delta ray template

If you have a model config you would like to share. Post it here!
idar66

delta ray template

Post by idar66 »

this is a epee template for hobby zone delta ray, mode switch on sb switch, panic is on sh switch, there are no curves or custom sounds added which can added if you wish, this is set up for taranis with open tx 2.0 or above but can be used with 9xr with switch changes, all credit for this goes to daedalus.
Attachments
delta ray.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Last edited by idar66 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdeanchurch

Re: delta ray template

Post by rdeanchurch »

Have your tested this on a Delta Ray?
I ask because I'm setting up a Taranis for the DR, and to do so I saw a post on the DR thread of RcGroups.
It had weird values for the Mode switch.closer to 40,30,-60. Also it had panic switch at -100,100 while the -80,80 makes more sense to me.
So I borrowed a DX4e and bound a Ar receiver to it and measure the throws.
They were closer to -80,25,80 just eye balling it. That seemed to confirm the off-center Intermediate mode.

I don't have a DR to test it.

P.S., you post says mode on se, but eepe has it on sb.
I'm just trying to set my trans for friend who bought a BNF version because they were out of RTF.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The file reflects my suggestions. The rationale for +/-80 is very solid as a Spektrum transmitter set to 100% throw puts out a pulse that ranges from 1100 to 1900 usec. To get this with Taranis, ER9X, etc. you have to set throw to 80%.

You might argue that excess throw on the switches doesn't matter, but apparently it does, as we have reports of strange behavior when set to 100 on Taranis, etc (125% for Spektrum).

As for the apparently off center setting of the middle position of the DX4e switch, I don't have one of the new ones with 3-position switch to test, so assumed it should be centered. I would still assume that centered should work, as the instructions for using programmable transmitters such as DX9 say nothing to the contrary. I would expect the setting not to be critical anyway, as the receiver just has to identify three states. I would not be surprised if the middle position could be anywhere in a range such as +/-40%. But I have no way to check, so would appreciate hearing of experiences.

One other thing. In my template I set the throttle to -100 to +80. This is equivalent to setting throttle trim to full low. It should be a safe setting to achieve arming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Yeah, your thinking followed my exactly on the 100 for T vs vs 125 for JR?aspektrum ranges.
I can see where the switch might not be critical, but throws on servos could be. I like the whole idea of yours much better as it seems logical. The one I got from the DR rcGroups was, reportedly tested. If the owner of the DX4 OKs it, I will open it up and see how the switch is wired.

I'm also wondering if an older DX 4 that only had a 2 position switch has a place on the board to make it a 3 posision..a couple resistors, new switch and a pad on the board should do it.

Dean
Dean
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I'll take a look at a DX4e but I doubt they would have been far sighted enough in 2010 to see the future need for a three position gear switch.

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

I would appreciate your looking. Owner of the new one hasn't got back to me.
Delta Ray really catching on in my group, 4 now. All really newbies. I'ld like to see them succeed.
Dean
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I took a look inside one that's about three years old. The board is marked "DX4e v1.5". You can trace the wires from the switch (orange and black) to a connector on the board and follow the path from there straight into the encoder chip. No sign of a spare pin for a third wire or any places where extra components might be installed.

Doesn't look like there's any way to go to a three position switch. If you have only a two position switch, the SAFE system works in beginner and advanced modes but not intermediate. So quite usable.
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi yes this works great sorry about switch mistake, this works great i have all three modes and panic with no extra editing, daedalus did a great job, im sure there will be other ways to do this in open tx but this works for me as im just learning my way around taranis, i also put it into my 9xr but had to change switches around to suit 9xr, it sure beats using stock transmitter as with taranis i have sound on switches so i know what mode im in etc, idar66
Daedalus66

delta ray template

Post by Daedalus66 »

Glad to hear the the three way switch works properly to give all three modes, as it confirms my expectation that the middle position isn't particularly critical. So an output of -80, 0, 80 should do the trick in all cases.

It may be that there is a reason the three position switch on DX4e apparently has the middle position offset. Perhaps it's that way to ensure that when the switch is used to control a two way thing like gear, the middle position clearly gives one state or the other.

Glad hear you added voice to identify mode. That was going to be my next step.

I plan to publish versions of this for Taranis, 9XR, and 9x in OpenTX, as well as 9XR Pro in Ersky9x, and 9XR and 9x in ER9x. The basic principles are the same in all of them. So any comments or suggestions are welcome.

The great thing is that by emulating a DX5e, you have what you need to fly any of the BNF models, and a good starting point for programming other models.

Regarding other ways to do things in OpenTX, the main choices are where do you do expo/DR and limit travel to 80%. I originally did it all in the Mixer page, but then read the section in OpenTX University on model setup and reworked it so expo/DR are done in the Input page, Mixer weights are all 100% and throw limits are set on the Servos page.

There are also choices in how you set up the switches. I used the simplest possible setup, which automatically gives -100, 0, 100 (this is then converted to -80, 0, 80 in Servos page). But I could have set it up to give an offset middle position by controlling each switch position on a separate line. Lots of scope for learning about programming, I found.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Great to have confirmation on the DX5 emulation. It was so reasonable that I was afraid I was overlooking something.
The guy with the older DX4 bought it for $12 off e-Bay so he didn't lose all that much, but he is brand new to flying so should have just used the Taranis. I was willing to loan him my spare until I need it. He bought the DX4 before telling me he was going to. I would have warned about old 2 position vs new 3 position. Us old guys are stubborn and fiercely independent sometimes.

Thanks for doing the eepe and for confirming it, much appreciated. I've put voice for modes, rates, and PANIC on my T. Off to the field to meet with him as soon as fog,lifts.
Dean
KAL

Post by KAL »

For 12$ it is prone to be a donor for a TX module ... ;)
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Kal,
You are right.
We couldn't bind it to the Delta Ray, but the other Delta Ray owners newer version bound it to it and flew the plane fine.
Dean
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Old/new DX4e should bind with Delta Ray. If it doesn't, maybe the $12 was not such a bargain! :(
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

I also couldn't bind my T with Orange module.
I forgot my last bind was to a DSM2 receiver.

I did the unthinkable....I RTFM
Ok I know what I did wrong/
Dean
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi im running orange modual in my taranis apart from abit of RF noise it works great, when binding hold down bind button until modual beebs which can take a few secs after taranis screen warnings etc, also pushing the bind button three times changes the mode the mo-dual runs on, no light for standard 22ms dsm one light flashing once is dsm 11ms two flashing lights dsmx 22ms three lights flashing dsmx 11ms, also if you have trouble putting mo dual into taranis like i did what i did to fix it and make sure mo-dual was fitting propley is unscrew screws on mo dual and lift modual part out of plastic case then put the plastic case into taranis without the mo-dual in. then fit mo-dual into case and make sure each pin is in right place and mo dual is pushed right into case then fit lid and screw lid back on then fit areal and try bind like above and you should be golden, hope it helps idar66

Return to “Template Library”