Buddy box question

Programming your 9x using the stock firmware that comes with the radio. (Note. This is for the th9x, not the X9R)
Haighy

Buddy box question

Post by Haighy »

Hi,

I have a FlySky FSTH9X transmitter and I would like to buy another to buddy box with to help teach other people. I see there is a socket on the back, and I also see there are YouTube videos about modifications needed to make it work. Can anyone confirm what I need to do? Why on earth do they put a socket on it but expect you to have to make circuit board modifications?!

The transmitter I have is from GiantShark http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/170 ... e-receiver but they dont currently have any in stock, so a second question is, where is a good place to buy another from that will work with my current one.

many thanks,
Steve

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Buddy box question

Post by MikeB »

Modifications were only needed to work with certain other transmitters. Two FSTH9X will just plug together with a 3.5mm mono cable.

Try HobbyKing. The European Warehouse has them:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... rnigy.html
under the Turnigy 9X brand. They also have the 9XR which is compatible.
Unless you are in urgent need, you might consider waiting a bit and look at the 9XR-PRO, which is the 9XR but with a MUCH improved processor and capability (e.g. voice).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Haighy

Post by Haighy »

Right, I've got my second flysky 9x. When I plug in the mono cable both transmitter switch themselves on, but the trims are wrong unless I physically switch on the master transmitter. So far so good, but I can't get it to transfer control to the slave transmitter. Pulling the momentary action switch (top back right) doesn't do anything.

I'm new to this so I may be missing something obvious. Do I need to bind the slave radio to the plane (I haven't done, I'm assuming the master transmitter does all the transmitting)? Do I need to go through the menu and find a trainer mode setting somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Master must be on and bound.

Which firmware are you using on the radios? In any case yes there is menu configuration to do.
If it's the stock firmware the operation of the trainer switch is reversed so you might need to do some soldering to rewire the switch right.
Haighy

Post by Haighy »

Oh yes, thanks. I've found the trainer mode and got it working! Brilliant! I've dreamt of having a buddy box facility for 30 years!

For anyone else considering this, you need to also remove the module from the slave transmitter. Or do a bit of tinkering as described on here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/foru ... 15513&PN=3

I'm using the standard firmware. But would consider changing just for the fun of the challenge. Especially if it gets rid of the beep! (Pleasingly, my new transmitter is silent!). But it all looks a bit confusing to the beginner.

If you can point me to an idiots guide which starts at the beginning for me to learn what to do, that would be really useful!

Thanks again.

Return to “stock firmware (fly sky th9x)”