why this is happening?

What skills do you need to start working on the 9x? Any recommended hardware?
kaos

why this is happening?

Post by kaos »

I was going to make my cloverleaf antenna. got the copper coated welding wire (.78 mm) and start working on it. tinned the antenna core and shielding wires with no problem. but when I try to tin the welding wire, the solder won't go on there, it just flows on the welding wire and does not want to stick on it. if I leave the iron tip longer on the welding wire, now it turns black like it is oxidized, but it can be wiped off with steel wire brush easy.
can't figure out why the welding wire won't be tinned? and where this black stuff coming from? from the flux in the solder core?
I am using rosin core solder.

Kilrah

Re: why this is happening?

Post by Kilrah »

I answered that via PM a few days ago :mrgreen:
Hmm, I guess the wire you have is coated. That would be good for durability as the antenna wouldn't oxidise, but you'd have to remove the enamel where you have to solder. One method that isn't too bad is to burn the enamel with a lighter where you need, then scrape off the remains with a cutter.
Some welding wires have "helper" substances (similar effect than the flux in electronic solder wire) that are coated, and will only melt at the very high temperatures that are in effect when used.
kaos

Post by kaos »

yes, and I tried to burn it off. I think I may have burned off some copper coating too. ;) the steel color starts showing. But , still the solder just won't stick on the wire. and the black stuff just keep on coming out whenever I put solder on it. Just trying to see if there is other explanation. For very little area where the solder does stick on the wire, when solder point is reapplied, those just come off and flow on the wire too.
can these wire be coated with nano taflon? :mrgreen:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Odd that.. Seeing the wire (which I assume is steel) is copper coated, solder using a standard flux should have taken to it.. Next step would be to use an acid based flux to get things going. As to the black stuff. Look at the item below.

---> http://www.willingtons.com/mymac/soldering.htm

*makes a note of the date and grabs her hat and coat. :D

Return to “Soldering, Hardware, Skills”