MQX and a Stock 9X

Programming your 9x using the stock firmware that comes with the radio. (Note. This is for the th9x, not the X9R)
ShoeSwitch

MQX and a Stock 9X

Post by ShoeSwitch »

<-- Newb here.
I have a bone stock Turnigy 9X and a (newer) OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 module and an e-flight/Blade MQX. It seems to bind okay but the controls are all 'wacked-out'. Not to put too fine a point on it: Right stick going down and left turns on 3 of the 4 motors on and careful manipulation of the sticks will allow a combination of the motors to turn on, but no combination of stick-input allows for controlled flight. I tried two different 9Xs (A friend has one)(With the same result), I then tried binding it to an OrangeRX receiver and it appears that two of the channels are reversed. After searching, I found nugget-clues where this would be the case and these three items will not work with each other right out of the box; but nothing definite. I have also messed with the 'Stick Set' under system settings. That allows to change the Mode (1,2,3,4), Swaps Channel 2 for 3 and Channel 1 for 4. No combination allows for control of the aircraft that makes sense.
For anyone not familiar, an MQX has a single circuit card with receiver, ESCs, and gyros integrated into it. There is no way to really mod the board that I could discern.
Now finally the question(s):

1. Should these three items (Turnigy 9X, OrangeRX DSM2 Module, and an MXQ) work together right out of the box?
2. Is the problem that the MQX and the Transmitter need to simply swap channels (an X for a Y) to make this work? Or is there a different problem?
3. It appears that most of this community is based on the Hacking/Modding/Reprogramming/Flashing a ‘Stock’ 9X to make it suit their needs. Is reprogramming the only way I can make this work or is there a setting hidden deep in the menus that will allow me to make this ‘bone stock’ transmitter work with this MQX?
4. If swapping channel 1 for 2 is a solution that is only fixable by flashing the transmitter, what if I just took the wires from an X-Pot and swapped it for a Y Pot? Is that a common fix for this?

Forgive me for being long winded. I’m new and there may be a terminology barrier. I was only trying to be clear(, and maybe get things strait in my head too.)
Thanks in-advance for anyone who can contribute to solving my issue.

Kilrah

Re: MQX and a Stock 9X

Post by Kilrah »

ShoeSwitch wrote:1. Should these three items (Turnigy 9X, OrangeRX DSM2 Module, and an MXQ) work together right out of the box?
No. The problem is that while the 9x has a JR module slot, its stock firmware uses Futaba channel ordering (Aileron=CH1, Elevator=CH2, Throttle=CH3 and Rudder=CH4) instead of the JR one (Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, which the MQX also expects).
ShoeSwitch wrote:4. If swapping channel 1 for 2 is a solution that is only fixable by flashing the transmitter, what if I just took the wires from an X-Pot and swapped it for a Y Pot? Is that a common fix for this?
It would need swapping of 3 sets of wires as you can see above. You might need to recalibrate the pots, which I think there is a method floating somewhere for the stock firmware. The downside is that function labels in the firmware will be wrong, and that all mixers won't be useable anymore (not that you need any for the mQX, but good to know if you then want to also use the radio with other models).
jhsa

Re: MQX and a Stock 9X

Post by jhsa »

yeah, just flash the damn thing.. then you can assign any stick to any channel you like ;) :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “stock firmware (fly sky th9x)”