaged from what looks to be a DM9 or DM12 module that was modified by its previous owner for use in a Graupner MC22 or similar does not work in my Taranis for reasons that I'm not able to troubleshoot at the moment. I might have to get another DX4e, since the module out of the first one i tore down does lose link at less than 100m... Murphy i guess :x There might be a point where I invested more in DX4e's and other sources for Spektrum's X1TXNs than in my DX6i or the Taranis :oops:

I'm over my head with work right now, I'll have more spare time by the end of next week. And maybe another DX4e :roll:
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

Does anyone know if an old Dx6i "DSM2 only" module would work for this mod. Obviously DSMX wouldn't be available.

Also: does anyone know why with my Dx4e module, I select DSMX and bind OK. But if I open the model in C9X and save it back to the Tx, the protocol shown is LP45?. And what on earth is this?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yeah it's a bug in C9X. LP45 mode is for modules taken out of the "toy" short range LPxDSM radios.
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

Thanks.
So, If I bind with DSMX, then just happen to work on another model, when I save the eeprom back to the Tx and that action changes it to LP45. Am I in a short range mode?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It shouldn't actually change anything. If it works...
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Any suggestions on the best way to implement a range test on the PCB?

Thanks,
John
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

It does continue working yes. Thanks.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

ReSt wrote:btw, what I do is, whenever I find an info here in the forum that looks like a good trick or something that I may need sometimes, I copy that info into a simple text-file, my "Tips and Tricks"
Reinhard
I find Evernote very good for this sort of thing. It handles text, pictures, URL's, etc. and allows searching even for words within graphics. Best of all, I can access it from my Windows desktop and laptop, as well as my iPad.
meute

Post by meute »

Hello,

sorry, but my english ist not so good.
aV8erUK wrote: The RF module is from a DX4e transmitter.
When looking for a case, I found a Corona JR module for £7.95.
I have also desoldered a RF module from a DX4e.
And I also bought a Corona CT8J JR Module.

Now my problem.
The antenna cable in the DX4e has a plug and the Spektrum RF module also.
The antenna cable in Corona CT8J JR module is soldered.
The antenna at the Corona module is bolted outside. Therefore I can not use the antenna cable of the DX4e at the Corona module.

How can I solve the problem?
Do I need to buy a new antenna?
Or what else?

Bye
meute

Return to “RF MODULES”